Which Soap has the best sets?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not a big DAYS watcher but I agree. It was a great idea for a soap set.

Overall I'd say the Bell soaps have the most visually appealing sets. They have the most money and it shows in the furnishings and accessories. The home layouts on B&B are more believeable as places where the wealthy would live though. On Y&R I find the Abbot house to be small and cluttered despite the attention to detail. Kay Chancellor's mansion should have a grander entrance hall. And the Newman estate? You have to trudge through the living room to get to every other room in the house. Both these mansions need grand foyers like Viki's and Dorian's from OLTL.

• Members

OLTL excels at outdoor sets and with their lighting. I don't their all of their indoor sets are that creative though. ATWT is another with good lighting and excellent outdoor sets. They also have interesting indoor sets which feel like real homes, IMO.

Y&R USED to have great sets, but now everything is so blah and too similar. It's like they don't even try anymore. B&B on the other hand looks better each year it seems! Building those HUGE expensive sets have paid off for them. They still use most of them and they look brilliant. During Brooke's brutal rape, I was impressed at how she could travel around the house, which you don't see on soaps much. There was a real staircase, full downstairs area, bedroom AND a master bath!

I think it's about having a good Executive Producer who knows how to run the ship. Look at Y&R, they had all the elements, but replacing Ed Scott and Kathy Foster with Lynn Latham/Josh Griffin and all that beauty is gone. It's not about how much money you have, but what you do with that money. Look at how far ATWT manages to stretch their budget.

• Members

I'm of the opposite view with B&B in that I think the sets have decreased in quality over the years with all of the offices (except Eric's, now Nick's at FC) becoming very generic. The Forrester mansion seemed to be realistically glamorous in the 1980s/early 90s but now it seems plastic and threadbare. I've always hated Brooke's house so I wouldn't count that as anything special either. My biggest problem with all of these "mansions" is that none of them have anything resembling an entrance foyer and Brooke's is the worst offender with her living room/kitchen/diner and crappy stairs leading to a first floor that's at shoulder height.

I think the soap that knows how to use their sets the best is OLTL though the sets themselves seem to be of varying quality. It is the only daytime soap that comes close to realistically representing daylight and this is reflected in the outdoor sets too. Having watched last week, and I don't know if this is something they do regularly, I liked the use of so many kitchens in scenes. They are supposed to be the heart of a home and it makes things seem a little less melodramatic when people are squabbling while getting orange juice from the fridge. Much more relatable which is exactly what daytime needs.

Y&R has decent sets with Newman Enterprises (I actually like LML's attempts to inject that with more realism) and Katherine's house but the lighting is too theatrical for television.

Obviously GL's are the worst but we all know why that is.

NBC on the whole does nothing for me. Passions sets are all as cartoony as the show and I've not seen enough of DOOL recently to comment. What I can do is echo other peoples' sentiments that getting rid of Salem Place was a stupid, stupid idea. External backlot sets like those should be a progression to the norm, not removed.

• Members

Viki's kitchen has been around for ages but seemed to be MIA for a few years. The last two years or so it reappeared, pretty much the same as it always was, and lately has been featured quite frequently.

Dorian's kitchen is relatively recent, I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong. Like Viki's, lately it has seen as much if not more activity than the rest of her house.

Good call, though. And it ties in to what people want in real life. Large, well-outfitted kitchens seem to be the "must-have" nowadays.

• Members

I really like the sets that B&B use!! They are huge and very detailed. You can tell that the show actually spends money on them. Y&R has some nice sets also. Days sets are ok but I can't believe they did get rid of Salem place. That was really a neat set. The only other soap I really used to watch is AMC and there sets look cheap compared to CBS.

• Members

I agree. And I always hated that reproduction or whatever of Michelangelo's Libyan Sibyl (The Libica). I love that fresco! Such a beautiful painting, but to see it hanging in some LA mansion like that? <_< Apart from the entrance, I hate the doors, someone can break so easily or whatever in any of these mansions, no grandeur whatsoever.

1fd03bec02.jpg

• Members

I think Y&R, B&B, GH, OLTL, AMC has the best.

Days is hit and miss.

I love the Kirikis mansion, the Horton house, Brady Pub, and Tuscany.

Sami's apartment, Bo and Hope's house, Steve and Kayla's suite are in my opinion horrible.

PSNS has some bad sets as well

I hate the Crane mansion, Eve's house, The Bennett house.

But, I like Sheridan's cottage, the book cafe, and Tabitha's house

Archived