Primetime Soaps

• Members

I'm still not done, but I enjoy Deanna so far, Jill's turning in a subtle, measured performance. However, she is at times handicapped by flat writing that makes it look like flat, not-so-great acting if you don't give her the benefit of the doubt. I'm trying not to unfairly judge her just because Deanna isn't exactly what I'd expected from a Bond girl playing a vixen on an '80s Shapiro primetime soap (i.e., Alexis clone more akin to Raquel Welch on CPW). Of course the Shapiros had high-tailed it after the pilot, and the show is more Knots in tone (tone I'm saying, not quality :P ) than Dynasty anyway, not a splashy OTT sudser at all.

I think it isn't until episode 12 when things heat up (I know right, 12!? :D ) with the

stuff.

What did you think of Vaughn vs. O'Neal?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well they were the executive producers so they continued to be involved, but I don't believe they got a writing credit beyond the pilot movie. The Dobsons among others handled story for the twenty subsequent episodes.

• Members

The Dobsons only did scripts for two or three episodes which were heavily re-written. Rita Lakin (creator of Flamingo Road, Peyton Place writer) joined as Executive Story Consultant midseason which is probably when things began to improve. When you throw in Michael Filerman (EP of Knots, Dallas and Falcon Crest) as EP, it's shocking how bad this show was all around. It's like no effort was put in at the beginning. I can just see all the promos coasting off of Dynasty.

• Members

Yeah, I've read that as a matter of fact, "From the creators of Dynasty (*jet blasts off*)..." I dig the concept of the show, but it needs a B12 shot or something. Was watching more today and just when I think it's getting cooking (like Robert Loggia slapping the [!@#$%^&*] out of Jill St. John), it simmers down and has to build back up again.

Richard and Esther talk a little about the show here:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xzwzxdt0Ug&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=1223"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xzwzxdt0Ug&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=1223"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xzwzxdt0Ug&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=1223" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Earlier in the interview, they talk about how they were going to do Hotel before Hotel. There was a dispute because Aaron was doing the Arthur Hailey TV movie and their show idea was seen as a conflict. The Shapiros' Hotel was going to be a "young, hot" Dynasty spinoff set in Miami starring Fallon and Jeff. The Colbys came about two years later as sort of a settlemant of that earlier dispute. When Esther talks about The Colbys, she keeps calling Stephanie Beacham Stephanie Dunnam who of course is in Emerald Point N.A.S.

Edited by SFK

• Members

For years I guess I kind of assumed that Dynasty was their one hit wonder, but yeah, I've seen a couple of their other projects. Richard is the real writer, he did that East of Eden mini with Jane Seymour that my mom loved, and I was surprised to see their names pop up as producers when we rented this quirky little indie flick The Motel. I watched the pilot movie for The Colony back in the day but then I remember it going on a loooooong hiatus and I'm not sure if it ever even came back for more episodes to tell you the truth. If so, I didn't catch them. I guess that's what Esther's referring to when she says they did The O.C. first (and besides it being Malibu and not Orange County, I really don't recall the similarities).

• Members

I always tend to agree with Schemering--that Dynasty didn't really take off till the Pollocks took over in season 2 as main story editors and turned the show into almost a high speed satire of daytime soaps, but listening to their interview they've done a lot of well regarded stuff--and have very thoughtful things to say. I love hearing them talk about writing for daytime and Love of Life and what they gained form it, and I had heard of the very famous and well regarded tv movie The Minstral Show before but didn't know it was their concept and creation--same with the famous Sally Struthers spousal abuse tv movie Intimate Strangers.

It's funny, I've read some reviews of that TV East of Eden and it was hated by critics--who saw it as a Dallas take on the Steiknbeck novel. Yet the Shapiros say it won a bunch of Writers Guild Awards etc (though they mention they were disappointed on how the script was produced on screen).

Had never even heard of The Colony again...

Isn't it funny how they say they created Dynasty, wanting to put on tv everything you weren't meant to see on Dynasty. Aside for their use of "older women" as they say--much of it like the wealthy, opulence, etc, seem like TV cliches now...

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Right, and daytime (shoot, even primetime) had done glitz before. Look at fortysomething rich neurotic bitch Iris Carrington. She was Lemay's creation but McKinsey said in interviews that TPTB championed the character because the women at home wanted to see the clothes and whatnot.

It's also interesting how Esther (notice she does most of the talking :P ) talks about the fantasy element when in the beginning she seemed to be going for a more serious show. She often references I, Claudius, she wanted a modern American version of that.

Edited by SFK

• Members

Not to speak ill of the dead, but I've read/heard/SEEN more than one account of him being an !@#$%^&*]. He wanted Blake to be less of a one dimensional villain (John Forsyth's Blake had some nasty lines, but the guy always seemed like such a teddy bear to me). Also, Peppard was driving everyone on set up the wall. Forsyth had less of an "artistic issue" playing Blake's villainy, and the whole situation was not unlike the deal with Larry Hagman and the original choice for J.R., Robert Foxworth.

• Members

The Shapiro's were such arrogant hacks who ruined their reputation and future career by their behavior at Dynasty. Still, I find that first season absolutely breathtaking. It's so well written, almost cinematic IMO. After that all the edge was lost. Especially with Blake Carrington. I loved that he was a racist, sexist bastard yet he wasn't portrayed as a bad man. Really, everyone, even the heroine Krystal, had tons of baggage. I thought the show was ahead of it's time and really stands up with the best of TV. I'd say The Sopranos and modern shows included.

But boy did they do a number as time went on! Make Jill Farren Phelps and Brian Frons look like saints! :lol:

He's a hater to, but they were stuck with him. He demanded they clean Blake up, which is why he became such a saint. Also made him a total bore. David Paulsen finally gave Blake some edge back in the final season, but he didn't like it from the interviews I read.

Edited by Chris B

• Members

What all did they do? I saw that tv movie but really didn't know Dynasty at the time and didn't pay much attention. They seem like such nice, smart people in this interview. ;)

SFK about her happily changing form I Claudius to fantasy--I guess she realized what works, and the ratings just simply weren't there before Collins and the Pollocks came in.

Chgris having recently watched, and enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 back to back (and about to order Season 3 actually), I'd agree. I had always heard, and parotted back that Dynasty Season 1 was dull, bla bla, but actually I think it's really good at the social stuff, and in general--some very strong stuff and in its way IMHO better than early Dallas (but I've yet to really fall for Dallas, so...)