Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is what I've heard on the Soapnet board - Roscoe Born and Daniel Pilon were brought back so they could kill Joe off for good (Joe killed Max and Max planted a bomb that a very short time later killed Joe as he potected Siobhan from the explosion)- and free Siobhan up for new love interests. However, the show was cancelled a few weeks before it aired - and the storyline leading up to Joe's death was already in motion on screen.

I don't know anything about Betty and Jack except that she was written off a few months later. They then paried Jack up with Leslie Easterbrooke's character for a time.

Edited by safe

• Members

Yes, they both would have been working together again on Search For Tomorrow.

This says Michael Corbett began on SFT around July of 1982.

Soap Opera Scene/July 16, 1982

In the same news archives Soap Opera Scene Channel Chatter that told of Pat Falken-Smith decision to end Karen Morris-Gowdy's role on RH also had a item that Ellen Barrett had just taken over on SFT.

Soap Opera Scene/December 24, 1983

Edited by safe

• Members

The soapnet reruns are getting close to when Catherine Hicks takes over as Faith. Just wondering if CH had a lack of warmth as Faith, too.

I noticed FC played Faith like a shy, awkward girl.. that NB played Faith as more grown-up but still a little unsure... and that KMB was a bitch. So how did CH play the part?

• Members

Catherine played Faith as more of the all-American type, a sorority sister, upbeat, but also decisive and strong. Basically, nothing like Faith.

safe posted the text of this some months ago. I'm posting this mostly for the photos. Daily TV Serials, February 1977.

DailyTVSerials277001.jpg

DailyTVSerials277002.jpg

DailyTVSerials277003.jpg

• Members

Awww, I wouldn't say that. I think she played the concept of Faith as she was originally written, but after she had crashed and burnt and then healed and come out of it a stronger person. I guess it was a very '70s idea that a few months of therapy could really repair a person who was that damaged so completely, but it was "hopeful" (no pun intended) and I think where the character came from was always incorporated into her stories. Plus, maybe in part because she reminded me physically of Sandy Dennis, I always thought a little bit of the repressed crazy was still there, somewhat beneath the surface. Also, Faith stayed remarkably down-to-earth and mousy considering they cast an actress who would go on to play Marilyn. I could totally buy that Pat should have gone for Faith and he'd have been very happy, but he got bored - whereas Delia walking around the Ryan household in various states of undress throwing herself at him made him completely horny and her pretending that she couldn't cope without him gratified his male ego. (I'm not saying this was pretty, but it was believable.) CH's Faith was just about the only one of Delia's rivals whom I genuinely felt sorry for (Jill and Mary could be so self-righteous and hypocritical). But not too sorry, because I knew that Faith was together enough that she didn't need Pat or any man, and as heartbroken as she was, she knew that she didn't, as well.

Incidentally, I've just started watching this (presumably last) go-round of Ryan's Hope on SoapNet, and I'm really glad that I'm getting to see CH's run as Faith one last time. While I had every intention of tuning back into OLTL and maybe even AMC until the end, and I do feel very sad that those shows are going off the air, the idea that these 35 year-old episodes of RH that I've already seen at least once will never air again on TV after this year actually has had at least more of an immediate impact on me. Incidentally, I can't quite believe that it's been over 10 years since I saw these episodes the first time SN rebroadcast them, but I'm enthralled all over again.

Incidentally, thanks for posting these articles. All very interesting - even Michael Hawkins, who was pretty sexy when he wasn't fumbling over his lines.