DAYS: Talk about a slap in the face!

• Members

Actually, that's not true.

I know that in 2002/2003, Corday had pretty much sealed the deal for them to return... then he suddenly did a complete 180 and told Nichols that it wasn't going to happen. Nichols was pretty confused. Right about that same time, it was confirmed that JER was returning as headwriter. Coincidence? I think not.

And I know that Nichols/Evans have always said that they'd be happy to come back long-term over the years. Corday and the headwriters just kept it from happening... so you can't hold it against 'em.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who's blaming Hogan? I blame Corday primarily, but Hogan has done a piss poor job of utilizing them when they were on screen. He's could have written some good stuff but chose not to. Instead J&M have had repetitive stupid material for months.

What awesome awesome stuff are you talking about? :blink:

• Members

What mag is that info in? I never heard about that.

Long term, right. Why not come back here and there and keep the fans invested in the characters? Why not show up for funerals and weddings the way Patsy did? Because she did keep showing up and cared enough to keep her character viable, I would actually care about Kimberly if she came back. I wouldn't think Kimberly had forsaken her family and showed up after 16 years expecting me to give two sh@ts about her.

• Members

I loved Marlena's re-appearance as a 'strong woman,' no longer a victim. First and foremost, that was amazing. Marlena was back.

I loved the stuff at the cabin with the serenade. I thought it was quite romantic and the dance, the kiss... those episodes were great.

Going to Stefano's tomb, dressed and spies and whatnot... great stuff. Hot stuff. I loved them confronting a dying Stefano in his hospital room and uncovering EJ's identity. That series of episodes was great.

Loved Sami and Marlena's heart-to-heart talk about John, and Sami forgiving him for al the things she's held against him over the years. Good stuff.

And eventually, the EJ/John showdown... very dramatic, great stuff.

I loved it all!

• Members

What's wrong with wanting something longterm? They probably felt that their fans deserved more than just a guest appearance. Hell, that's the same reason that Joe Mascolo won't return at Stefano -- they want him back only for a short-term appearance, and he wants more. Yet he's being applauded for that... the same thing that people are holding against Stephen and Mary Beth?

Anyway, yes, Corday was going to bring them back in 2002/2003. They remarked about this in more than one magazine back then (don't remember the specific issues though) and Nichols was quite confused by Corday's sudden change of mind, right at the same time JER returned as HW.

• Members

OK I liked a lot of that as well, but then it was all dropped. Nothing went anywhere. Nothing consistent. I would have kept loving HS if he'd kept it up and actually produced a storyline for J&M instead of turning it all into the payla stuff. John is shot and we didn't even get to see Marlena finding out about it, then she shows up at the hospital and all they have her do is ask John "whatcha sayin' John?" and it was all about Steve. And those lame@ssed dreams, don't get me started. HS dropped the ball and I dont' see what's so great about him at all now.

• Members

In other words, you would've continued loving it if Steve/Kayla stayed on the backburner and John/Marlena stayed on the frontburner, LoL. As I mentioned in an earlier post, many 'couples' fans are unwilling to share the spotlight with anyone else -- especially a couple they feel is 'stealing their turf.' There's nothing wrong with having your favorites... I just understand how a soap works and how people on a well-written soap shift from frontburner to backburner.

I also disagree with your comment that "nothing went anywhere." Of course it went somewhere. It all lead up to the climax of the story, with EJ shooting John, which then trickled down to affect Sami and Lucas. Once the story reached its climax... they decided to put J/M on the backburner for a while and give Steve/Kayla and the younger set a chance to heat up. It happens. And the 'budget' stuff, I don't believe for a second. Drake gets paid the same (per his contract agreement) whether he's in a coma or walking around.

• Members

People? I'm only one opinion on that. Just stating how I feel about it. I'm not holding against them. I'm just saying that they shouldn't expect fans to know who they are and why I should care about them anymore ya know. Maybe I just don't buy that Kayla was so wounded by Steve's death that she couldn't make it home for all the weddings funerals and events that were important to her family. That's pretty selfish if you ask me and I'm just saying, you know what, i don't care about Kayla as a brady anymore. I always found her pretty boring and plain anyways. I can't remember a single payla storyline. They just never impacted me much, so why am I expected to buy into them now? It just ain't happening for me.

I'd have to see the quotes, thanks.

• Members

Okay, and I'll say it.

On other boards, there are Bo and Hope fans. The Bope fans respect the place of other couples on the show (S/K, J/M, etc.). Same for the Steve/Kayla, Shawn/Belle and Sami/Lucas fans.

Only in the J/M threads do I see such a sense of arrogance. They act like their couple is it. They act like their couple will save the show. They act like everybody in the world wants to see their couple. Not everyone acts this way, but some do. And it really just annoys me. It ends up making me resent the couple rather than loving them. And I notice this more with the J/M fanbase than any other.

• Members

Actually I don't have them handy. I can get them but I'm not sure it would actually accomplish anything, so I'm sot sure I'll expend the effort.

I can confirm that what Kenny says is true. When Stephen announced they were finally coming back for real last spring he even mentioned it again, that they had come so close so many times only to have the producers change their minds, that he was afraid to believe it would happen this time.

• Members

Not sure why you are putting words in my mouth that i never said. Payla can have a storyline and can even have contact with J&M and that would be great. I'm a fan of the Sheri anderson stuff from the 80s and Reilly of the 90s when there was good umbrella story happening. So don't try to pigeon hole me into what you think i am. Why can't J&M have their own story? Why is it all about payla now? Why are they writing a story for steve that is basically John's? I suppose you think i should be thrilled that John's in a coma and his body is being used as a prop in the payla story? and that marlena has now become a prop in the payla story? I'm suppose to buy it that stefano is now all about payla? stefano never mentioned steve in all the years they were gone. I find it funny that I'm suppose to buy into this story and care that steve was brainwashed by the Dimeras. Forgive me if that doesn't fit into your theory on soap viewers or whatever. I understand how soaps work too, and i know when a show is trying to replace one couple with another.

Wow that was some climax for anyone that cares about John, and or Marlena. sorry, that's not how stories are suppose to play out if they want to keep me watching. At least reilly knew, in the 90s, how to go from one story to another and keep the viewers interested.

Archived