The Tennis Thread

• Administrator

Just read and saw the clips from the women's doubles controversy where the ball girl was accidentally hit with the ball.  It was clearly an accident and they didn't deserved to be disqualified.  Apparently the umpire only gave them a warning, but the other pairing complained which brought in the supervisor and tournament referee, and they were the ones who made the disqualification call.  

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

Good. 

Having Djokavic meet Alcarez in the semis is so dumb.  They shouldn’t have been in the same half of the draw.  This was the most desirable matchup….and it won’t be the finals.  

• Members

It’s funny that a lot of people expected Coco and Casper would embarrass themselves, be out in the early rounds, and lose a gazillion points they defended from last year’s finals. They acquitted themselves pretty well, with Coco losing in the QF and Casper advancing to the SF.

• Members

Girl you're on it.  I thought the same exact thing.  Watch Saudi start tournaments for all ailing sports because - Oil.  I've said for years that with electric technology in cars - they know their days are numbered.  Not that if they ever paid ANY attention to their money - they'll never have to worry again - the upper crust anyway and oil families.  But this is clearly their next grab - just take over the multi billion dollar sports industry - watch it happen.  

The PGA sucks for this but can you blame them?  Look on the dude's face was regretful, sadness, and throwing in the towel.  We've been beaten and you can't hide it.  You can't beat money.

Scary.  

Aside, someone remind me why the French was my favorite tournament?  The days of Chrissie, Martina, Steffi and Monica - along with the people in-between that were powerhouses that spiced things up - like Capriati, Clijsters (loved her), Mary Pierce, and later the group led by the Williams sisters....it's all over.  Maybe it has been and I hadn't noticed.  But this has been a YAWNER.  Where the hell have I been?

• Members

From what I read a couple years ago, the Saudis are planning for the end of “big oil” by investing in solar, wind and ‘green energy tech’. Their insertion into international sports markets is ‘sports washing’ and trying to acquire a level of high prestige. Argentinian soccer star Lionel Messi is getting a lot of praise for turning down what was no doubt an obscene amount of money from the Saudis to play for Inter Miami in the MLS league. He said that his wife didn’t want to move so far and he didn’t want to play so far from home and also he has a house in Miami.

Judging from the response from many of the PGA’s biggest players, they also understand the deal even if they still hate it.

And yeah, I agree, those days when tennis had an abundance of big personalities with the games to match are over for the foreseeable future. Som many players now just want to put their heads down and “work”.

You can’t really sell a whole lot of television time on major networks with that.

I saw about a set of the match and it was fairly entertaining, from the portion I saw. One of the commentators observed that Muchova appeared to be limping towards the end of the match. For her sake, as well as the sakes of all those spectators who paid money for tickets to the women’s final, Muchova better be fit to compete well on Saturday or folks will be disappointed.