May 26-30, 2008

Toups

• Members

Since Monday was a holiday I'm looking at this weeks numbers, whether good or bad, as statistically anomalous, for lack of a better word. I expect total viewers to rise across the board.

Oh God...did I just say "statistically anomalous?" What have you people done to me?!!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

Ratings for holiday's are released, I believe, but they are counted as specials and do not go toward the shows weekly average including those that are original episodes.

*could be wrong*

• Members

Someone explain to me.....a show gets MORE viewers then last week and they still FALL in ratings?

ANd how can GL ONLY be 77,000 less than last year, but are at a NEW low after gaining 48,000 in the last week LOL

• Members

Thank god something finally worked at AMC. I was beginning to think there was nothing they could do that would have any effect. And thank god Cady's return wasn't a total bust ratings-wise because then she would never ever be back...not that I think she will be back anytime soon anyways.

I remember when B&E were fired from GL they initiated an interview a couple of weeks later (rarely do we get exit interviews from headwriters!) and pointed out that their material that aired just after they were fired (I think it was the culmination of Lizzie's leukemia story, which was good stuff) got the numbers up. Wonder if they'll do something similar this time.

• Members

kwing, its how many viewers are watching in a particular time frame. For example, GL might air against GH and Rachael Ray. If you have a total of 100 viewers and 50 watch Rachael Ray, 35 watch GH and 15 watch GL, that's where the percentage or rating comes from. GL did increase in total viewers, but didn't have a very large "share" of the total audience at that given time.

Personally, GL (and ATWT, to an extent) deserve these ratings. There wasn't anything "sweeps" worthy on either show this past May (or for the past four years on GL). Its time that GL's ratings plummeted in order for CBS and PGP to wake up and make the necessary improvements.

• Members

Kwing,

Viewers is all reliant on the number of households tuned in and how many people are in that household each week.

A show can gone down in HH's viewing in, but still go up in viewers. For instance say the majority households tuned in this week are households with only 2 people living in them - they only get counted 2 viewers for that household.

Next week they are big in bigger households - for instance they get more colleges to tune in. Say that college dorm has 100 people living in it. They get counted for 100 viewers for that household instead of just the 2.

This all comes from when I was a Nielsen household and the way the Nielsen rep explained it to me.

For instance we had 6 members in our household then. This is what they wrote down for us. We had 3 TVs at the time.

If we had 1 tv on, we got entered for 6 viewers for that household tuned in.

If 2 of our TV's were on and tuned to separate programs, they counted 3 for each show.

If all 3 were on and tuned to different shows, then they counted 2 viewers for each show.

When in reality it might have been 4 of us tuned in to one TV and only 1 in each of the others. Or in most cases one of the TV's was just left on and no one was watching it.

The # of viewers tuned in is very subjective and thus why the advertisers still look at HH's more than viewers.

Nielsen does an extensive interview with you in the beginning, making maps of the locations of TVs in your home, who most often watches that TV etc. They use all that to determine even what ages to alot the viewers in those rooms too for demos.

But there is still no for sure way to determine who is actually tuned in. They have the computer translater that tells them every time a TV is turned on, turned off, and even how often you switch channels. but there is nothing that tells them for sure who is tuned in or how many. Occassionally they have the viewers do diaries, but that is about 4 times a year. They use those diaries to help them make their guesses.

Archived