March 31 - April 4, 2008

Toups

• Members

The last time I checked, this poster has as much right to bash or praise ABCD as you do to praise or bash it.

Just because someone doesn't agree with your views does not mean you have to start off in this thread being dismissive.

Let's remember to be repsectful...........if you want others to respect your opinion.......respect theirs as well.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's right, it's not revolutionary. The Bell soaps have been broadcast worldwide for many years. As of last month (according to B&B's official website), B&B was seen in nearly 40 countries. I know from my own experience, it's hugely popular in Italy, Germany & Austria (German TV feed) altho the shows are quite far behind the current ones. It was like watching classic soap episodes. Macy was still alive but in the US, she'd been on AMC for quite awhile. :) I heard from EU-travelling Aussies it's extremely popular there too. Their fashion show usually goes to Italy where they get mobbed by fans. Frankly, it was a lifesaver for me, given the limited TV choices in the EU.

• Members

Yes. I know for a fact that Days is broadcast in Australia, France, Sweden, South Africa and other places. Australia is a few months behind. At one point they had become 4 years behind due to pre-emptions, but caught up in 2004 by skipping ahead 4 years iirc. They're now 4 or 6 months behind again due to pre-emptions (they don't do special airings when they pre-empt, they just pick up where they left off, so every few years they'll have to catch up). In Sweden it's currently airing 4 years behind. They're in the middle of the SSK right now. France is 8 years behind because they air only a half hour of it per day. South Africa is 3 to 4 years behind.

• Members

I know. I rolled my eyes at it when I read it. I remember reading in SOD back in the 80's about all the places where soaps were airing. B&B's always been a big hit in Italy and I seem to recall that Capitol was a big hit in a non-North American country back then too. When Days had their 40th anniversary a couple of years ago they had a feature on their website (or Sony's, I can't recall which) thanking their many international fans. TV stations in a couple of the foreign countries even had contests to send viewers over for set tours lol.

• Members

I remember also catching GL in Italy two years ago. But it was called something Amore? Anyway, it looked like the Ellen Weston/John Conboy era to me: Cassie and Edmund were sexing it up and the sets looked gorgeous. :lol:

I suspect B&B is the most widely-viewed of the US soaps, though, mainly because of its half-hour format.

• Members

Final Standings

HH

1 Y&R 3.8 (same)

2 B&B 2.7 (-.1)

3 DOOL 2.1 (same)

3 ATWT 2.1 (-.1)

3 GH 2.1 (same)

6 AMC 1.9 (same)

6 OLTL 1.9 (same)

8 GL 1.7 (-.1)

ABC