Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

I love them together, but I do wish we could see them once more. (Of course, if I had an ABC soap revival we'd also see the ghost of Gwyneth Alden some Halloween, so...)

Edited by Vee

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The only Curtis I never saw was Burke Moses. Id say my least fave was Michael Lord. I liked Patrick T Johnson better. However the OG, Chris Marcantel was the best. Chip does seem smarmy. That is a great description

Edited by John

• Members

I noticed when Christine returned as Gwyneth in 1991, they were having her dress like Elizabeth Savage. I wonder why they stopped that. After seeing Marrianne Tantum as temp Gwen in 1989 before Savage and again in 90 before Savage left, why didnt they just hire MT to replace Christine in 89

Wait what? I know he also did GL, AMC & AW. I never knew he did soft core. Lots of actors in soaps have

• Members

Does anyone have any websites which have Loving episode summaries? I am collecting episode summaries for the soaps and for Loving I only have some 1994 and 1995 episode summaries... so I would appreciate any help. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Burke Moses left in 1987. He landed the role of Rapunzel's Prince in the Broadway production "Into the Woods" during the summer of 1987. Moses was given a 2 month leave of absence to prepare for the play. Curtis was shipped off to Germany. Moses and the production team couldn't reach an agreement about his return, and he was let go in September 1987. I'm not even sure they brought him back for an exit. In the initial news releases, the show stated they planned on recasting, but they dropped the character of Lotty. Judith Hoag departed in November 1987 with Lotty announcing to Ned she was going to Germany to join Curtis. 

Lotty and Curtis married the week of May 18th, 1987. 

Later on, someone asked about Ned Bates. I don't think he made it into 1988. If anyone has some more definitive proof one way or another, I'd be happy to see it. When Lotty initially departs, Ned does stay on as a border at Kate's, however immediately after Lotty leaves Ned learns April was leaving. Perry is still in the credits for November 16, 1987 while Lotty, Curtis, Marty, and April are all gone. Then, Steve is shot during the November 1987 bank hold up and dies in early December 1987, which lines up with Johnson's December 1984 start date. Ned would only have Kate to interact with. Cece, who was also living in the boarding house, was written out in December 1987. I just cannot see him staying on with no one to even be a talk to for. 

I think the Aldens always owned the mansion. I believe Johnny Forbes, Roger Forbes' father, had made his own money through his construction company, Forbes Construction, which was a pretty prominent business during the Marland years. 

Credits are hard to come by for "Loving." Without seeing scripts, it would probably be hard to know. Then, of course, you have the questionable authorship of 1992, which I don't know if that ever will be cleared up other than asking Addie Walsh directly. 

Albers seems fine, but Curtis is such a different character due to no fault of Albers. The show had changed so much since 1983 when Curtis was a rascal and conniving schemer. Taggert and King clearly are playing him as Trisha's brother so that is why he is always in the orbit of Trucker's sister. It makes for a tight B-story to the Trucker and Trisha story, but I just don't find it all that interesting. It would have been interesting if Jeff Hartman had managed to woo Curtis to his side through promising to help his career at Alden Enterprises through the production division and played Curtis' divided loyalties. The Dan Hollister murder story doesn't interest me because Hollister is such a ill conceived character from the spy story. 

To be fair, I have similar issues with Patrick T. Johnson's Curtis, who Taggart and Guza introduce. His Curtis cannot escape the mold of being Trisha's brother even though the potential of a Curtis / Dinahlee / Clay triangle is intriguing. Even with Trisha gone, Curtis is still tied to one of Trucker's siblings (Buck). 

I do think Albers played a much lighter version of Curtis very well. One of the moments I enjoyed from his run is when Curtis crashes Trisha's bachelorette party in drag with Dave Hindman. This was inspired by a real life incident where Albers, Randy Mantooth, and a couple other male cast members crashed either Lauren Marie Taylor or Noelle Beck's baby shower also donning women's clothing. 

The bulk of the Trucker / Dinahlee / Curtis stuff is pretty even keeled, in my opinion. Curtis is clearly suffering from post traumatic stress due to his experiences with Dante and is refusing to recognize the need for help. It puts Dinahlee in an interesting spot as she does want to protect him. Dinahlee clearly loves Curtis, but she is not in love with him. There is actually a decent scene between Dinahlee, Curtis, Gwyn, and Clay at Pins where they are all trying to support Curtis despite all their twisted relationships with one another. I even can handle most of Curtis tricking Trucker into thinking Trisha is alive because, well, she is alive. I start to lose my favor with a lot of things around August 1994 when Curtis manipulates the airplane that kills Janie Sinclaire and Jessica Collins leaves. 

Clay pops up alive in mid-January 1987 and Steve dies in early December 1987. It was probably 1987 that aired.