Primetime Soaps

• Members

Esther Shapiro was inspired by I, Claudius for Dynasty, she really wanted her show to be a smart, sophisticated modern take on a complex family drama about greed, power, secrets, ambition... I think a lot of people have been programmed to believe that the first season stunk, but as others have said, that isn't true. Alexis' contribution cannot be ignored however. What I find curious is that Esther was after an I, Claudius for the '80s, and yet she didn't have her Livia in play from the jump (or at least three or four episodes in). Of course networks weren't so cancel happy back then, DYN's creative team must have had faith, but the show could have very well been cancelled before "Enter Alexis" and boy would the '80s have been a different place.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There was a real drought on younger women in Hollywood for a lot of the mid/late 60s and early/mid 70s (I think Ellen Burstyn even went on TV and told the Academy to boycott the Best Actress voting one year), and women like Ali and Katherine are examples of that. Just dull. Faye Dunaway was also a bit dull early on but had presence and became a much more interesting screen personality as she aged. So did Candice Bergen, albeit on TV, not film. But Katharine Ross, just....zzzz. And playing a dim ingenue when she was over 40! I seem to remember an incredibly dull story where her presumed dead husband returned so she would have to split up with Charlton. Wasn't her cliffhanger in the last episode rolling down a hill or something?

I'd love to see this Connie show as well. I'm surprised more US programs didn't hire Stephanie. She even stole the show in one of my favorite comedies, Troop Beverly Hills.

• Members

The 70s in general were a bad time to be a woman in Hollywood--as great as the American cinema explosion was at the time, it didn't do much for women characters/actresses (unless you count infamous misogynistic examples like Faye D in Network).

Why am I not surprised Troop Beverly Hills is one of your fave comedies ;)

• Members

Oh my God, I was thinking about that movie just this morning in the shower! My niece has a birthday coming up and I was going to do a little '80s dvd thing, Troop Beverly Hills, She-Ra box set, Jem...

"He's MY dad: James. 'The Jackhammer'. SHAkar. Now Daddy, SHAKE the man's hand and let's be ON our way!"

They were definitely going for a Jackie Collins thing with Steph's character. :D

ETA: Excuse me, STEPHANIE. She does not like to be called Steph since childhood ("Deaf Steph").

Eric, you're my age, you must remember Sister Kate.

Edited by SFK

• Members

They couldn't have been less subtle if they tried. Her first scene was roaring up in her car and dictating her lusty novel via tape recorder.

The movie really is a lot of fun though, and, unlike most comedies, especially today, was actually amusing, instead of bigoted and mean-spirited.

I think my favorite part was always Shelley Long's dance class (do the Freddie!) and her attempts at merit badges.

• Members

Your niece is lucky! :P

Yeah, it's funny, I was looking her up a month or two ago and totally flash backed to Sister Kate--couldn't even find a youtube clip though. I remember it VERY well which is odd as we were allowed to watch next to no tv in the 80s (before I was ten :P )--maybe only 30 mins a night--like the Cosby Show, etc.

• Members

Yes, she was very good on the show, she was around for 3-4 months. They built a special set for her. Unfortunately she didn't get to have a scene in their pub, as she had wanted. I hope she might return at some point but she said she hopes to do Eastenders.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Re: Shelly in TBH

YES! I especially like her Mashed Potato.

And Steph in the black Lambo into her mini-recorder, "He pulled off her Halston gown..."

Do you remember a cartoon called Beverly Hills Teens?

Edited by SFK

• Members

Have any of you ever seen the short-lived Richard Benjamin sci-fi spoof/sitcom, Quark? Joan Van Ark was in two-episodes as "Princess Libido", who falls in love with a plant (it's a plant in a humanoid body -- he can't love or show any emotion, but this just drives her even more to love him). She's very funny, especially when they "pollinate" -- they each lay on the ground, legs and arms in the air, making stupid sounds. I think one of her episodes is on Youtube.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Ha, I had read about that but I'd never seen it. Just checked some of it out on YouTube, looks like fun retro stuff.

Soap, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and Fresno have been mentioned in this thread, I used to watch a soap spoof sitcom called The Powers That Be starring John Forsythe, Holland Taylor and David Hyde Pierce among others. Some clips I just found on YouTube:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There was another one from Susan Harris (Soap, Benson, The Golden Girls, et al) called Good & Evil starring Teri Garr. Some other familiar faces included Lane Davies, Seth Green, Brooke Theiss (Just The Ten of Us! haha) and Marian Seldes. Totally missed this one, didn't even know that it existed until a few months ago.

Stiller & Meara promo and opening credits:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkdPEybbSQ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkdPEybbSQ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkdPEybbSQ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 1 of the pilot:

The one that I've really wanted to see is Filthy Rich from Designing Women creator Linda Bloodworth-Thomason. It starred Delta Burke and Dixie Carter pre-DW and from my mom's and other online recollections, it sounds like it was a real hoot at the height of the Dallas craze, just witty, campy fun.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHUkqCreXyQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHUkqCreXyQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHUkqCreXyQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Members

Yeah, Filthy Rich is one I really want to see as well. What a cast! Delta, Dixie, Charles Frank, Ann Wedgeworth, and Nedra Volz.

The Powers That Be was done by Norman Lear. I have (or maybe had...dont know if I taped over it) an episode of it from years ago when TVLand did a birthday marathon for Mr. Lear. They also showed the first episode of the Mary Hartman sequel, Forever Fernwood, which, looking back now, is something that will probably never, ever in a million years ever be seen again because of its sheer obscurity.

I think I once read about a mid-80s soap-within-a-soap spoof called All is Forgiven or something like that.

Edited by All My Shadows