May 26-30, 2008

Toups

• Members

As things stand all the soaps are trending downwards even though they have an occasional bounce back week. The CBS soaps are so dependent on Y&R as a lead in that they suffer when it struggles. I'll be interested in the demos which may indicate if the ratings fluctuations are serious.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True but Y&R went up this week and the P&G soaps went down. It goes back to lousy writing. For GL it is that and lousy production(visual). ATWT was riding on Nuke's popularity which has gone. ATWT was content with other shows dropping and them staying as is....now the other soaps are stepping up their game and ATWT has dropped. But really all the ratings suck...only B&B and Y&R have decent ratings. GH with a 2.2 is laughable. It can easily be overtaken as the #3 soap by next week.

• Members

But is AMC's rise really all that impressive? I think ATWT dropping helped somewhat. I don't think this all that much to write home about, especially since it happened AFTER sweeps ended

(which was pretty dumb to have this kind stuff AFTER sweeps :rolleyes: )

• Members

I just don't think these weekly fluctuations are as meaningful as you think. Your point with ATWT makes the point: It is up some weeks, down some weeks. This is what is sometimes know as "steady state fluctuation about a moving average".

The weekly fluctuations truly, honestly, deeply, trust me aren't worth worrying about.

Where you get RELIABLE trend data, for example, is if you break the year into quarters....and you compare each quarter to previous quarters. There is a reason that financial analysts look at company balance sheets that way...they know there are random fluctuations, and they are not interpretable.

Take a look at this wiki on random walk. It gets a bit technical, but the core point is this: The TRAJECTORY makes sense, but the bobs up and down on that trajectory are just kind of random and meaningless.

They use a great analogy of a drunkard walking a city street. The drunkard IS getting from point A to point B, but the path is going to weave and bob. If we want to figure out where the drunkard is going, we can't watch that weaving and bobbing...we have to take a longer-view...follow the drunkard for a while to see where he/she is headed.

So, what we have to do with ATWT...with all the soaps...is watch their quarterly averages. Even that COULD be infused with random fluctuation...(even the annual data Sylph and I keep posting shows annual random fluctuation around moving averages)...but it tells a truer story.

One of my fears is that Madison Avenue and the networks watch these weekly variations and try to interpret them...much as we all do. Really, truly, I hope they do not...because they are MEANINGLESS.

In recent weeks, the ONLY trend that I think bears watching is Y&R. Why? because it fell pretty precipitiously from 4.0...and now...in over a month...it has not rebounded. THAT feels like a reliable trajectory to me. But notice that within that REAL plummet, there is a random walk. (Down to 3.4 one week, up to 3.6 the next). That .2 fluctuation is meaningless. What is meaningful is that the show seems to have "permanently" dipped below 4, and it ain't headed back up. (I say that because really there is little evidence in the history of soaps of trajectory reversals...with a very few exceptions...like GH in the early 80s).

Sorry for the lecture, but I can't help myself.....

• Members

Well, ATWT would have been a 2.0 this week. So who really knows. I think AMC deserves the bump. It was good last week. So much of Opal....who knew she was still in town. :lol: Tad's parents were on and together...huh?? :lol: It featured some vets never seen before. If soaps would just use their vets in good storylines the ratings would be so much better. Can you imagine if Ruth or Opal had their own story?? If the story was good people would tune in. I just dont get why the vets are given their own storyline.

I still dont like Jesse back from the dead storyline though. But what does AMC have next for its viewers?? I dont see anything coming up ...which will lead to AMC dropping in ratings again...JMO..of course. ;)

• Members

B&B had stayed steady while all the other CBS soaps dropped. I hope they take this time to improve. I believe what they are missing is something opposite of the Foresters & Logans. They need somebody or a family that isn't related to Ridge. & that can cause hell.

• Members

Kenlee, Kenlee and more Kenlee ::gags:: that's basically what next week consists of :rolleyes:

Yeah don't see 2.1 sticking around

Toupsy when will the day to day ratings be posted? I'm curious what the rating was for Friday, that was a damn good episode

• Members

Agreed that AMC got the bump for the J/A climax and maybe for ghost-Dixie and that its ratings will probably fall again next week to the 1.9/2.0 level. Zendull, Ryan and Greenlee have proven NOT to be ratings draws. They're still Frons's pets for some inexplicable reason, and that group seems to be going front burner next. That will do the ratings no favors.

• Members

:lol: Not on the AMC I've watched for the past 4 years, Zendall are far from being anyone pet's, Ryan & Greenlee? Yep I'll give you that one.

Oh and Zendall have proven to be ratings draws, I remember Angela posting stuff before to back this up

• Members

When it goes back to the sextette from hell all the time, I know I will be gone. That is the reason I completely lost interest in that the last year. I had quit being a devoted fan sometime back but they made me a disinterested, totally turned off fan. Ryan, Greenlee, Kendall, Zach, Annie, and Aiden are sickening. I just can't stand any of the six anymore. They have all 6 been shoved down our throats so much and making it worse is the story they are involved in just sucks.

• Members

No it for the first time in years is old fashioned soap making at it's best.

It is the way soaps used to do things alot. I talked about this in another thread.

For 18 months back in late 1978 to 1980, AW built the story of Mac, Rachel, Janice and Mitch. They finally chose to climax the story in early 1980. They used February sweeps to build the story to the exciting climax that took place with a big remote shoot to the island of St. Croix flying 4 of the stars down there and culminated with Rachel rescuing Mac and killing Janice in the pool at the hotel in St. Croix.

Not everything in soaps has happened during the sweeps month. Sweeps was very exciting that year but it built into March. It is the way most soaps used to do it.

• Members

As a kid I use to live on the vets. I did love Holden and Lily but they were written great by the late Douglas Marland. I didnt care for the newbies or teen scene. I wanted my vets even back then. Now as an over 34 viewer I still want my vets. :lol: Seeing Lisa today made my mouth water. She is being wasted when she could have her own storyline. She could go searching for her son Scott. I know she gave him the boot. But it would be refereshing to see her in a storyline again of her own.

Archived