December 24-28, 2007

Toups

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know if this will make sense but the way I understand it is that the 2.4. or 2.1 is based on how many people are watching television during the specific time that a show is on. For example if 20 million people are watching network television at 2 p.m. but by 3 pm there are 19 million watching 2.1 would represent the percentage that was watching DOOL based on the total viewers watching television during that hour. Since the total number of viewers watching television during 2 to 3 pm fluctuates at any given time during the hour, that 2.1 will always be different than the total number of viewers watching one specific show.

If you look at the ratings closely you will notice that there is not that much of a difference in total number of viewers once after first and second place and that ATWT had more total viewers than GH but GH had a higher rating. My guess is that the total number of viewers are cummulative and don't accurately represent how many people were watching during a given time during the hour because if a show had a constant three million viewers during the hour then the ratings would reflect that. Maybe at 2 there were 2.5 million watching and by 2:30 two hundred thousand turned to another channel or turned their televisions off. At 2:45 another half million tuned in to bring the cummulative total for the hour to 3 million.

• Members

Judging from the ratings for the last few months, its not just your opinion. The show might be better than when Higley was writing but "better than Higley" is like "saner than Britney." What kind of standard is that?!

Obviously, there are a few people who love OLTL, as we've read ad nauseum. But there are obviously plenty more who simply don't care anymore and have checked the hell out. Frons' training has failed and it's costing the network money. It's time to cut him, Valentini and their antiquated ideas loose.

• Members

ratings do not add up to whats good at whats not. because if it did then Y&R would not be at the top.

however, i do agree that obviously not all OLTL fans are in love again. Sometimes i think people forget that a lot of people that watch the soaps dont come onto the net.

• Members

IA that ratings are not an indication of what is good or not. They just indicate what some people are watching at a given time.

The same goes for Y&R as OLTL. Just because some online viewers may have a problem with it, doesn't mean that other viewers do. I would imagine that for it to still maintain the top position some of the people there must find it good. I know there are habitual soap viewers who will watch no matter what is going on while hoping for better but I don't think that would account for the entire Y&R viewing population. Even though I prefer GH, I think Y&R is better written and they integrate their cast better. Now better writing for me really just boils down to more continuity and less scenes done for shock value. It means that the soap is more low key and less flashy than any of the ABCD soaps but that seems to help them retain a greater part of their audience than occurs with ABCD so it's a viable formula for now.

Archived