Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Tsitsipas and Fritz both out in R1 within minutes of each other (both to players who’ve never won a single match at the USO—for Holt, it was his first GS main draw match, period). Lots of upsets on the men’s side.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

At least something good came out of this horrible tournament. Why does ESPN commentators hate Tracy Austin? They were so bummed the robot lost. The only one who was supportive was Pam Shriver.

I've been watching all of today's matches on espn3 because the tv telecast has been horrendous with all talk and no matches. I'm hearing the international feed was the same. I thought this tournament couldn't get worse but it has this year.

• Members

So this is interesting because I've always felt this way.  Ditto with Monica Seles.  You won't hear many commentators really talk about Tracy's accomplishments, really - because there were few, probably not enough to talk a lot about.  Monica, of course a little more, but you can tell they don't love to talk about it.  For Tracy, from all the articles I read and accounts - she was not in the "in" crowd in the locker room, on travel, etc.  Well, she couldn't have been.  She was 15 to 17 years old.  And at the time, she was the only player to REALLY gouge into the Chrissy/Martina dominance.  Similar arguments I've heard for Andrea Jaeger but  - it's just not there to me for Andrea.  She didn't win a slam.  But Tracy did, becoming number one in the world.  And at first it was a fluke, nothin' to see here folks.  But then it was a Year End Championships or two, and then she won the Open again.  She ended some players' streaks and I think the former guard realized that the shi* got real.  At the time, and still, it's a lot of fans and commentators I've heard that call Tracy "robotic".  I have gotten into arguments over this - with who I am 99% sure were Tennis pros on message boards.  They assure me that Tracy was nothing but a Robot.  To which I've said (and I am the biggest Chrissy fan, no doubt)...but I said - well then, so was Chrissy right?  Because Chris said herself it was like staring across the net at herself...she has said it ALL the time.  But no, there's a difference you see (don't know what that is)...because for the life of me, their stroke production is so similar it's uncanny.  But no, you ask the real Chrissy fans, and there is a huge difference, and you do not know Tennis if you cannot see it.  I say they are very similar in play, other than their records and longevity obviously.  But at the time, no one had come along to beat both Chris and Martina in the same tournaments.

All that aside - I was watching Keys yesterday and you could have knocked me over.  I was like Jesus - she's RUNNING!  She's BENDING HER KNEES!  WHAT?  WHY?  HOW!???  Who IS THIS PERSON!?   I'm sure the real Keys will show up very soon, but it was odd to see her look like she was actually TRYING out there.