March 31 - April 4, 2008

Toups

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tim and Kev, I respect what you have to say, but as of yet I have not seen anything that indicates to me the TPTB are trying to give any of us what we truly want.

The vets not being on last year with Days was not the only problem we complained about but it is the only thing they heard. Yes they put them back on but they continue to insult us with stories that have no logical explanation at all or are rewrites of history.

People get tired of their intelligence being insulted and having to stretch our imaginations to enjoy our soaps. If I want to watch something that I have to stretch my imagination to believe what is on I will watch Star Trek or something that is supposed to be like that.

For years the soap producers and writers have taken us as fans for granted and we are now saying we are tired of it. You can't just put people on the screen anymore and the average viewer say I am happy they are there and I don't care what the story is about. That is just like people are doing with this EJ story that is totally plot driven and a rewrite and suddenly something dreamed up to put them on the screen. And the EJami fans are eating it up. Which means that viewers that want more won't get it because the fan base is happy.

TPTB know there are fans out there that are afraid of losing their shows and will watch no matter what [!@#$%^&*] ooze out of their butt this week and they don't try any better or set their standards above that anymore. Well some of us are tired of it.

There was a time when I was so afraid that soaps were dying that it disheartened me so bad that I couldn't stand it. Now I am to the point that at least 5 of the 9 shows I see would be better off cancelled. Right now they have a little dignity left, but every day they lose a little more of it.

WE take in real life and put a dying animal to sleep to keep it from suffering. If a human being is suffering we put them in hospice where care is given to ease the suffering.

Some of these shows are suffering....they are limping to a slow very painful death......a death I for one am tired of watching. I don't want to watch the suffering any longer.

I throw myself lately into my two online soaps (one based on AMC and one an original) and read other online fan fics. They are 50 times bette than what I get on a daily basis on TV.

For the first time in 38 years of soap watching I am watching one soap (OLTL) on a daily basis and 2 on a casual basis (Y&R & GH) and I am not even sure how much longer that will last.

Another thing I meant to say. Just like the AMC story. Sure they brought back great characters again - fan faves - and made a big deal about it. Then they throw them into terrible stories

The sextette from hell on AMC is soooooooooooo bad. They brought Rebecca Budig back for this.

And Angie & Jesse's story was good but the few times I have tuned in of late or read online - they are now rushing tway too much.

And Sarah Brown's return to GH has been awful. I just cut my TV off when she is on and just enjoy looking at her.

They have got to work on writing.

• Members

So this is what we know so far from Lskreet & the ABC Press Release...

Households

1. The Young and the Restless 3.8 (same/-.3) <-----ties low rating

2. The Bold and the Beautiful 2.7 (-.1/-.2)

3. As the World Turns 2.1 (-.1/-.2)

3. Days of our Lives 2.1 (same/same)

3. General Hospital 2.1 (same/-.4) <-----ties low rating

6. All My Children 1.9 (same/-.3) <-----ties low rating

6. One Life to Live 1.9 (same/-.4) <-----ties low rating

8. Guiding Light 1.7 (-.1/-.4) <-----new low rating

Women 18-49 Rating

1. The Young & the Restless 1.7 (-.2/-.1) <----- ties low rating

2. Days of our Lives 1.5 (+.2/+.2)

2. General Hospital ABC 1.5 (-.1/-.3)

4. The Bold and the Beautiful 1.3 (-.2/+.1)

5. All My Children 1.2 (same/-.2)

5. One Life to Live 1.2 (same/-.3) <----- ties low rating

Women 18-49 Viewers

1. The Young & the Restless 1,120,000 (-137,000/-65,000)

2. General Hospital 1,010,000 (-16,000/-150,000)

3. Days of our Lives 959,000 (+109,000/+86,000)

4. The Bold and the Beautiful 834,000 (-135,000/+34,000)

5. One Life to Live 816,000 (-8,000/-178,000)

6. All My Children 763,000 (-39,000/-185,000)

• Members

Fans wouldn't be bitching if they didn't give a damn about their favorite soap. I don't think any of us truly want our soaps to be canceled. We want change and change for the better and it seems that way for a lot of fans who are still bitching and complaining on message boards.

It's the network and TPTB who need to wake up and see what their employees are doing to the genre.

• Members

I have to admit, Y&R has been in a holding pattern for the last few weeks, I suspect this is the transition from Griffith to Arena Bell. I am confident the show will rebound, it's just going to take some time. B&B has been good, I enjoy the darker tone Kay Alden has set, that is what I think is lacking from Y&R currently, the show isn't dark enough...nothing seems to be taken that seriously. Take a look at mid '90s Y&R, it was melodrama left and right and we all lapped it up!

