GREAT news classic soap fans!

• Members

I emailed SfM Entertainment, which owns syndication rights for The Doctors and got this response!

Isn't that FANTASTIC?! The Doctors (1963-1982) was an NBC soap which starred Elizabeth Hubbard, Kim Zimmer, Kathleen Turner and Alec Baldwin throughout the years. It also won two Emmys for Drama Series.

Shocking to me is that they have anything close to 5,000 episodes, with all the talk that soaps have destroyed most of their episodes. The Doctors only has 5,280 episodes, so that's pretty good! It gives me hope that other soaps are out there, we just don't know it.

Here's Wikipedia's page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctors_%...63_TV_series%29

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're kidding! They are releasing the episodes???!!! That's so great!

I have never seen DOCTORS, but I think episodes are available on YouTube. Plus, I'm glad for ANY soap being available on DVD and I hope this opens the door for future releases of other shows!!!

• Members

As much as I want this to be everything I've dreamt of and more, something just seems a little bit "too good to be true" to me." Cable and DVD? Last I heard, Hallmark has the rights to air it, but that was like...5 or 6 years ago. I wonder if they still have the rights...wherever it shows up, I sure as hell hope it doesn't end up on SOAPnet. It's hard enough for me to not care about not having that channel with "Ryan's Hope" and "Dallas" on there. Adding DOC would make me want it like crazy again.

5000 episodes..hmm...I wonder if he was referring to actual episodes owned or just using the number because of the number of episodes the show has altogether. I talked to Matt about DOC's surviving episodes when the whole Hallmark thing happened, and he told me that since it was produced by Colgate-Palmolive for a good bit of its run, the surviving episodes could go back as far as around 1973-1974. 5000 episodes would definitely be about most of the show's run, save for about a year and a half.

But good lord, I hope that it's all true! I could actually imagine it on Hallmark, really. They specialize in programming deemed to be for "old people," so I don't think they'd have any reservations about adding it. Can't wait for more news!

• Members

Have never seen an episode of The Doctors but as a big classic soaps fan, am totally willing to get behind this. I sure hope we get a date on when that DVD is coming out. I want to place my order now!

Psyched about seeing Elizabeth Hubbard and Kathleen Turner in this. It was a NBC soap, wasn't it?

• Members

It would be hard to pick one soap and call it the "best of the 70s." All of the soaps were at various states of greatness, and I still stand by the idea that the 70s was the greatest period in soap opera history.

As far as DOC is concerned, a long, long time ago, someone e-mailed me a good little summary of some of the bigger stories from the show's entire run, and it seems like some really good stuff. I really want to see the romance between Althea and Dr. Nick Bellini...

Archived