DAYS: Is Hogestyn really leaving Days? [TV Guide Canada]

• Members

If you’re not watching Days this week, then you’re not a real soap fan. This week, John Black dies after nearly 22 years of playing Marlena’s brainwashed true love. However, this is Days. And because the soap has burnt us before, I’m not completely convinced Drake Hogestyn is leaving the soap. When I asked a spokesperson if Drake was leaving the series, regardless if John Black was dead, she responded by saying, “As far as Drake goes, at this moment John's accident is fatal, however we ask that the viewers tune in, as you never know what will happen in Salem."

It’s clear Hogan Sheffer probably has a backup plan in case this sweeps stunt doesn’t work. FYI: Hogestyn’s contract does not expire until December. Either way, I’m told the aftermath of John’s death could net Deidre Hall (Marlena) not only an Emmy nomination, but also a win. The first soap I ever watched was Days, and it coincided with Hogestyn arrival on the soap. I fell in love with Marlena and John, so I have no doubt I’ll be buying stock in Kleenex this week.

Is James Scott daytime’s Lindsay Lohan? According to a newspaper report, a warrant has been issued for Scott’s “fiancée,” after the couple was caught sunbathing on a St. George Island beach in August. Meyghan Hill, 29, was cited Aug. 20, but Scott was let off with a warning because he’s not an American citizen. After failing to pay the fine, a warrant was issued for Scott’s other half. And Sami thought she had it bad.

In story news, Sami finally goes into labour — and I expect one of her twins will be named John (and Roman?) in true soap fashion.

TOP 5 SHOWS TO WATCH

1. Days of Our Lives

2. One Life to Live

3. The Bold and the Beautiful

4. The Young and the Restless

5. As the World Turns

TOP 5 ACTRESSES TO WATCH

1. Deidre Hall (Marlena, Days)

2. Alison Sweeney (Sami, Days)

3. Susan Flannery (Stephanie, B&B)

4. Heather Tom (Katie, B&B)

5. Kathy Brier (Marcie, OLTL)

TOP 5 ACTORS TO WATCH

1. Drake Hogestyn (John, Days)

2. Jack Wagner (Nick, B&B)

3. Trevor St. John (Todd, OLTL)

4. Anthony Geary (Luke, GH)

5. Bryan Dattilo (Lucas, Days)

TOP 5 COUPLES TO WATCH

1. Marlena and John, Days

2. Lucas and Sami, Days

3. Victor and Nikki, Y&R

4. Noah and Luke, ATWT

5. Carly and Jack, ATWT

http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn.ca/The...lson.htm?isfa=1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think that's an accurate representation of the situation. If this was a sweeps stunt how do you explain the randomness, the pitiful lack of build-up? I don't think it means much that Drake's contract goes through December, at an optimistic best they'd renew the contract and use him about 10 times a year just like they did in 2007. They can cover their asses, sure, but that's different from portraying it as a level-headed decision by the higher-ups. This show has no plan, no plan at all.

Thanks for posting Linn.

• Members

"“As far as Drake goes, at this moment John's accident is fatal, however we ask that the viewers tune in, as you never know what will happen in Salem."

WHAT a cop-out.

That means he's alive. :lol:

He survives. Somehow.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY want this death to stick. Just for the purity of the writing and the show's credibility. But I'd be a liar if I claimed no intrigue from all the "is he or isn't he" -- and then want him to survive.

• Members

>> WHAT a cop-out.

Exactly. It's that sort of candy-assed kowtowing that has DAYS in the mess that it's in right now.

If John is really and truly dead, and not just "DAYS-dead," then say so. Many fans may not like it - hell, some might even stop watching (if they haven't already) - but, as it was said before, what have you got to lose? Dangling a carrot in front of the viewers like that is just incredibly silly, and irresponsible, too.

• Members

I don't even watch Days anymore, and while Drake Hogestyn did deserve a better end if just for the sole reason of his longetivity, well...if this is another fake-out death, forget it. Days already cannot be taken seriously in terms of deaths. Everyone now comes back - except for the actors who have died, and the role then is retired.

If Days is struggling with killing John, TIIC should've thought about that before doing so. IMO, it would just be another nail in the coffin [no pun intended] to do another phony death. All the drama is wiped away on this soap because no one can trust that it is real.

• Members

It's because Days did something a few years back that was unprecedented in daytime... killing several veteran characters in a stupid, stupid storyline and then saying "wait, wait, wait, they're not dead" after numerous viewer protests and riots.

While it was great to get said actors back, it left Days in a huge pickle because every time a character died after that, you had to wonder if Days would drag out the "wait, they're on Melaswen!" angle (never mind Melaswen blew up, but that's another story).

Days might be realizing it just went down a road it shouldn't have. This is a story that will either result in a new direction for Marlena and for Days or a story that will blow up big time in the show's face and result in more lost viewers at a time the show can't risk losing audience.

The smart money is on the latter. I'm sticking with the show -- unlike when Alice choked on a donut during the SSK, causing me to temporarily leave Days after over 25 years of watching -- but if other fans leave, I can't blame them for departing.

• Members

I compare this to when Original Roman fell off the cliff in 1983. He wasn't dead then either, but at the time, Marlena ended up going after Stefano herself.

Why would fans leave over Drake? EVERYONE (and I mean all Days fans) have made fun of his acting for years, so the show is just taking advantage of it. I'm telling you, something is going on in Drake's personal life (perhaps related to that stalking incident months ago) that is causing this story to be told.

Please stick with DAYS, fans through & through. It's better than it's been in MANY, many years.

• Members

John could be dead...but that doesn't mean that Drake can't play another character on the show. Perhaps John was like Andre...a pawn made up to resemble someone else Stefano knew but couldn't control...perhaps a younger brother. If Drake were to return as that person, there could be a whole new storyline waiting for him.

Loretta

• Members

I'm beginning to wonder if Hogan hasn't planned for John's demise from the beginning. There was a lot of talk about Marlena becoming the show's matriarch and becoming her own woman, but nothing about John. Then the stalking incident occurred at Drake's home. I think it was right after this that John was shot and ended up in a coma.

Perhaps Corday didn't want to kill off John while Drake was getting over the stalker incident and testifying against that guy? But then John languished in the coma for a lonnnnng time. Even Drake got tired of it. So he woke up, kissed Marlena, read some letters, and then suddenly got hit by a car and died.

Hmmm.

Archived