Joss Whedon preps Fox series

Sylph

• Members

Joss Whedon, Douglas Petrie (CSI, Tru Calling), Jane Espenson (Galactica, Eureka), Rebecca Rand Kirshner (I think she wrote for Gilmore Girls), Drew Goddard (now Lost), Drew Z. Greenberg, David Fury (Lost, now 24), Marti Noxon (Grey's Anatomy, show runner of Private Practice, a good friend of Shonda's) and that's it, I guess. Eight people, if I counted correctly.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do remember David Fury and Jane Espenson penning some stand-out episodes (as well as Whedon's Series Finale). But I also recall shuddering everytime I saw Rebecca Rand Kirshner or Drew Z. Greenberg's names in the writing credits. Those two bashed out some turkeys.

Still, on the whole, the BtVS and "Angel" Brain Trust continues to spread its influence throughtout Primetime (rivalled only by those who worked on Alias and, on Daytime, by those who wrote for Santa Barbara).

• Members

Definitely once of the best shows out there and Julie is kicking ass as Rita. The TV guide website is saying something about Spike (I assume just the actor) being on this new show JW, but I didn't listen to the podcast so I don't know if it's for sure.

• Members

I agree. After I saw "Becoming Part II" I literally just had to sit for forty minutes and admire the 44 minutes that I just watched. It was just so amazingly well crafted and well written, well acted, directed, ect. I just had to sit and just soak it all in. Just truely an amazing episode. One of the best season finales of Buffy ever. Right up their with Graduation Day and Chosen. Just watching Geller nail that scene where she sends Angel to hell gives one chills that just don't go away and even after you've seen it you don't believe it. That really cemented the entire series IMO in terms of direction. Buffy can never be happy while she is the slayer and you just watch her lose the most important thing to her she ever wanted after 6 months of agonizing torture she is given her one true love and has to kill him to save the world and it leaves her devestated and destroyed. Awesome twist.

I thought Charisma could have done evil quite well. However during the turning point of season 4 (where things went drastically downhill) was "Players" where Jasmine the Great took over and Cordelia was left in that forever coma. I thought the season would have been much better if the Angel team had to take down Cordelia (that would have been a similar storyline with Willow going evil on Buffy just not as poignant IMO). However they opted for this cult/world peace/opression theme that just sucked all the life out of season 4. I don't know who wrote season 4 of Angel but they severly masacred characters such as Gunn, Conner and Cordelia during that season and they never were able to recover.

I thought the best season and episodes of Angel were the ones were Angel had to sacrifice himself for whatever reason. I will always love episodes such as "Home", "I Will Remember You", "Sleep Tight" and "In The Dark" where Angel had to sacrifice his happiness for the good of the people he loved. We saw a great inner conflict and human sides of him in those four episodes and I think those would go in the books as my favorite episodes of Angel.

I thought Glory was an awesome villian! She was just so funny and later on we got to see a part of her that was so human. I love how Whendon adds humor and realism into his villians. In hind sight Glory wasn't so bad. She just wanted to go home. lol.

I agree that a good portion of Buffy's season 7 was useless. However I thought at the end (their final episodes) the show was perfect. "End Of Days" "Touched" "Dirty Girls" "Empty Places" and "Chosen" were all well done episodes. It was kind of like reverse of Angel's season 4 where it started out awesome but ended horriablly, Buffy started out horriable and ended great.

Archived