Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

Out of curiosity, was there much exploration done into the sibling relationship between Buck and Trucker in the couple of years they were on LOV together? Or was that more of a plot point connected with the Trisha exit story?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Loved the shade that Christine Tudor threw at Michael Weatherly at the reunion. Especially he turned out to be such an A hole

Also according to IMDB Christine Tudor & Noelle Beck are the same age IRL

• Members

That would be weird as she would have been only 27 in 1984 when she debuted on Loving. And also Chris Marcantel was born in 1958 according to Wikipedia, which would have meant “mother” and “son” were almost the same age

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Let me see if I can get that one on there. If I do, I'll try to upload a November 1994 episode with it that plays the same reveal but in a different context. 

I don't think you are wrong regarding Alex's motives. I was commenting that, when I was first watching this, I thought they were pursuing one angle and they didn't. I don't have any real feelings for Egypt so this story doesn't really bother me. Egypt definitely is taken to an extreme, but I do find some of the details of the plot fun. It's not an award winning story but I appreciate the fact that Alex never really doubts Ava, which would have been the obvious angle to play. 

I'm jumping around 1994 so I don't really know where Nixon ends the Curtis story. I really hate the Curtis causes the plane crash angle. When I first was reading the daily recaps from rats years ago, I thought they should have had Janie Sinclaire marry Curtis as and have him locked in Dunellyn. At one point, scheming Janie convinces Coop and Steffi that she is Clay's mistress. I'm looking forward to those scenes, which I haven't gotten to yet. 

Regarding Shana, the original Shana / Leo story is remembered mostly for the artificial insemination angle and Shana's desire to have a child. What is often downplayed is that Leo only agrees to father Shana's baby initially because he needs a loan to bail out Burnell's department store. Shana agreed to co-sign the loan in return for Leo's genetic material. This was a rather important story thread that only started to really develop in the last few weeks of Taggert / Guza's run when, after six months, Leo is unable to repay the loan and Shana is given control of Burnell's. This story was clearly intended to be the second round of the Leo / Shana / Ava triangle as the banker asks immediately if Shana has plans to make any personnel changes now that she is in charge, particularly Ava's role as manager. Nixon comes on and never explores that story thread. The developmental issues had been introduced by Taggart and Guza, but Nixon focuses in on those. 

Trucker and Buck quickly fell into a brotherly relationship. I don't think the original deception angle was ever really explored too deeply. Buck was quickly shifted into Gwyn's hired stud who got drunk one night and ended up the front steps of the Forbes home. Trucker and Buck were similar type of characters, but Buck was more insecure in terms of the class issues. He was constantly trying to make money in order to prove himself. When Buck isn't working at the Rodeo Bar, he was typically employed by Trucker at the bike shop, though he also had a stint as a pilot for AE. The relationship could have been more complicated and it definitely didn't seem like they hadn't grown up together. I wouldn't say it was a deep relationship, but more functional in terms of progressing the story. 

As has been pointed out, Tudor is more than likely not Beck's age, but casting on most soaps in the 1980s was bizarre when it came to parents of young adults. In the reunion video, Callan White commented she was playing a grandmother at 29. There is no way that James Horan or Christine Tudor Newman were old enough to play the characters they were playing. 

• Members

Thanks again for all your help on these details. I wish they had done more with Janie. I don't even think I've ever seen her but the potential is clearly there - her death seems so random, and makes me wonder if it's part of ABC's general pulling back on black characters (even if Loving still had their share at that time).

What did Christine say about Weatherly? 

• Members

Thanks heaps for this. It’s just weird that with all of the 1993-1995 episodes uploaded thus far, none have featured them together, and I’m interested to see what the chemistry was like between Robert Tyler and Phillip Brown.