Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Members

As regards Frank Latimore's quick move to GL, I don't know if Soap Central's dates are correct,but it's quite possible as there have been many instances, particularly on NY soaps, of actors moving quickly to another show.

Perhaps as soon as he was informed Ed was going to be killed off, Latimore put out the word he was available, or began auditioning.

I'm sure there was alot of networking in those days and maybe he had an in with someone at CBS or P&G and landed the job.

Interesting to read that Sondergaard played the role for only 8 eps.This sort of info isn't available otherwise as she is listed in cast lists as having appeared in 76,which gives no indication of how long the actual stint was.

Another fabulous actress from the 40's,Anne Revere is also listed as playing Marguerite that year. Does anyone know how many eps she was in?

And little Christian in the Hawkins photo,of course grew up to be Christian Slater and also appeared in RH as DJ LaSalle.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think Anne was only in a handful of episodes. Sister Mary Joel was a very short term character before vanishing for ten or more years. Another actress, I can never remember her name (not Sylvia Sidney), just finished up a temp run as Mary Joel.

Soapnet running these for so long is a great way to figure out dates or at least number of appearances. I wasn't even sure if Gale had been in eight, as it went by so fast. I wish more soaps had hired such brilliant actresses in short-term roles the way RH did early on.

• Members

I know I read somewhere years ago that Ed Coleridge was killed off because the decision had been made not to kill off Frank. So, perhaps, it was a budget issue?

As for Nell, she was killed off, b/c Diana van der Vlis (sp?) suffered from asthma and her health was making it difficult to continue on in the role (although, Claire Labine would bring her back years later, toward the end of RH, as Sherry Rowan).

• Members

That's interesting. I never knew that. If they were going to kill off a character for that reason then I would have killed off Johnny. Nothing against Bernard Barrow but I think Johnny was more disposable - he was only there to bluster. Ed had a lot of stories left with the Coleridges. There were so many fascinating moments with the family, especially his creepy relationship with Faith.

I thought they planned to kill off Nell all along. They didn't? Wow. What might have been. I loved Nell. I never have watched the bits of her as Sherry that are on Youtube, as I didn't want to spoil my memories of Nell, but I will soon.

• 2 weeks later...