The Tennis Thread

• Members

If I remember, I've heard Mary Jo Fernandez talk about it a lot.  Endometriosis pretty much ended her career.  I don't remember the details but I do remember her saying that for years she didn't even know what was wrong, or that they couldn't pinpoint it or something, and that's what it was.  

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Danielle Collins had surgery to deal with hers. It can be a very serious condition.

People tend to treat menstruation as nbd but it can be very disruptive to one’s life and it’s not discussed. Years later, Steffi Graf once admitted that she had lost a very important match after she experienced really bad menstrual cramps. It can also cause headaches and nausea, even vomiting. From memory, Serena was really the first player that I remembered to have openly stated in an interview that she sometimes experienced period headaches.

• Members

At 55, I still have periods but they seem to be winding down.  Hopefully, the big M is nearing the end.  In my younger days, once a quarter, I had the worst periods.  Nausea, headaches and no energy.  I didn't know which month but I knew 4 times a year, I would be down bad!  However, I just don't understand why there needs to be a conversation in tennis about this.  There's no solution.  Stop the tourney until all the women have had their monthly?  The players who are on don't play?  There's just no conversation here IMHO.  

• Members

A very composed match from Coco to reach her first SF in a major. This is why I have always said the pronouncements being made about her career were premature, to say the least.

The conversation is to educate the public, rather than to constantly denigrate the women’s game as being some inferior entity because the results in tournaments may not be as staunchly consistent as those on the men’s tour.

The women in sports themselves have expressed gratitude that the “cat’s out of the bag”. If folks can discuss Rafa’s baldness, then they can discuss this. It’s a natural function of the body and nothing to be evasive or ashamed of.

• Members

Well the gf abuser has been ticked off that the attention has been all on Carlos. That's probably why he's up for the match. Both NBC and Tennis Channel mentioned he was pissed with the tennis media about it.

I've enjoyed the matches on NBC and Peacock better than on Tennis Channel. I just can't stand Jim Courier, Brett Haber and Co.

• Members

I think I’ve mentioned- I’m DC and Brett was a local sports anchor. Pretty much everyone here was shocked that he moved on to anything other than local sports. He was terrible and not what you’d expect of a National or global commentator.  As for this match I think that sealed another French for either Rafa or Joker.  I think Carlos could have beaten them regardless of history. Zverev’s mental game will get him in the end.

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

It's actually a boring match after all the hype. Rafa is dominating even though he just lost one of his two breaks in the second set. Rafa is playing vintage Rafa.  When you have Novak smiling and then complaining to the ball people to move it quicker you know Novak is being routed.

Please register in order to view this content

Novak getting into It with some fans.. What a surprise! Telling them to shut the fuc k up you b!tch!

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I saw bits and pieces of the Alcaraz/Zverev match. It’s not a surprise that Alcaraz sort of wilted under the weight of expectations. I was on the watch to see when/if it would happen. The focus, attention and pressure of a major is on a different level than that of even a Masters series tournament.

Zverev beat Alcaraz with his worst shot, his second serve, which a more experienced player would have made mincemeat out of. Zverev’s atrocious second serve actually let Carlitos back into the match, but Alcaraz’s lack of experience in a major didn’t help him create a bigger opening that would have been necessary in order to wrest control of the match.