Sara A. Bibel's Blog

• Members

Well, I'd like to know the answer to this:

Sara, thanks for this great blog! It's nice hearing from the inside which is so rare. I must say I'm very disappointed Maria Arena Bell didn't bring you and other former Y&R writers back post-strike. I imagine it's probably due to contracts that she kept nearly all of Lynn Marie Latham's bloated writing staff. You can tell it's holding her stories back since they continue to write in the plot driven manner LML taught them. It's improved due to a stronger leader, but still needs the people who know and love the show to truly be great again.

My question is, how did you end up leaving Y&R? How was it for all-but-four of the pre-LML writers being let go? You guys just won an Emmy for GREAT work and knew that show well. LML has been gone since Christmas Eve and the show still hasn't fuller recovered. Biggest.Mistake.Ever. Even worse, one of the people she replaced you guys with was her 21 year old son. It just seemed odd and she had no plan at all. "How many friends can I hire and how fast?" seemed to be the only thing in her mind. Stories, plot points and what little character development we had was often dropped as more writers were added or she got bored. A great example was the dreadful Phillip Chancellor story which didn't include Nina or his son and barely included Jill and Katherine, instead focusing on newbies Amber and Cane.

Daytime should look at Ron Carlivati at OLTL and realize it's time to take risks. What can you lose at this point? If viewers are invested in the characters they're more likely to stick around long term as opposed to the short term stunts which don't even work anymore.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ May 17 2008, 01:25 AM)
I'm so happy she answered my question! I really didn't expect that. I enjoy hearing from her, especially since she comes from such a successful writing team. Looking forward to what she posts in the future.

Picking up a thread from here, you should ask her how to fix Y&R. I'd love to see what she says....

• Members

Thank you! ;)

Well, she's certainly not going to trash OLTL and say Ron's a hack.

Never going to happen...

QUOTE (Chris B @ May 17 2008, 08:25 AM)
I'm so happy she answered my question! I really didn't expect that. I enjoy hearing from her, especially since she comes from such a successful writing team. Looking forward to what she posts in the future.

Oh, I'm so happy, too. It was so obvious it was you who asked that. :P BTW, she is The Elite.

Not only did she secure herself a spot on a top-notch daytime serial, she is also a Harvard alumna. More elite than that, you cannot be. :DB)

As much as I'd love for her to return to where she belongs, I think she should try to get a primetime gig. Some good, critically praised series or maybe ABC's Brothers & Sisters or CW's Gossip Girl, a show I used to hate until Felicia D. Henderson came in :D (honestly, I'd love her to replace that godawful J. J. Philbin over at Heroes, but I don't think she's a fan of the supernatural, even though Heroes is a soap par excellence). It is time to leave daytime behind, if she perseveres in improving her craft and just doing what she has been doing so far, there is a incandescent future ahead of her.

Can't wait for the next blog entry! :D

• Members

"But I will say that, in general, head writers who aren't familiar with a show tend to favor plot driven storytelling. In my experience, this rarely makes for satisfying viewing."

AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!! They find a few characters they like and BOOM!

• Members

Jay : Sara, how would you go about getting another soap job? Do you apply, Does a head writer approach you? An Executive Producer? I would love to see you working on OLTL. Would you Coast switch or would you stay in CA? Like most television writers, I have an agent who tries to get me work. I would be surprised and delighted if a head writer came to me. I'd certainly jump at the chance to work on OLTL. Heck, I'd jump at the chance to work on Meerkat Manor. If any Estonian soaps are hiring, I'll move there! It‚s a tough time for daytime writers right now. Since the soaps discovered they could put out a show with a smaller number of writers during the WGA strike, writing staffs are getting smaller. The cancellation of Passions made the market even tighter.:):lol:

Archived