Dirty Sexy Money: Discussion Thread

• Members

This is the one show I'm most anxious to see. I know production on it was recently shut while they retool some elements which often is bad news--but then look at Brothers and Sisters which (after a slightly shakey start and lotsa bad word of mouth) turned into my must see show. On the other hand reviews for DSM have already been pretty good--it's on most cirtics list of shows to watch...

It does remind me of B&S upped to a MUCH soapier, grandiose level but I don't see it as a copy as some here do--the tone already looks drastically different.

The main reason I'm going for it though, besides that killer cast, is Craig Wright who's the creator and show runner/head writer. Much like B&S (and HBO and Six Feet Under) it's interesting that a new relationship based soap is being written by a well known, gay (and fairly political) playwright. Craig Wright wrote one of my fave plays, The Pavillion which was even nomianted for the Pulitzer (!) for drama. He knows what he's doing--he also wrote I think some of the best episodes of Six Feet Under's last years as well as many of Brothers and Sister's best eps last year (In fact I'm a bit disappointed that he'll be leaving B&S). The man is a brilliant writer and I think he'll give this show many layers--from some camp down to more "Deeper" stuff.

Also--William Baldwin is having an affair with the famous transexual Candis Cayne. She actually ahs a contract role--is this the first time network tv has given a real transexual (ie not Rebbeca Stamos) a major role?

E

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This show is nothing like B&S, all the kids are borderline nuts and should be in therapy. :lol: An the funny part is the parents seem so normal, so where do the kids get that from???? Its only episode 1 so I guess the mom or dad or both could be alot more nuts in the next couple of episodes.lol

• Administrator

I loved it!! Wow that was fantastic. It's definitely the best new show this season.

Reverend Brian Darling was hilarious. I've never seen a "man of God" act like that. :lol:

Loved seeing Natalie Zea again.

Peter Krause is always good. One of my favs.

DSM is like B&S on crack.

Kudos to Greg Berlanti and Craigt Wright, you guys rock!!

• Members

This show is like the modern night time soap on speed or something. And it's insane, but I loved it. We had tranny girlfriends, bastard reverends, debauchery, and Mama Darling boinking Nick's dad for 40 years, as well as another Fanning child in the cast. What more could one ask for? :P

And is it me, or is Karen Darling [Natalie Zea's character] awfully fond of Nick?

• Members

I loved this show. It was HILARIOUS!! The brother whose a priest is great. I laughed when Peter Krause's character got all the calls from the family: Juliet's pre-nup discussion saying he deflowered me in front of her soon-to-be fourth husband; Juliet finding out her dad paid for her acting gig; Reverand Brian threatening the school headmaster; Jeremy getting arrested for bring in illegal aliens. This show is awesomely hysterical. They're all MAD and I love it and them. Will definitely continue to watch.

• Members

THe only thing I didn't get was the illegal aliens--didn'the just win the boat that morning?

I really liked it--the pilot felt likeit tried to cram a bit too much in and only had one or maybe two scenes where things slowed down--and I admit I had a hard time getting names at first, but I think this will all be fine once the episodes spread out. Definetly a very high class guilty pleasure--the only real B&S connection I have (besides so many behind the scene names of course) is that this would be a great flipside/back to back show, sorta showing the other extreme of soap operas (prime time anyway).

It's gotten good to great reviews everywhere I've seen (often to my surprise) so I hope the ratings reflect that...

E

• Members

Erica, I like your thinking. Nick's dad is NOT dead.

LOVED this show.

Brilliant casting. Great production values. Natalie Zea is KICKING BUTT! I'm so happy for her. All the Darling ringtones were brilliant and well-thought-out.

And I have NEVER seen a man of the cloth act like that! LOVED it! So scandalous!

I think Mr. Darling and Nick's dad faked his death. Don't ask me why -- truly, I have no idea -- but I have a VERY good hunch I'm 100% right. :)

Archived