Primetime Soaps

• Members

I'm starting to think (OK not starting to...) that the Shapiro's weren't the best. I know they worked on some daytime soap (one that shortly after, ironically the Pollocks came in to write, much like Dynasty). Season 1 of Dynasty isn't as bad as some say--there's some quality stuff there but it's fairly routine until the Pollocks amped up season 2--and 3 I guess).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Really? I was just going by Amazon reviewers, etc but nearly everyone seems to say Dynasty was not worth much till Alexis (and the Pollocks) came on--ratings would agree too (but what do ratings say). Season 1 was very Dallas though (in fact, I prefer it to early Dallas myself, but I'm still kinda iffy about Dallas--I should just buy some of the DVDs and get into it).

• Members

While looking at an auction of someone selling bootlegs of some of those 80s soaps, I saw he had a complete set of one called "Fresno". Looking it up, it was a 1986 Emmy nominated parody show of the primetime soaps (set on a raisin farm). Probably not all that amusing, but has anyone heard of it/seen it? (The problem with parodying soaps, particularly TT primetime ones is they're so ridiculous anyway--there's only so much you can do without just becoming silly and slapstick (like that awful Young Doctors in Love movie, though I do love Soapdish of course).

(I'm also a big fan of Soap and Mary Hartman Mary Hartman but both those, particularly Mary Hartman, used the parody format to parody more than just soap operas--consumerism, American culture in general, etc)

*edit*

DOH! It was a miniseries. And Carol Burnett was the star! :o Now I need to see it!

"Fresno is a 1986 television miniseries which parodied popular prime time soap operas of the day such as Falcon Crest, Dallas and Dynasty.

Set in Fresno, California, the storyline featured a family matriarch (played by Carol Burnett) and her battles with an evil raisin magnate (Dabney Coleman). Unlike the skits in the Carol Burnett Show (e.g., "As the Stomach Turns"), the comedy was based more on the plot, rather than on one liners or slapstick, such as the revelation that Charlotte's son Cane was actually her rival Tyler's son, and not her husband's."

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Nope, never heard of it. Yeah--I'm tempted to get the DVD now... I worship Burnett (and oddly she can get awya, with me, with humour that without her I'd often find too cornball).

Mary Hartman is brilliant--we had it rerun here in Canada when I was 16 or so (when Canadian Bravo premiered it had a time slot "TV too good for TV" which aired it, Twin Peaks, and others--that's how I saw Soap too), and we got nealry through the entire run as well as the spin off Fernwood 2Night--it's too bad no more DVDs are set to be released, though I understand why.

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Fresno was a ratings disaster,and this was at a time when mini series were pretty much surefire ratings grabbers.Of course,being a satire,viewers probably didn't know how to handle it.

There is so much good stuff in this thread,I'm finding it hard to keep up!

re Emerald Point-was Jill St John brought on mid season to spice things up(in an Alexis type move?)

Another show to add to the mix

From Here to Eternity on NBC.They had great success with the mini series starring William Devane and Natalie Wood that this series was commissioned.Barbara Hershey took on Wood's role and I remember reading that Devane became one of the highest paid TV stars by agreeing to do it.Roy Thinnes,Don Johnson,Kim Basinger and Claire Malis(ex Dorian OLTL)were part of the cast.

The show was a ratings flop,beaten by Vegas on ABC and a movie on CBS.

• Members

Yes,FHTE was subtitled 'The War Years'

It took place in Honolulu during 1942,with the city under martial law following the Japanese attack.

Sgt Warden was still having the affair with Karen,but now had to deal with Robert Prewitt's brother Jefferson(Don Johnson)The AWOL Robert had been killed while trying to return to base under Warden's advice.Jefferson became involved with Lorene,the prostitute who had been Robert's girlfriend,and eventually married her.Warden(Devane)and Holmes(Thinnes)had a showdown over Holmes treatment of Karen,after which Holmes suffered a heart attack.Karen then left Honolulu to spend the duration of the war on US mainland.

Re the movie-apparently Joan Crawford was set for the Deborah Kerr role but backed out at the last minute.

• Members

How can you say that!!!??? REPENT! Or I shall call the Soap Police. Season 1 is probably the best first season out of all the Big Four. Yes, I believe it even surpases KNOTS LANDING. Season 2 was great, but the brilliance of Season 1... wow... there is this bitter humor and social commentary that Season 1 does.... just fantastic. And greatly plotted, fantastic dialogue, great performances :wub::wub: :wub: REPENT!

• Members

LOL I never thought of that as a reason not to like it... I guess because I didn't feel that anything was dropped, just evolved. Walter, Matthew and Lindsay I liked, but it was OK that they were gone. But that's not any more or any less than any other show's exiting characters between seasons. Unless you're talking about something else I haven't thought of?