The Tennis Thread

• Members

It was too short to be dull.....LOL  Did it even last an hour?

I see there were no camera views of Lindsay Davenport after the match. She must have been crushed. I am curious what Tennis Channel will say later on about the match.

And everytime I hear Kevin Anderson speak with a lisp I think of Cindy Brady.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Interesting...the women's semi finals had the highest ratings since 2012. That's a good sign. See if Americans win people tune in.

Fed vs Delpo also had more than double the ratings from last year's QF's on the same night. Madison Key's QF match also had a higher rating than both the men's and women's final from last year. I guess all the American women success plus Roger had viewers tuning in this year.

So Novak, Murray, Wawrinka being a no show didn't matter ratings wise instead the ratings actually went up without them....LOLOLOLOLOL

• Members

I wonder how the tournament as a whole did ratingswise. A Fed/Delpo match at the U.S. Open especially is always going to be a major event, given their history and status as players. And it was building to a possible Fedal semi, the first ever at Flushing. So it's not surprising that that particular match would boost ratings.

I know Novak and Andy aren't fan favorites in the way that Roger and Rafa are, but I can't help but think the tour is severely diminished without them, Stan, Kei, and even Milos to an extent. When five of the top 11 are out, it's bad for the sport. And there was a lack of good competitive matches at this year's USO. Say what you will about the guys who are out, but when they are playing at a high level, they consistently push and often beat Roger and Rafa. And let's be real, the next-tier players haven't really stepped up in their absence at the majors. (Kudos to PCB and Kevin Anderson for capitalizing on opportunities to go deep while folks like Dimitrov, Tsonga, Berdych, Ferrer, Kyrgios, and Sascha Zverev floundered.) 

One hopes that in 2018, the injured guys pull it together while the youngsters like Shapovalov and Tiafoe polish their mental games and really give fans something worth watching.

And I hope Yoshihito Nishioka comes back strong from the ACL injury. I just admire how he owned Jack Sock and really threatened Stan earlier this year.

Overall, the USO was a snooze, and tennis feels like it's in a weird transitional moment. But there's a lot to be hopeful about with the American women doing so well. And it'll be exciting to see how everyone adjusts to returns of Serena, Azarenka (fingers crossed), Novak, Andy, Kei, and Stan in 2018. 

• Members

The women's side by far, had more competitive matches. Really, it was only the women's finals that failed to entertain.

While the men had some very  entertaining matches, the women have been consistently providing the majority of the most entertaining matches in the Slams all year. Too bad tennis is too chauvinistic to acknowledge this.