DAYS: Would you enjoy a serial killer storyline?

• Members

OK, so I was wondering what DAYS could do to create some buzz about the show again. And I was thinking, what if there was another serial killer storyline, and you connect it back to the "murders" in 2004, with Salem being rocked by murders that are real this time. Marlena could receive letters or calls saying that she is the only one who can stop the murders (like back in the Salem Strangler days), and since she wasn't able to do the job this last time in 2004, he/She is going to do it for her! Obviously, you would portray it as a real murder mystery, not extreme Camp like it was under JER. There would be a real killer, a real motive, and the victims would stay dead. There is a lot of dead weight on the show, you could cut the budget, and the show would have some real drama to it again What do you think? Like it, don't like it? How would you make it better? And who would you kill off that would have maximum impact, but wouldn't hurt the show longterm?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, I think a serial killer storyline would be the worst idea right now. I think it is too soon from the disasterous Salem Serial Killer storyline. I think fans will be turned off, not only because vets would probably be released (again), but they would also be thinking, what's the point of watching, when everyone will end up alive later on down the line. They can say that the dead will stay dead, but they said that back in 2003/04, so... I don't think it would be a good idea. If people need cut, send them out of town. No more deaths in Salem!

• Members

Hogan Sheffer did a wonderful job on ATWT when he did the Memorial Murders back in 2003.John James did a wonderful job as Dr. Rick Decker being the serial killer(aka Dr. Death).The vets were really used that storyline.Maybe if Hogan is allowed to write the story with free reign it should have an impact and a payoff to go along with it.

• Members

It depends on who is killed off and how it is executed given the mockery this show makes out of death.

I think it would have been great had the show made Andre a serial killer again after revealing that he was impersonating Tony, but the show screwed up with all that non-fatal bomb silliness that showed Andre to be about the worst serial killer ever so I don't know how I would feel if he REALLY started killing people now. I do think there are some worthless characters cluttering the canvas who could be killed off and if they are writing people out I'd rather they get big dramatic deaths that are a part of the plot rather than just hit by a car and their body disappears or something.

• Members

Right, and part of the story would be that the killer is killing, because he wants to make it real, unlike last time. So in that sense, DAYS can piggback on the success of the serial killer story last time, but at the same time distancing itself from the mockery of the fake deaths, by making them real. I think it would create some buzz for the show again. We finally have better written stories and full bodied characters, but now we need explosive stories to go with it. And there really are lots of characters you can kill off, which would have an effect on the characters, but not make the audience so mad, that they stop watching. John could be the most explosive victim, but you could kill off say, Roman, Shawn Sr, Andre, Max, Nick, and a couple others. I don't know, just something to think about on a saturday afternoon :)

• Members

OK... now that I've seen the magic that could be a Roman/Anna/Tony/Kate love square I can't abide Roman being killed off. Before I would have been down, but not now.

I am cool however with the following people dying in the story... Benjy, Jett, Max, Grandpa Shawn, Billie, Andre and for buzz factor... John.

• Members

OK, I will spare Roman, cause for the first time in say 10 years!, he has come alive with Kate, Tony, and Anna. Maybe EJ will be suspected and Sami will be the only one who believes he is innocent, and has to try to help him, even though she will still claim she loves only Lucas! :)

• Members

Thursdays ending with Kate in the pub was nice it was a good sceen the entire shows gone darker and the acting was good...if a serial killer came or even a copy cat killer it would be fun. if they killed the right people and they stayed dead! umm what was i saying can't remember now.

oh i remember now, its funny how Kate and Anna don't talk about umm lets see what do they have in common oh yeah Austin and Carrie how they love each other...

i really dont like Kate/Roman/Tony/Anna because where does that leave Victor/Vivian?

• Members

I'm not opposed to a serial killer story if it is done well. But the SK storyline on Days the last time -- it caused me to switch off the television and not tune into Days for a long time after. I hated it because it was a joke. I invested time watching the story of brutal murders with the killer turning out to be Marlena only to have it turn out to be all fake. Caused me to lose trust in the show that I'm only now beginning to regain. If the deaths were permanent and not played for laughs, and the consequences of those deaths were shown (grief, emotional impact on families), then, yeah, I'd go for it. Still would make me queasy because I'd always be thinking, "I know this is going to be a joke -- again."

• Members

Looking back, it would have been sad to have lost James Reynolds and Suzanne Rogers for good, but when everyone turned up alive like they did, it ruined the entire story and the show to some degree. Imagine, if Marlena really did kill everyone, and then we learned exactly what happened to her, why she lost touch with reality... It could have been great

• Members

Um considering Vivian hasn't been on DOOL for YEARS and isn't ever coming back (yeah I don't like it either, but it's the truth) and the fact that Victor hasn't been on the show in months then I guess we can just imagine Vic and Viv are living it up together somewhere drinking expensive champagne and toasting the demise of their enemies.

But the Kate pub scene definitely had a great scary vibe scene. When Kate screamed I got kind of a flashback to that AWESOME scene after she married Roman and you hear her scream and she comes out with her white wedding dress covered with BLOOD.

Archived