Pity about GL hitting a new low, we will have to see where it goes from there. ATWT is holding steady.

DAYS is holding steady which is nice to see, that is a show that has been balanced and pretty good.

ABCDaytime is a mess. I say that as someone who LOVED AMC and GH...but since the Frons era I have reached the point where I simply cannot stomach the shows. Such a pity.

Finally, B&B and Y&R have been airing overseas forever. Y&R aired in Hong Kong as far back as the late 1970s (my cousins were addicted to it!). B&B makes buckets of money overseas. I suspect the new position in marketing at CBS is going to focus on overseas sales as well as national marketing.

• Members

Yep! J&A's started out great(typical B&E, give us one or two good weeks then crap)

Yep it's beyond bad! They didn't bring her back for this, it's because of HER return that we WERE getting this. Her husband Bob Guiney even said that they were doing this cause they were testing her to see who they could pair her with.

Oh it was totally rushed! Angie returns, Jesse a little over a week later, then less than a month after they return, they're together and having sex.

Seriously that was a WTF for me. There was NO anger on Angie's part, which I found to be unbelievable. She should have had some anger at Jesse in some aspect

• Members

I'm not defending B&E but I think part of the reason for "rushing" J&A was because of all the anger around Dixie's constant idiotic lurking. I actually didn't find it THAT rushed (speedy yes) but in all honestly I wrote off AMC years ago and ONLY tuned in again to see J&A. If they had dragged out the reunion, I wouldn't have stuck around. I would've thought it was a bait and switch to make me sit through Kendall and Greenlee.

I agree that Angie should've shown some anger. But I guess I didn't find it unbelievable. Who among would grab at a chance to spend a few more moments with someone we thought we'd lost. But I'm hoping (and good writers could do this) that we'll begin to see some anger from Angie in the future. It would make sense.

• Members

That is a change from the usual comment issued on soap boards. Usually it is, "if you don't like NAME OF SOAP HERE don't watch it." That advice, of course, has obviously been taken to heart.

The truth is since I'm not watching many of the soaps now -- DOOL and Y&R being the sole exceptions -- I don't care if they stay on or not. It's not like the shows I once watched care if I enjoy those shows or not.

• Members

I know Jess. I don't how many times I have been told by other fans that if I don't like the show then quit watching. I finally did as well as many others.

And as Jen says if we didn't care about the shows we wouldn't even care to complain and bitch about them.

Fans that bitch and complain about the show are still caring fans. Fans that just go away and don't say anything have truly given completely up. There is no chance of getting them back.

Some of the shows I have quit watching in the last few months I don't even care enough to keep up with the news about them. I don't even visit threads with their name in the title on boards anymore. There is no chance of me going back to them at this point because I just don't care about them at all.

Slowly even the ones that I still care enough about to bitch are starting to lose some of taht too. or me when I quit bitching I am gone for good.

• Members

I understand people bitching about their favorite shows and have no problems with that..It just seems like no matter what the soaps do, the majority of fans aren't happy...And the only soap that seems to be pleasing most online fans is OLTL and they are doing horribly in the ratings...I'm a huge Days fan and have been addicted to the show for 20 years, and i don't want to lose it..Its tough being a soap fan now..

• Members

I understand how you feel Kev. And I agree with you, no matter what the soaps do, they will truly never please the majority of their fans. It is obvious that fans suggesting low ratings will bring about change isn't working. If someone who TRULY cared about the soaps were in charge, there would have been changes on many shows.

Ratings are such a fickle thing. Big ratings don't always mean quality, as we all know all soaps have gone through times where their ratings were good but the quality wasn't so much. I've said it before and I'll say it again, ratings are unfair. Why is it that a chosen group gets to basically decide whether or not my favorite show (primetime or daytime) gets canceled. That pisses me off.

• Members

Here we go again.

We should watch utter [&#33;@#&#036;%^&amp;*] to keep the shows on the air.

The "Bad ratings will get through to them" argument.

How about the "Watch no matter what bullshit is on the screen and be happy about it" argument?

Because that's why many people are not watching.

And being positive is one thing.......but telling people to waste their time watching a show that pisses them off borders on arrogant.

If I hate Days, or any other show, that's my business. And if others hate their show for their reasons, that's their busniess.

You who love the shows........right on to ya.

Someofus don't like them. Live with it.

Archived