Y&R: Who Should Replace LML, When The Time Comes?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Claire Labine did a good job of adapting her style when she joined General Hospital. Also everything she was fired on Ryan's Hope they'd completely retooled the show and she ran with it. I don't think her Y&R would be exactly like old Y&R, but at least it would be good and resemble a close relative of the Y&R we know and love.

But last year I totally believe worked due to Kay Alden. Jack Smith and all the other old Y&R writers. I know nobody wants to hear this, but [s.W.S.N.B.N.] as well. We all know she was there and what she wrote was great. She added depth to the Winters family and allowed everyone to shine.

Now all of these people are gone and Latham's hacks just aren't cutting it. She can't even keep up with her own history. Thats just plain awful, IMO.

• Members

Let's start with the number of scenes and acts. When she was writing for General Hospital, the series had 16–18 scenes, sometimes 18–20. At the same time, The Young and the Restless had somewhere in the twenties, and was going for 25 scenes. This is, of course, a general picture - some episodes had fewer, some more. It depends on a particular story etc. Bill wrote eight acts in an hour, Claire did 6. That's just what's on the surface.

I know Claire is adaptable, after all she had a major on playwriting from Columbia University’s School of Dramatic Arts.

Why did [s.W.S.N.B.N.] leave anyway? Does anyone know?

• Members

This why I don't think that LML is going anywhere. She has been able to stop Y&R's ratings free fall. She hasn't been able to replicate her success from February 2007, but as long as the ratings stay around 4.0 the network will be pleased considering how the other soaps are losing points on a weekly basis.

• Members

I don't think that LML should go. I think that she has good ideas that are better than Alden and Smith's crap. The problem is that LML's execution is poor and that her love for characters like Brad, the Fisher/Baldwins and Amber have made the show unbalanced. CBS has to hire a consultant to help her flesh out stories by giving them balance and eliminating the shortcuts.

• Members

Again I like LML too. I really enjoy Y&R. Its not perfect but its keeps me coming back everyday. The only gripe I have her about her is, VR,ED,DS,AL.

Victor saw that his cheating wife was kissing on another man, via internet. Now Victor is going to blow up at Chow and Nikki. When Chow first came on the show, I had this feeling one day these two men would come to blows and man was I right and I can't wait. This is why I love LML. I like LML better than Sheffer. I have more negative things to say about Sheffer than I do with LML. And yes I am comparing, these are my staple soaps.

• Members

Other than the late Doug Marland, I think soap headwriters need help. At times over the years. I thought the late Bill Bell needed help with the snail pacing and convoluted storylines on Y&R. Having someone consulting with no ego invested or immersed in the show can only be a good thing.

• Members

Bill Bell needed help but Marland didn't?

Marland was as bad if not worse a writer than Bell (though they were both brilliant).

But Rudolph is right.

If a HW is good, no help is needed. Their work would stand on its own merit(s).

Archived