Y&R: Who Should Replace LML, When The Time Comes?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know Sylph, I'm insulted, but not angry.

The scenario with Kay Alden and ABC happens about 20 times each year to 20 different sets of writers.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that great writers submit "quality" story bibles/outlines and then

the network hands over a list of "suggestions" for that bible and then the writer says, "sorry, no thanks".

Harding Lemay has said so numerous times before there was a Burton Armus.

That has been going on in daytime soaps since forever, it has nothing to do with any conspiracy theories,

it's just the world of soaps.

I have to add that it amazes me that people actually believe ABC passed over Kay Alden for Brown/Esentsen.

They wanted Alden, but god bless her, she has "standards" and wouldn't trash her bible for big bucks.

She had already been HW the show (AMC) for weeks and weeks, but she would not put her name on the credits

until a workable agreement was in place. She wanted control.

Hence the major surprise of Brown/Esentsen being chosen over her.

I'm sure a few other folks figured as much.

• Members

#1--Are you speaking to me?

#2--Are you saying that what I've said about Kay Alden's bible isn't true?

She did an interview talking about the bible she wrote and her desire to

write AMC, you didn't catch the interview?

#3--I do not work for Burton Armus or anybody else, so I don't get what you

are driving at, but here's a collective "whatever"

Yall is scandalous, I'll tell you that much.

• Members

I still don't get all the hate. I'm enjoying Y&R. I'm not finding reason to complain as I do about all the other shows. Believe me I wouldn't be shy about complaining if I thought it wasn't working.

GH is still a disaster zone & I can't sit through anything on ABC. Days is better than it was but still in need of fixing. Especially the Stephanie problem. Passions is a mess. ATWT isn't as bad as people keep complaining about it to the point I think much of the complaining is coming from fanbase agenda but I don't find it perfect- far from it, and GL isn't what it should be.

B&B is all over the place, sometimes good, sometimes not so, and I think they need a new or different Phoebe.

But Y&R is keeping my solid attention. I have little or nothing to complain about other than the Sheila fiasco needs to be fixed. I have no problem with the writing. I do have problems with the writing on other shows.

• Members

Good for you.

Although the more and more anemic Y&R discussion here at this board speak volumes. I'M still having a hard time because of this enormous emotional affection I've grown with the show and its character over time but for the most part I don't care anymore.

This drivel is pure sh*t and I don't think there is saving anywhere. Even the reality crap they "parody"/mimic has more depth...

• Members

ITA! There is no saving grace on this show currently. Even the powerhouse performances by the actors that this show was especially known for, are non existent. The actors the majority of the time look bored and unchallenged.

When the writing has no depth to it what so ever, its kind of hard to get into the acting wouldn't you say?

• Members

Do you guys suspect with the news of Steve Kent being in charge of the production for both Y&R and Days, change will come our way?

Think about it, this guy is technically Latham's new boss, and with the ratings slipping, as well as the overall quality of the show, there's no way he's going to want her around for much longer.

Or this might just be wishful thinking on my part. :(

• Administrator

Kent's already been working with Latham for a while now. He was one of the people who decided take away Y&R's trademark camera movements. <_<

Chris B posted these comments from Latham in December.

• Members

"Think about it, this guy is technically Latham's new boss"

That might be true but that isn't the way I would understand things. I think he would be more of a consultant sticking his head in. Or better a concerned share-holder having a strong interest in what's going on.

My understanding is that Sony owns part of Y&R & Days, and Corday owns a large part of Days and a small part of Y&R, and that the Bells own a large part of Y&R.

I think that Days is produced by Corday Productions and Sony distributes and promotes it (and makes money off it.) And that the Bells produce Y&R and Sony does the same, distribution, promotion & money-making.

Now Sony might be sticking their noses in but I don't think in the same way as if they were actually producing the show instead of the Bells.

However my understanding of the situation may be off. It may also be that CBS has more or less taken over the production of Y&R for the Bells & Sony.

However since I don't see problems with Y&R's content & quality it's quite possible CBS, Sony & Bell people may have the same view as I do. They may not see the situation the same sour way some posters here do. Honestly I have no idea what show the nay-sayers are watching but it's not the same Y&R I'm watching every day.

Archived