Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

I dont recall Tess being quite so neurotic (except for the brief stint where she was obsessed with Buck.. which seemed very out of character for tess). I remember Tess being a hard-nose, workaholic.. where her whole purpose was making a mark on the world.

I recall many Tess/Sydney confrontations where Sydney basically would be dismissive of Tess.. while Tess was trying to prove she was in the same league as Sydney.

Lindsey, on the other hand, seemed very neurotic and not so career-driven. Yes, she owned an art gallery, but her main focus seemed to be making her rival miserable, etc.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I thought those Ally/Danny scenes were actually very, very good. TK was in full Young Brando mode back then. He and Laura Wright always had such chemistry and I thought it was a waste they didn't re-pair Carly and Lorenzo on GH when she arrived. Maybe they can try again when/if he returns to GH. Admittedly, my take on Ally and Danny there is skewed by the fact that I only very, very vaguely remember what role Danny played in Casey's death. But it seems like they really tried with that redemption arc and had a capable performer - unlike, say, the Bobby Ford saga on OLTL.

I loved Richard. So cute.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It was too forced for me. He was also very aggressive with her in some of those scenes at the studio, and I know we were supposed to think she was kind of into it, but Laura Wright didn't play that at all for me. I probably would have taken them (once he was less of an oil slick) over boring, annoying Tony, but that was about it.

I'm also not a fan of the Todd Manning-style, "Don't you know how hard this is for him?????" type writing, which was all over the November episode.

Edited by CarlD2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've never been very interested in "The City" but I find these episodes and 'flakes' (great term SFK) intriguing.

Visually, the show is strong and I can see why Jean Dadario Burke landed at AMC. Ignoring the lack of story and weak characterization, the show is stunning. I'm wondering what would have been if Burke could have EPed Claire Labine's "Union Place" using the sets from "the City."

While I like the look, I find some of the characters out of place in a very real location. Watching some of the scenes at the bar between rock star Nick Rivers and television producer Richard Wilkins seems a bit awkward given the dialogue and the story. Some of the other Corinth transplants seem so out of place. On the otherhand, I have fallen under the charm of Maggie Rush, who I've only known as the psychic who found Angie's adopted baby in the finale.

The stuff with Cooper arriving in New York for the holidays was well done. Without a doubt, Heinle did her best soap work on "Loving" / "The City." Weatherly is still good as Cooper. I kind of like the family Jacob, Angie, Frankie, Zoey, and Kayla make. Kayla's goodbye was well done and I like the scene with Sydney / Richard talk about Richard's break up with Zoey. At times, the show reminds me of the European soaps (both the British and the German).

SFK, thanks for posting these.

• Members

You are so welcome! Admittedly, I've been a little self-conscious about these episodes I've posted because it never seems like much is going on. I've wondered if I just fell under the spell of this show's look and concept. My jaw drops looking at the utter size of those loft sets. I think they had a very nice ensemble of actors, but the show needed a jolt. One doesn't really feel the pulse of "the city" while watching. I recall a very early scene, maybe the first episode I caught actually, where I guess Nick had pulled open Sydney's blouse and they were in a close embrace, Morgan's ample bosom heaving in her bra. I thought that was so hot and exciting and the rest of the episode had a beat and a fire too it. But all too often, the show feels like a cold Manhattan morning, around 10am when I'm still sort of sleepy and cranky because the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

• Members

It seems that they had the transgendered s/l planned all along because I remember reading the character breakdown in SOD before the show premiered, and they talked about her "mysterious past". I honestly don't remember anything exciting about the character. I do remember seeing the denouement episode with her and Bernardo and even that fell flat.

Edited by SFK