Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

No, I think the character's DEATH had something to do with it. 

Please register in order to view this content

Bridges and Page were stunt cast to draw viewers to the pilot movie where they'd hopefully take enough interest in the rest of the action to tune in on Monday. The movie is clearly scripted to relieve the two stars of their duties by having them be the murderer and the murdered. Cranston talks about this in his book, how promos flashed shots of the various cast members teasing who would be the victim and who would be the culprit and it was evident that it would be the two movie stars.

I have a foggy memory of a Bridges quote Seli Groves uses in her Ultimate Soap Opera Guide. I think he was asked how he liked working on the soap/would he do it again, and Bridges says something to the effect that he enjoyed the experience enough, but they killed his character so it was a moot point. Groves follows this with a quip about how we daytime fans know that soap death is seldom permanent.

I'm a huge fan of Geraldine Page, I think she's the best thing about the whole two hours. She would have been an extraordinary addition to any soap, if only for a three-month arc. Imagine what Lemay would have written for her.

• Members

Geraldine Page is in my top 3 actors.  Back then, especially, there was no way either of those actors would have agreed to a daytime soap in a regular role.  I mean yes Kim Hunter had done an arc on Edge of Night, etc, but Page and Bridges' careers were still more prominent than hers was when she was on a soap. 

Wait--Cranston has a book and mentions Loving?? 

Director Michael Lindsay-Hogg is semi active on FB.  A couple of times, and maybe after a couple of drinks, I've been tempted to message him and ask him about his memories (if he has any) of the pilot film.  But then think better of it.  (Though, I mean, surely he's tired of all those questions about  Brideshead Revisited, or his dozens of Rolling Stones videos and would find it refreshing, right??  FUn random trivia considering Larry Kramer's passing--he directed the original Broadway production of The Normal Heart.  Opening just a month or two before was Broadway's first gay AIDS drama, the now forgotten, but IMHO better written hit, As Is.  He didn't direct that, but the impossible to find, except for 15 minutes on youtube, cable TV version of As Is from 1986 was directed by...  Michael Lindsay-Hogg)

Edited by EricMontreal22