Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She does look good for her age. 

While everything else on SB seems to have ran like clockwork, it is a pity how the show didn't know what they were doing with characters like Warren, Jade, Ted, Danny, or Laken. It's just like they just threw darts against the wall and hoped something would stick. 

I am still trying to figure out what the gist of this hotel arc was. I didn't even know that the place was haunted. 

With Warren, it seems like they were just sticking him with anyone they could till something popped. Wasn't he supposed to be paired with Eden originally? Also, why didn't they try pairing Warren with Amy, who he had chemistry with a few episodes ago? An Amy/Brick/Warren triangle could've been interesting. 

• Members

A Brick/Amy/Warren triangle would have been a lot more interesting (and would have made a whole lot more sense) than the New Stailand story, which Richard Eden says to this day is the stupidest plot he's ever had to play out on any show!! On FB, he did share a funny tale about how he and Kerry Sherman (Amy) were on the New Stailand set in those hooded brown robes that made them look like refugees from Kung Fu. Richard decided to go commando under the robe, and he and Kerry could barely get through the filming of their scenes that day without completely losing it!

• Members

The New Stailand story is one that I keep reading and not getting the gist of it. Again, another pointless story on the canvas. SB had their grown tight with everyone in the Capwell bubble (minus Ted), and everyone else was just given scraps. I think had I watched the show in real time, I would've wanted to rewind a lot of the material in the early years of the show outside of the Capwells. The supporting characters truly had some bizarre stories. 

• Members

But seeing as you're a longtime SB fan, do you agree that unless you were in the orbit of Kelly/Eden/Cruz/CC/Sophia/Mason you weren't getting great story? From what clips about 91-92-ish, even Gina's stories start to get wacky once she was somewhat removed from the Capwell orbit. I get it b/c they are the primary family, but I still feel that soaps can invest in secondary characters too. 

What was the story supposed to be mocking then?

• Members

Well, I never watched the show when it was first on, but caught up through YouTube. Even the Capwells were somewhat pushed aside towards the end in 1992 when Pam Long came in as HW and introduced the Walker family, headed by Kim Zimmer.

But you're right that folks outside of the Capwell (and early on, Lockridge) orbit didn't really get much of a chance to flourish. Look how fast the Perkins and Andrade families were phased out, and after them, the Duvall/Bassetts, the Hartleys, the Donnellys, the DiNapolis, and the list goes on.