Y&R: Who Should Replace LML, When The Time Comes?

• Members

Soaps like Y&R and ATWT don't lose viewers as dramatically for no reason. The show saw some huge increased up until February and since has been in the toilet. Since then the viewers have also been revolting so thats obviously the reason.

I truly believe she's 100% here to stay and barring the occasional stunt, Latham has proven she can't keep the viewers in. Y&R was #1 for all these years based on consistancy. The show on air now is NOT Y&R.

Before it's too late they need to do something, but you know they won't. ATWT went from a 2.7 to a 2.0 and not even the hint of changes. Even ABC got their act together.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jun 16 2007, 10:19 PM)
Soaps like Y&R and ATWT don't lose viewers as dramatically for no reason. The show saw some huge increased up until February and since has been in the toilet. Since then the viewers have also been revolting so thats obviously the reason.

I truly believe she's 100% here to stay and barring the occasional stunt, Latham has proven she can't keep the viewers in. Y&R was #1 for all these years based on consistancy. The show on air now is NOT Y&R.

Before it's too late they need to do something, but you know they won't. ATWT went from a 2.7 to a 2.0 and not even the hint of changes. Even ABC got their act together.

I totally agree. Y&R and ATWT just don't drop for a reason. They has a strong beggining of the year but all the sunden they start to go down.

Y&R need to get their act together before its too late.

• Members

Are you KIDDING me? I mean, REALLY kidding me?! We are talking about the same people, right?

They literally mucked up their own murder mystery by making Julie Devlin(someone who was seen AT the Nurses Ball in camerashots around the same time Jake Marshak was murdered via noose) the killer. They had Lucy and Scott have UNPROTECTED SEX in the Florida Everglades. Yeah, Lucy Coe, the champion for the AIDS/HIV cause having unprotected sex! Let's not forget the Race Car Beds Lovemaking between the boring, lustless Kevin/Eve pairing. DL56 was slightly intriguing and at the same time, utter CRAP!

In my HONEST, humble opinion, PC at its absolute best was when Karen Harris took over in March 2000. She introduced character driven stories at breakneck speed, but played out most of the beats just right(with the exception of Rachel Locke trying to take Alan's job as Chief of Staff with the help of the Pharmecutical Guy and other things).

Please, let's not get it twisted. Latham/Hamner's first two months may have gotten PC out of the BLAH stage it was in, but it was downright ignorant storytelling.

I'd even go as far as to say I would take the arcs ANYDAY over Latham/Hamner's PC and especially Hamner solo. Those were half-hours of television better spent elsewhere.

And Y&R's writing is not competent. Get back to me when Latham remembers simple details like Phylis didn't raise Daniel.

• Members

Word bellcurve!

I never watched Port Charles really so I cannot comment on Latham/Hamner's work there..... but I can just imagine how it was based on what she has done to the best soap in the industry in terms of production, writing and acting for many years. And its been less than a year since the Alden/Smith influence was snuffed out. With them there it still had the Y&R feel. Its just gone now.

God we are wishing for Latham's dismissal, but does that mean Scott Hamner would be the next HW?

Egads!

• Members

Lorraine Broderick is a good writer. I remember being so happy when she wrote for DAYS in 1999, but then she was let go and replaced with Langan. I have seen several interviews with her and she seems like a wise writer who knows what she is doing. I agree that she would probably be a good fit for Y&R.

• Members

Lorraine is a fantastic writer who could've made Days greatness, had those idiots Langan and Corday not interfered and screwed with her work. She left Days only after a month on the job, because of Langan and Corday's interference. She wanted to write character-driven stories and phase the teens in slowly, but Langan wanted outlandish plot-driven stories and immediate teen stories. Needless to say, Langan's interpretation of the show was all wrong and hurt the show for MANY years to come.

• Members

I remember all about that. Both Sally Sussman Morina and Lorraine Broderick complained about constant interference from Langan and Corday. They both left DAYS beceause of this. If Lorraine Broderick had written DAYS instead of Langan, then it would have stayed in the top.

Y&R have always had compelling character driven stories as its strong card in the past. Thats why Lorraine Broderick would most likely make an excellent Headwriter for Y&R.

• Members

Lorraine Broderick is the type of writer Y&R or this industry needs. I think her paired with a long time Y&R writer (whereever Latham sent them) would be a great fit for Y&R!

Lorraine's AMC with Agnes Nixon's consultation was quite possibly some of the most compelling soap ever, at least of any soap I've seen.

• Members

The ratings sucked before LML got there. The all time low which is a 3.9 was first obtained under Smith and Alden and during their last year they stayed in the 3.9 to 4.3 range going up and down which is where LML is back to now. She managed to get the ratings up for a while but they have dropped back down but I wouldn't say she is in danger of being fired because all the other soaps are way down from what they were two years ago but Y&R is not.

• Members

Lorraine Broderick's track record has been spotty since she left AMC, though. Her most success came when she worked with Agnes Nixon, but when she's not working with her? Not that good. I know she was part of the GL team from the early 90s, but that was a colloboration.

But sorry, I'm having a really hard time seeing how Broderick would be a good fit for Y&R. Broderick's best material she has ever written was really damned good (and it was at AMC), but it's not Bell-esque. When following the story of Kay Alden and her involvement with AMC, I kept reading things like how Agnes and Bill Bell were so similar in their writing styles. Really? Now, I think both were terrific writers, and the best daytime has ever had, but Agnes and Bill's styles were very different. Watch any AMC and Y&R episode from the 70s, 80s, and 90s and see the difference. Great storytelling, but not similar. At all, IMO.

(I even saw a suggestion that Claire Labine should take over Y&R. She is fabulous, but her style and the Bell style are even more different...)

All MO, of course.

Archived