Another Vet Leaves GH

• Members

WHen was she put on recurring? One thing I always have respected AMC for (well besides the Julia Barr mess) is they usually treat their old actors who have served the show well with the respect they're deserved--Palmer always seems in worse and worse shape when I see him and is used sparringly but they kept him on contract (ditto Myrtle--and they kept Ruth Warrick on contract until she passed away). It could be argued that these contracts are costing the show money it can't afford but I think it's a respect thing

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I don't like abotu recurring is it usually means we see less of a character (I guess tha't sobvious but bear with me). ie if they have a character on contract they'll be mor elikely to have them in "throaway" scenes--you know if someone goes to someone's house and the mother is on contract she might be there briefly but if she's on recurring and it means payign the actress they'll just not have her--losing some fo the sense of reality and community a soap needs

• Members

And in Stuart Damon's case, they didn't just fire him, they dragged it out. Killed off Alan and used him as a ghost until his contract ended. Talk about the pendulum swinging overhead. You get dumped and then spend all those months still working knowing that you're going to get dumped at the end.

I've only watched sparingly, when some of my former faves returned, but isn't Monica basically the next Audrey at this point? The older Quartermaines seem to have been rendered superfluous.

• Members

This sucks. But it wasn't like Stuart Damon where he was showed the door. She may have been offered recurring and she turned it down or she simply wanted to retire. We don't know. I do hope that she will come back on occassion

• Members

They could have written it into the show. All it would have took is one eppy. They could have had Audrey retire on screen. She put in 40 years at GH. Or at the very least she should have gotten some kind of acknowledgment from the show that she retired. .

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when GH celebrated one its anniversaries a few years back, they had Audrey celebrate a record number of shifts at the hospital, but Rachel Ames was RECURRING then. I don't see why they couldn't have asked her back for ONE day and just say she's retiring and moving to Florida or something or just simply MENTION it, without her there. She's put in too many years at this show for her character to simply be ignored like that.

• Members

I don't blame Rachel Ames whatsoever. GH, Brian Scott Frons, Jill Farren Phelps, Robert Guza should all be ashamed of themselves. She should've never been taken off contract in the first place, and since she's Elizabeth's grandmother, she should have had more family on the show and more airtime herself! So sad. I agree that GH should've written Ames's retirement into the show and given her a nice warm sendoff!

Archived