Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Another big batch has been uploaded, this time a month's worth from May-June 1993. It's so exciting. We could end up with the last nearly two years of the show at this rate!

P.S. If you've only got time for one episode, make it the one from May 12 (and thank me later).

Edited by Franko

• Members

January '93, on a break from LM:

Patricia Barry - glamorous, chic and imposing, AMC's Peg English (was Agnes in one the recast?) - is instantly more compelling an Isabelle than nice old lady Augusta Dabney. I've yet to see the legendary Celeste Holm in the role but I love her Hollywood work. It's interesting how dramatically they'd change a traditional elder female character based on a recast, or was Dabney's original ever an operator like Barry's? I guess when Agnes brought Cabot back her role was seen as redundant. Barry and Wesley Addy together would be interesting to see; based on my memory of Addy's work in film and occasionally here, she's tougher than he is.

They are really working those (wonderful) film score cues from Jennifer 8 and Presumed Innocent to death. We now know Gottlieb was involved at LOV in '95, but could this be her influence across the daypart earlier? She used many film cues at OLTL; OTOH, some soaps had used them prior to the advent of Gottlieb.

They are still treating Gwyneth very differently (negligee, young stud Armand - what happened to him?) than they would by November (and Agnes), when she comes off as a frumpy woman in a midlife crisis desperate to hold on to Buck. This show really did burn through story insanely fast. The year opens on Jeremy, the most powerful college art instructor ever, being teased with Stacey, while Ava is fully into the frankly very dim-seeming Leo. By summer's end or so Ava has burned through both Leo and Jeremy and on to Alex, Stacey is being pulled to Buck I guess, etc. No clue how things ended with Jeremy and Stacey. All I know is Susan Keith is wasted with or without Leo as far as I see.

When did Jack Forbes die, why did they kill him off and how long did it take for Clay to marry Stacey? In fairness they were clearly bored with Jack beforehand, as I can recall them teasing Stacey with Trucker the previous spring during that hidden room caper - which led to the reveal of Clay's paternity, right? Clay's drunken lament and justification for his scheme at her bedside was another excellent showcase for Dennis Parlato.

Nada Rowland seems dressed and styled much more as a geriatric woman than she would a year or two later. Also, Ally watching AMC on the couch - lol.

This is Guza and Taggert, right? Agnes is later in the year. Who introduces Steffi?

Edited by Vee

Clay and Steffi had off the charts chemistry. During their first scenes. Not really into the Leo/Ava/Shana triangle. Buck and Gwyneth's love scenes were red hot. This Curtis was pretty. But beyond BLAND. Loved seeing the legendary Phoebe crossing over for the party.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Nixon's original plan was to reveal that Johnny Forbes was behind the prostitution ring; his underworld ventures being how he had amassed his wealth. When Johnny was found out, he was to take his own life. Personally, I think there was some value in keeping Johnny around, but they really weren't telling too many stories with characters of that generation. It would have given Roger a sounding board. 

By the end of the story, Egypt admits she was wrong. I haven't watched the episodes again. Is Egypt's departure in it? I thought it was effective in tying up loose ends and leaving Egypt in a better shape than she arrived. Nixon definitely had Ava and Alex involved in bigger stories which is why we get Egypt faking her death. 

The video store was around for a bit during Nixon's run. I don't know if its featured, but in most scenes there is a rather prominent display of ABC soap operas on VHS for rental. 

When Alex returns in 1993, there are a lot of Alex / Dinahlee scenes. I don't know if that was the direction the show was heading or it was simply to create tension for Ava. Anyway, when Ava is recounting the Alex / Clay saga, Ava states that Alex was a con artist who became too involved with the Alden family. I think the backstory was rewritten several times over. Originally, Clay went missing in Paris around the time Gwyn and Trisha arrive in Corinth for Christmas in 1984. When Christopher Marcantel departs in June 1985, Curtis leaves Corinth to find his father who he believes is in Thailand or Singapore. In August 1985, Linden Ashby arrives in Corinth as Curtis and announces that he has found proof that his father is indeed dead. 

Like so many stories, I think the Clay is Alex plot was written by several writers. Marland, and then Nixon, handled the 1985 initial departure. Then, Ralph Ellis initiated Clay's return to Corinth in the form of Alex. There's a writer's strike in 1988 when the plot is really kicking into high gears (Egypt's arrival) and then Tom King and Millee Taggart do all the spy / POW stuff. I think the outcome is why people liked the story; everyone preferred Alex's Clay to the true Clay. 

Patrick Johnson starts in those episodes, but Michael Lord is the Curtis by the end of those episodes. 

• Members

Okay so Chris Marcantel was OG Curtis from 1983-85

Then Linden Ashby from 1985-86

Was Burke Moses right after til 1988?

Chip Albers took Over in 1989 and left in 91?

When did Patrick T Johnson start. I know he left in May 1993

Michael Lord aired June-Dec 1993

Then CM returned in DEC 1993

Right?