DAYS: Another Shock Uncasting Rumor

Evan

• Members

Either way you slice it, and I've said this before, but I'm not prepared to see those numbers if Drake/Deidre are written off because they will be abysmal. This will cause a major loss in audience and I'm not so sure the show can recover from it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think they should get rid of Dee, but you know, with the way they *haven't* been featuring her, it's almost like there wouldn't be a difference if she was gone. It's really sad. Marlena used to have a personality, and now she's just a prop like poor Maggie. I hope that changes soon. Days has existed without Marlena before and it did just fine... however, now would not be the time to go without her.

• Members

This was posted in the Suds Report, on Canadas TV Guide Online

Days of our Lives (Global/NBC) — Drake drama: real or rumour? Shocking claims revealed!

Pandemonium went into overdrive late last week when several industry insiders claimed top daytime hunk Drake Hogestyn (John) was unceremoniously fired by NBC — a fate the actor hinted at several months earlier. A Days spokesperson denies Hogestyn, whose contract expires in March 2009, was let go, but several reliable sources tell TV Guide Hogestyn’s future is still in question as the sudser debates killing off John Black to save money in its quest for survival.

However, it seems that the Hogestyn hoax is only a suspicious part in a much larger mystery at the soap that some are calling an agenda at sinking a rival series! One very reliable source suspects, “something has been up on the set ever since they hired [former Y&R top honcho] Ed Scott and [casting director] Marnie Saitta.

“And there’s been a positive vibe, which on this show, is suspicious! For some reason, out of the blue, NBC has renewed hopes for our show. Network execs have even visited the set recently and were in a happy mood. All we can surmise from gossip is that NBC knows Y&R is slipping creatively and thinks this is the first time in history a show could overtake them [since they’ve been No. 1 in the ratings], which is why they hired Ed, who was unfairly ousted from his job for [Lynn Marie Latham]. He’d love to personally avenge his dismissal by proving he can make a show on the brink of cancellation the No. 1 show in daytime!”

Another source agrees, adding that Scott has brought everyone’s morale up and demanded excellence from the cast and crew. So whatever the case for the renewed hope at Days, all we can say is, bring it on, Ed — because we’re on your side; Y&R stinks. However, perhaps Days could put a moratorium on “killing” off major characters only to bring them back alive in the next scene. We’re just saying.

• Members

It should be really interesting to see what happens this fall. And I know it's been said many times, but I just really hope, that if John is killed off, it becomes a major event. Honestly, I feel like it wouldn't take much for DAYS to REALLY take off, but it still is lacking that kind of soapy intensity, which is one of the things JER really did well. One thing that I keep hoping for is that Philip and Stephanie cross paths; JKJ can be such a great leading man if he's given the chance, and Henning is so beautiful, and talented enough, that if Stephanie is give some depth, they could really be good together. And with Steve and Kayla most likely raising Philip's child; it could be really good drama!

• Members

There is so much untapped potential for great soap conflict. Why can't Kate and Marlena become rivals like they should be? why doesn't Marlena ever have any scenes with Stefano? Why isn't Billie still involved in Steve and Kayla's life? Billie and Steve had the same kind of upbringing, and with all of the years that Steve and Kayla were apart, why isn't there some fear on their part that that they will never be able to get back what they once had? Why doesn't Jeremy ever deal with his family? How do the Hortons feel about him? There is so much there to use, and it's ignored. It's really frustrating.

• Members

Days can't even get pass ATWT, OLTL, AMC, GH and B&B and they expect it to knock Y&R from #1? :rolleyes::blink:

Though I'd like very much for Y&R to lose it's #1 position, but the only non-CBS soap that has any chance of doing that right now is GH.

Also, I seriously doubt Scott would want to screw over the show his own wife is on.

Sony owns both Y&R and Days, I also highly doubt they'd want either one of their properties to suffer.

• Members

I couldn't agree more. Nobody in this industry is hoping a show fails. that's completely counter-productive. Does everyone want to put out the best show they can? Absolutely. Even if they're not, it's only because they're not in tune with what their fans want. Everyone in this business wants EVERY soap to succeed. It would be a different story twenty years ago: if one soap was canceled chances are, another one would take its place. But now that hour of time goes back to the affiliates for judge shows and talk shows. So believe me... nobody is hoping to run anyone into the ground. It's like dominoes... one falls, and so do the rest.

that being said, someone always has to be in last place (it's like, someone always comes in last in their class in medical school). So of course there's a competitive nature in terms of the demos. (HH Ratings, as others have said, mean very little.) But to think that employees at one show are praying to get another show canceled is kind of preposterous. Methinks it's more about the press trying to put a juicier spin on the Ed Scott change-over, to sell magazines.

• Members

Personally, I believe fanbases are a detriment when they are for couples. An actor is an individual and should not be tied at the hip with another to depend on a job. People should realize that Drake and Dee are not Siamese twins, but totally individual and have places on the show without each other. The idea that Marlena is dead without John is like burying a queen with her dead husband. Ridiculous. In fact, Dee has been on the show and is part of it's earliest history. The characters, Alice Horton and Maggie Horton are the only two who have been on longer, but Dee has had more story and is why Hogan thought she was the icon of Days. She surely should be here as long as there is a Days. I think John has a good part, but he is not indispensible. He has no real connections or potential for a story unless certain things happen. If they do, he could be back in a big way, too.

Also, someone mentioned how Hogan cannot create a character that we all love. He actually ruined Nick who was the best new potentially great character, but hopefully he could be brought back with skillful writing. He created a pitiful character in the role of a Horton...Jeremy. I think I really hate Hogan for this. Jeremy could have been a wonderful character written by a writer who knew the history of Days, loved the Horton family and respected them, but instead he made this gorgeous man into a wimpy jerk and criminal at that. I think he stabbed himself with that dreadful mistake.

I hope that Ed Scott has an influence in the writing and direction with respect for the history of the characters and sorts of storylines fans love and expect.

Archived