Sara A. Bibel's Blog

• Members

The part where she says Sheffer can be good at sophisticated camp gives me some hope. Y&R's always been the most intellectual soap opera on the air, but it's also had a very highbrow sense of camp attached to it. No other soap did "sophisticated camp" like Y&R did, when the other soaps went off into the world of camp they were crude and overtly over the top, see the NBC soaps over the past 15 years...

If Sheffer can learn Y&R's history, and the traits of its characters, his time there might not be so bad. It would also help greatly if Maria and Hogan brought back some old Y&R writers. As Adam said in the other thread, Sara should be one of the first people coming back to Y&R...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would be great if he refrained from bringing on his "team" - although people like Frederick Johnson and Josh McCaffrey would be welcome because they've worked on Y&R before. I think Judy Tate would also be great because Y&R has strong black characters she can sink her teeth into (and she has expressed interest in writing for them) - she would just need to get up to speed.

But keep the Judith Donatos and the like away from my Y&R. Hopefully, Sheffer will have the good sense to know that this show, the most stylized of all daytime soaps, needs specific people who are attuned to its rhythms.

• Administrator

Love the SON props. :D Thank you, Sara! LOL

She's so right. EJ/Sami/Lucas could've been an amazing triangle but instead that rape on December 29th ruined it - and yeah, it was Hogan's biggest mistake.

• Members

I watched ATWT under Hogan. Where was his sophisticated camp? I think that is it easier for soap writers to talk than actually successful tell stories. I've listened to Kay Alden and she sounds amazing, then I remembered how crappy Y&R was during her tenure.

• Members

Oh, I love it that you wrote this post!  :lol: I remember people screaming for her to get fired! The only difference is that I didn't think she sounded amazing. I was quite puzzled by many of her comments and I wrote about it in The Directors and Writers Thread. 

• Members

Yeah, that was a ridiculous LML rule. No scenes that cut out in the middle and then got picked up in the next act. Ever. Not even over commercial breaks (although that was bent every once in a while). It's why so many soap writers struggled there with the structure, but LML's prime-time hires had an easier time of it (not in terms of the fans. Just in terms of working for LML)

• Members

Oh I love her columns! She has a great writing style and the subjects are interesting and always make me anticipate reading. I hope she continues this for a long time. Glad she addressed the ridiculously short scenes under the LML era. The most exciting moments happened during commercial breaks or between episodes all together. I can understand the scenes being shorter, but damn, they really never picked the stuff back up. We really need an interview with LML to see how her mind works. McTavish and other hacks while we're at it. I want to know how they thought such awful ideas were good.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ May 27 2008, 09:59 PM)
Oh I love her columns! She has a great writing style and the subjects are interesting and always make me anticipate reading. I hope she continues this for a long time. Glad she addressed the ridiculously short scenes under the LML era. The most exciting moments happened during commercial breaks or between episodes all together. I can understand the scenes being shorter, but damn, they really never picked the stuff back up. We really need an interview with LML to see how her mind works. McTavish and other hacks while we're at it. I want to know how they thought such awful ideas were good.

I would like an answer to that one, too! :lol: Let someone fast interview McTrash and Lynn Marie Antoinette!

And I like her writing style, too. Very fluid.

• Members

And while we're at it, why hasn't Maria Arena Bell been interviewed? Is she afraid or something? :mellow:

And can someone remind me if Sara was only writing breakdowns while a part of AMC's writing staff?

Archived