Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It is apparent that he is very close to his family and would rather be with his mom than on the tour. I don't have a problem with that....whatever makes him happy. He does have talent even though I loathe his backhand....LOL. He seems younger than his years though...which may affect what he does with his life.

• Members

The women's US Open final was higher rated than last year's and 2015 finals but lower than Serena's win in 2014. And the final was lower rated than the two all American semi finals. I am assuming the lackluster performance from Keys had a lot to do with that.

• Members

The 2017 Women's final ratings do not surprise me. There was more interest than the two previous years, particularly in the U.S. market, since these were two Americans, fresh-faced and photogenic yet outside of tennis, all but completely unknown.

Sloane's comeback narrative didn't really have much time to 'catch fire' since the media was pretty fixated on Sharapova and Sloane was pretty much 'flying under the radar' which honestly, likely helped her since there weren't a lot of eyes (and pressure) on her as she advanced round by round.  

Good for Sloane (and especially her bank account) but mixed blessings for tennis, IMO as they were able to capitalize somewhat but not in the way they capitalized when the Williams Sisters won their first major titles.

Also, it didn't help that the final was so lackluster in quality. It's possible that viewers came but didn't stay watching.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

This Laver Cup sucks. Why is it not being played in Australia? Why isn't the USA vs the World a la the golf tour? Why weren't the players picked by their rankings? Why is Tiafoe there instead of other Americans ranked higher than him?  The Laver Cup will NOT grow American tennis or viewership. That's what we need.

• Members

Well, I do like the black courts, LOL.

Isner, Querrey and Sock are all there so I'm not sure what other Americans you mean? Donaldson? Taylor Fritz?  Maybe they don't have as good agents as Tiafoe has, LOL.

For what it's worth, Tiafoe did alright for a rookie, absent a few poor decisions, he did a lot better against Cilic than some would have predicted. Cilic loves Tiebreaks, he usually rocks them-- just ask Jo Wilfried. 

EDT:

Yes, because it is named after Laver, it would have been fitting to have the inaugural Cup in Australia but my guess is...the travel would be an issue since this is in the middle of the European indoor hard court season and many of these guys won't want to take a 16 hours flight back to Europe from Australia.

The other thing is that this is Roger Federer's "baby".  He conceived this and his agent/representation organized this tournament, so I think Roger probably wanted it in Europe, given the travel schedule for the rest of the year for the majority of the players, travelling to Australia would have exhausted these guys.

Also, in terms of why Frances is there, honestly, I think Roger Federer might have wanted Frances there, after Juan Martin pulled out. Federer is probably more aware than most of the need of a diverse looking group. Also, Federer considers himself of having links to Africa, through his South African mother. He knows that Frances is of African heritage by way of his Sierra Leonean parents, once del Potro withdrew, he probably wanted Frances to come onboard.

• Members

I hate them...LOL.  I feel like I have to change the color to my tv screen....LOL ...I guess they did it black for the retro look of what Laver was watched on...black and white TV?....LOL

And why is it named the Laver Cup? I really don't get all the hoopla over Laver......

My Thiem is up next!

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I heard that about watching on TV but I'm live-streaming it and it looks good! (*shrugs*) It probably looks great for the people in the stands at the O2.

I'm pretty sure your boy Thiem would not have wanted this Cup to be in Australia, you know he plays a tournament every 5 minutes, he's probably signed up for one right after Laver Cup.

• Members

Wow..he did?....LOL...I saw the first set and stopped watching....came back and they were in a 2nd set tie breaker ....Thiem takes it....Thiem starts off 0-3 in tiebreaker and change channel...don't want to see my Thiem lose...and he WON??....runs to TV to see DVR copy of it.....LOL

Thanks DramatistDreamer.....teehee

Edited by Hunk Chandler Massey