May 19-23, 2008

Toups

• Members

OMG....OLTL is 3rd in households!

It's about damn time the ratings started to reflect the writing of the show. I hope OLTL can still continue the rise in the ratings. I do want to voice some concern over seeing that major drop in day-to-day ratings from Monday to Tuesday. Perhaps it'll be a trend.

OLTL gained viewers for a reason....the TPTB KNEW IT WAS SWEEPS MONTH; and pulled out all the stops to entertain us viewers while not insulting our intelligence (ahem GH).

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The most recent article I could find on TPIR's ratings with Drew Carey was from a March Entertainment Weekly:

Drew Carey's 'Price Is Right' ratings are soft, but should grow

Mar 5, 2008, 06:07 PM | by Lynette Rice

There has been no shortage of contestants willing to line up for hours outside of CBS Television City in Los Angeles to appear on The Price is Right with Drew Carey — but there are definitely fewer viewers tuning into the CBS game show now that Bob Barker is gone. According to comparisons of the first quarters of 2007 and 2008, Carey has attracted an audience that's 15 percent smaller in the first half-hour of the show (4.5 million viewers vs. 5.4 mil) and 13 percent smaller in the second half-hour (5.6 mil vs. 6.5 mil).

But there is hope. To help boost awareness of the Carey-hosted Price, the net aired two primetime specials last month to favorable results. The first special on Feb. 22 won its time slot in viewers (9.35 mil) and key demos. The second, on Feb. 29, got an even bigger audience (9.49 mil) — and gave away $1 million in cash, a first for the long-running game show. Four more Price specials are already in the can, the third of which airs March 7.

Media buyers say the dip in viewers shouldn't be cause for concern. "I think any time you make a transition, especially from somebody as established as Bob, you'd be worried if he were off 50 percent," says Bill Carroll of the Katz TV Group. "But if he's not off by more than 15 percent, it's a positive sign. Over time, you have to assume he'll build back the audience. CBS is probably pleased."

• Members

Yes they were both doing fine. I saw an article in Essence where they mentioned that they were shocked at how homogeneous (my word not theirs) the daytime canvas had become and how it had gone completely backwards from the time they were on. I think that had a lot to do with the decision to return. I think they're trying to serve a "greater good."

Completely JMHO.

• Members

That make sense. I thought that Darnell had emerged as a behind the camera force too. I believe they are the best thing on daytime right now. They really take weak, predictable material to the next level.

• Members

He is. A lot of diehard soap fans will find this surprising but just because someone leaves a soap that doesn't mean their career is over. I know you understand that as do most of the posters here I'm just surprised by some of the comments I've read on other boards.

DW has worked quite steadily as a director and he seems to enjoy doing some occasional theatre work. Plus - and I only learned this recently - he's been a MUCH sought after acting coach for years. Not surprising.

Neither Debbie nor Darnell needed to come back. They chose to. And I couldn't be more grateful.

• Administrator

I believe Carolyn Culliton was Paul Rauch's secretary at one time.......and Carolyn would make an awesome HW or Co-HW as she showcased at ATWT and GL in the early 2000's. So Natalie being an ex-secretary isn't a knock on her. She moved up, she earned it. There's nothing wrong with giving someone who's been with the show for a very long time a shot at HW. She's lived and breathed Y&R for the past 15 years. Let her write a long story, a bible, and see what she can do. And if she's good, promote her to Co-HW.

• Members

Oh, Carolyn Culliton (a Northwestern alumna like Maria Arena) and Natalie Minardi Slater cannot be compared at all... I don't know how you could write this post. :mellow: I absolutely love Carolyn! Also, the level of their experience is totally different...

And again, I'm quite puzzled: people tell you (not you specifically, Toups) that Janice Ferri and Natalie Minardi are definitely not HW material and you keep pushing that agenda. That is so totally wrong.

Go ahead, promote her, as if I care, then when she makes of Y&R a storm-tossed ship, don't complain. ;)

Would it matter if I did? Honestly?

• Members

Because you go one and on about how she's not HW material, but you haven't explained why. Most of us think she's be better than Maria because of her long-term experience at Y&R, what's your argument over why Maria should stay and Natalie shouldn't be promoted? I'd like to know...

And about no true storytellers left in daytime, that might be the case, but from what I've seen of Maria (which is the point of this debate), she certainly should've stuck to fashion as rain1 said. :lol:

• Members

My question didn't begin with a why, it began with would. Would it matter if I explained? Probably not. So I have no incentives to explain. As I said, go ahead, promote Natalie and all will live happily ever after.

Well, you praised her when she first came on, didn't you? One of her biggest fans. That might've lasted for two weeks, but it lasted. ;)

I am ending this here. :D

• Members

I just said I would personally like to know....

And I still gave her credit for wrapping up Latham's mess. After the strike, she got considerably worse at her job, no one can deny that.

Ending this here because you don't have an argument to back up why she should stay? ;)

• Administrator

Well, they were both secretaries, that's why I brought it up. You say ex-secretary shouldn't be HW a soap, I say why not. Of course their level of experience is different. Carolyn's got at least 10 more years of experience than Natalie.

How do *I* know they're not HW material. I don't know them. Just because some people say they're not HW material, that's going to change my agenda? LOL Of course not. I see nothing wrong with giving two young gals, who worked their way up on the show, has 15+ years of experience at Y&R, given a chance to write for the show. It's the Bill Bell way - promote from within.

Well, we won't know that until they get the job.

• Members

We shall never know...

I cannot do this anymore! My words keep getting turned around into something I didn't say! :lol: A farce (my favourite word)!

Yet, Bill never promoted Natalie. Funny...

Some will, some won't.

Archived