May 26-30, 2008

Toups

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As for OLTL, I don't see the greatness, but I acknowledge that a lot of people do. But realistically, looking at last week's numbers, viewers deserted the show after that Monday high (for the wedding) of last week, and the numbers fell to their usual HHs. My guess is that it will tie with AMC or lead it by .1. JMO. I do agree that GH is a boring mess and deserves to keep falling. Dialogue/scene writing-wise, it's much better written than AMC or OLTL...a little more thinking goes into the dialogue and scene structure. The acting is generally much better too. But the stories and characters are so f***ing boring, so the superior dialogue, day-to-day writing, and good acting really don't matter. Frons must be so blind to the many, many problems of his can-do-no-wrong pet, because nothing is being done to fix the show's problems.

• Members

I have to respectfully disagree with you in regards to what I bolded. GH's day to day writing IMO is a hot mess. One day may be great, while the next 4 will be subpar. The show is choppy many times (due to them cutting stuff out of scenes).

• Members

Yes, they have some problems, but in general I find their scene set-ups and dialogue to be less "in your face"/over the top/less soapy and more intelligent than AMC's and OLTL's. Despite its problems, the show tries to make you think and there's a good deal of subtext. In general, I don't get that as much from AMC and OLTL. Sure, for entertainment value, AMC and OLTL beat GH by a mile, but there's a depth to GH that I don't find with AMC and OLTL. Now if they could just get their act together and diversify the canvass and use veteran actors effectively, they'd have the potential to be the best show on daytime. Again JMO.

• Members

See, I find the complete opposite and I think the continuity issues, the dropped storylines, and the scrapping of the direction of a story in the middle of it adds to my discontent with the script and dialogue writing. Not that I don't have sympathy for the poor, toiling dialogue writers over there. It can't be the easiest job in the world to write great dialogue for characters with no direction, stories with no direction or a show in general with no direction.

I find GH dialogue repetitive and somewhat forced. Because plots do not have depth it's hard for the dialogue to have depth because the character will turn around and contradict himself and it may not even take a whole day to do so, they could do it in the next scene. There are moments of brilliance mixed in with a millenia of monotony. What saves GH is the actors. They find ways to add dimensions to what they have been given. Rick Hearst is the mac daddy of getting silk from a sow's ear but from what I can see most of them do what they can to breathe life into a show that is just going through the motions behind the scenes, IMHO.

Archived