AMC: The Diversity (or Lack Thereof) Question

• Members

AMC seems to righting some of the wrongs inflicted on the show during McTavish's time, but there's one major wrong that will need to be addressed: the show's appalling lack of diversity. This is a problem that faces all of daytime in these budget-tightening times, as mere survival is the greatest driving force behind all decisions. Writers are falling back on the safety of what they know - the white, the secular, the upscale. (Add ageism to the mix and daytime has a sickening sameyness to it.) Y&R, OLTL, and Passions are the only shows that seem to value racial, religious, and cultural diversity at the moment. Don't these writers watch LOST, HEROES, 24, the CSI shows, etc.? Soaps seem to be busting their butts to imitate everything about glossy primetime, except for the diversity.

It was Agnes Nixon's mission on AMC to show life in all of its colors, but the show currently is as lily-white and nondescript as I've ever seen it. I hope that whomever becomes HW in McTavish's wake will take a good long look at the canvas and develop ways to truly make the show reflect American society.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If we're talking about racial diversity only - then I totally agree. This is the first time in forever that AMC's opening doesn't feature an African American character.

But we do have a lesbian and transgendered character in full storyline....so diversity in that regards, no.

Lately, I have seen a few improvements - Derek and Tad had scenes spanning 2 days of the two of them just bonding over drinks. Derek talked about Terrence and the time the Neo-Nazis beat him up in a hate crime. We also got flashbacks of Danielle and Derek in the hospital from Jan/Feb. I've heard rumors of maybe bringing back Danielle. I'm interested in seeing what the new writers have in store once they finish up McT's storylines that are finishing their run right now.

• Members

I agree with you 100%. Theres not really any African-American actors. But agian theres a gay and transgender character. I also hope that the new head writers will see that they need to add some African American actors and actresses.

• Members

REG on OLTL was really the only african american actor on ABC always embroiled in front burner storylines and now she has left the show. ABC really has no diversity when it comes to african american actors which is a shame.

• Members

True.

This is the only time I will defend Passions, but outside of them and Y&R, the entire soap community is white washed and I'm not just talking about African American American representation. Where are the asians, spanish, etc? It's all so vanilla; sometimes, rocky road is nice. Just a thought.

Someone may respond that Ephiphany, Stan and Lainey are black characters that are General Hospital, but I feel that they have written to only be equip for filling a quota and filler.

• Members

CBS is really not much better. For all the wonderful diversity Y&R has had over the years - a credit to Bill Bell, Sr. - B&B's attempts at diversity have been pretty laughable. ATWT and GL once had thriving black and Latino families but have all but wiped them out over the past five or so years. Remember the wonderful Grant and Speakes families on GL? The Santoses, the black Spauldings? Ben, Isaac, Curtis, Jessica, Denise, Bonnie, Marshall, Camille, Sara Ruth, Lien, etc. on ATWT?

I rag on AMC the most because it was such a pioneer in diversity. I expect much more from the show.

• Members

Co-sign.

And I don't know enough about GH to comment, but it's so silly on AMC when they have loads of interesting long-time other-than-caucasian families to draw on (including a Tony-winner {or nominated, memory fails me}, in Tonya Pinkins who's hovered around the edges when she, Dani and Derek should be up to their eyeballs in story and a Santos family allowed to wither away to but 1).

Fronsie is The -Ist in Chief, no doubt. But McTavish certainly made her unique contributions.

• Members

I definitely agree about AMC's lack of other ethnic backgrounds.

The easiest way to fix it would be to bring characters like Livia, Derek, and Danielle back into major storylines and such, and to bring in more characters tied to them, and I think that'd be a good way to do it, but I'd be interested to see if they could not only put in those characters, but also bring in characters tied to the show's black characters of the 70s and 80s. They tried to bring back Jesse and Angie's son (thus being Frank Grant's great-nephew) Frank a couple of years ago, but he didn't last long. That was long ago enough, though, and so insignificant to much of anything, that they can bring him back again now and start all over again. It'd be ideal to have Debbi Morgan return as Angie, but I really don't see that happening.

Oh, and I also wanted to say that, yes diversity needs to return to AMC, definitely, but for God's sake do not revitalize the Santos family. Besides Julia and Mateo, I can pretty much do without any of the others. Maria was only fun when she was being bitchy with Erica and/or Kendall, and Anita...well, enough said there. Rosa was way annoying and Mama Santos? That bitch never ever needs to return. Never. Ever.

• Members

Did'nt Frons once make a comment about minorities being a block to some viewers enjoyment? I am sure he did, around the same time he said KB on OLTL was unattractive. How that man has kept his job with his insulting comments towards all types of viewers just blows my mind. If I have time later I'll try and find that quote. I am sure its out there somewhere on the net.

• Members

It's pitiful shame...I marvel at the fact that it's 2007 and 20 years ago, you had more diversity than you have now. At this point, I'm not even mad anymore...I'm disgusted. As for AMC...my avatar tells me how I feel about THAT show...couldn't write a love story for two black teens, but managed to write one for Lily and Jonathan.

But I will watch GH: Night Shift...apparently they have decided that's the vehicle to show all of their black characters.

Oh and for the record: In my book...parading black characters out just to show that you HAVE them, is just as insulting as not having them at all. If you can't give them any depth, you're just wasting their time and mine.

• Members

Wow. If he said that I'm shocked. I'm not watching soaps so that I can watch people who are exactly like me. That's not exactly fun and interesting, anymore than it would be fun to watch a show where I couldn't identify with anyone. Call me crazy, but I think more people would enjoy it if we had diversity so that we could have people we identify with and people who are different. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Archived