Y&R: Who Should Replace LML, When The Time Comes?

• Members

No, having people on the writing teams that actually understand and respect soaps would help stories have a higher quality. Cutting a show down to a half-hour isn't gonna make a damn bit of difference "">>>

This part is true but the shows still need to be cut down to 1/2 hour. There's too much time to fill so therefore way too much stuffing for all the hour shows. It's been a problem ever since it happened years ago. It's the reason Agnes & Bill Bell resisted and Claire Labine still complains about the problem. A problem is a problem even if other issues are involved.

Change is going to come. But the doomsday scenario will also come- falling dice of soaps being cancelled.

I don't agree that these particular writers are hacks however there are definitely some hacks currently writing some soaps. I will refrain from naming them.

I don't think it's a miracle cure to hire some specific fix of writer- young people, or writers from prime time, or book writers, or whatever. What's needed is people who can actually write and have really good ideas. I like Lynn's stories. I see some people don't. I've seen some horrendous messed up soaps after some prime time writers were hired (ATWT in particular years ago.) Gloria Monty tried to fix GH years ago but so many people complained about what she did the network never gave her a chance to get the new vision in gear. The show has been a disaster ever since, pretty much.

I don't think the shows need to "copy" styles from other countries. I said they need to grow up like the British soaps. If you watched the British soaps you'd know what I mean.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All I know is that the ratings were falling before LML came and and they haven't fallen anymore..in fact she raised them a few times so she isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And this claim about ex ABC veiwers is just an opinion with no basis to back it up. I'm sure there are people who jump from soap to soap...that has always been the case even before LML took over. I doubt that millions of people came over to Y&R because their favorite actors/or actresses came over...if that's the case all of the CBS soaps would have maintained their viewership as all of them over the past years have gotten actors from other soaps. I highly doubt David Chow ,Karen, or Jacks's campaign manager is the reason the ratings are up and if their fans followed them over to Y&R, I'm sure they have tuned out by now since for the most part they are nothing more than supporting characters.

Secondly, LML isn't perfect but I haven't seen a wirter who is..there is alwasy going to be something wrong with any show that I watch that I think could have been done better.

Thirdly, I don't think Ann should or anyone else should be criticized for still liking the show. If you don't like it then that's fine but don't say she must work the network just because she's enjoying the show and you're not.

Lastly, I do think that someone esle should be brought in has Executive Procucer because I don't think one person should have so much control...when LML was just headwriter the show was better but now it's not as good as it was when she first became headwriter.

• Members

Unfortunately, Lynn Marie Latham is probably not going anywhere.

CBS have decided to take after the ABC/NBC style, most likely in order to attract the viewers who disappear from NBC when DAYS is cancelled in 2009.

CBS needed someone who could make Y&R more appealing to ABC/NBC viewers, and by doing so they think they can have a chance of dominating Daytime completely from 2009 and defeat ABC completely.

They found Lynn Marie Latham to pe perfect for this task, so she is probably sitting safe, even if the ratings for Y&R start declining again.

• Members

What I meant is that since this February ended, the ratings have been declining consistantly. Thats most of the year--so far. They saw spikes for Nick and Dru's deaths, but after the stunt is over the viewers leave. It should also be noted that Dru's death got a bigger jump than Nick.

I strongly believe Dru's death is the major reason for the ratings drop. People underestimate the power of Y&R's black viewers. Why do you think they were sending tapes to New Orleans after Katrina? Why do you think Victoria Rowell's book (and book tour) has been such a success? She is a HUGE character with black viewers. With her gone, we didn't even get to see Neil (or Devon grieve) and the writing in general has been crap for them.

Another reason for the ratings drop is that Feb wrapped up the Reliquary and Carmen/Dru stories. The new stories Latham has launched have been poorly recieved on various message boards, so I'm sure that speaks for the home viewers as well. This is the first year Latham and her team have been able to completely control the show. Thats why the writing is so inconsistant day-to-day, pacing is terrible, there is no dramatic impact, character development, etc.

Viewers don't leave for no reason, especially when you consider how high they were getting. Once Bill Bell's team left along with the rumored ghost writer, it's exposed all of Latham's flaws. Had she maintained an integrated writing staff Y&R could still be pretty decent.

• Members

Seriously, this does make sense. NBC is leaving the Soap business completely in 2009. Then we have ABC and CBS left. The Network Executives over at CBS have of course discussed this future situation, and I think that their strategy is to try to lure over the NBC/ABC viewers to CBS and then dominate Daytime.

That is why they made Lynn Marie Latham headwriter in the first place. She runs their errands and she is changing Y&R in order to attract the viewers who leave NBC in 2009.

• Members

^Y&R never needed the NBC/ABC crowd to begin with. It was already the #1 soap and ahead of it's nearest competitors by over two million viewers. Also, CBS is already the #1 network when it comes to the daytime arena, thanks mainly to TPIR, Y&R, and B&B. Also, if written properly and showcasing its veteran cast, ATWT can and has shown that it can rival GH for that #3 spot.

Also, if you look at Days fans in general, the non-NBC soaps that they're most likely to watch is either Y&R or GH anyway.

• Members

This does NOT surprise me. Even though I am one who believes story is principle over politics, there are lots of black people who watch Y&R for Dru. I don't see a lot of those viewers(who liked Victoria Rowell or liked having A-A characters on the show) sticking around, especially once it sets in that Dru ain't coming back.

• Members

Well as a black person who comes from a family who grew up on Y&R, most of us still watch the show and those that don't stopped watching years ago. It had nothing to do with Dru leaving. My friend Beverly and her sisters still watch the show blacks...in fact outside of this message board, all of the black people that I know who were watching it before Dru left are still watching. It's a common misconception that most people watch the show for one set of characters or character when the percentage of those who watch for one character is so small that it wouldn't have a significant impact on ratings especially not now. And from the looks of it it seems that a lot of people on this board still watch it even after being so critical of it which is what I don't get. When something doesn't entertain me I tune out. I have tuned out on Y&R before (and not because Dru left the first time or when Malcolm left) but because the show was boring to me. I use television as a form of entertainment and not torture so if and when Y&R becomes unwatchable to me then I'll stop and you wont' see me posting about the show criticizing it either because I will have no reason to criticize something I'm not watching.

• Members

Trivia time (off-topic a bit):

Did you know that Eleanor Labine graduated from Yale University? Her husband Thomas Mancusi is vice president of V.T. Mancusi Inc., a stockbrokerage in Lawrence, L.I., of which his father is president.

• Members

A small number of fans are complaining on the Internet does not represent the Y&R fans as a whole. Right now despite all the bellyaching about Y&R being down the tubes, the ratings have been consistent for the last 3 weeks. The only way that network does anything is if the ratings decline to unacceptable levels and they aren't there yet.

• Members

I feel that when the ratings dropped from a 4.5 or 4.6 to a 4.0, it maybe bigger than just a small group of internet fans. Amd also, if it wasn't for a particular day of the week, whatever it is, Y&R would have dropped under a 4.0. 2 weeks ago it was Wed., then last week I think it was Monday. And, if the show is doing so well well, why is it that on Friday, Cliffhanger day, that they get their lowest rating?

This woman has just about ruined this show, IMO. I see what you are saying, I just look at it differently. Y&R is crashing and burning, and now, the few times I do tune in, it's just to see what hackneed plot point she is pushing for that day. Not that week, that day. Because her stories literally change from day to day, if they are focused on at all. :)

Archived