AMC: MEK on Jeff Carlson's future

• Members

MEK confirmed this weekend at an event that Jeffrey Carlson will be leaving at the end of his contract and that unless the writers can come up with a reason to bring him back, he probably won't be back.

IMO the writers completely screwed this up by making Zoe a lesbian. Unless fans warm up to the idea of Bianca & Zoe, Zoe has no future on the show. This wasn't always the case on soaps but these days if you can't be part of a couple then there's no place for you.

Jeffrey Carlson is one of the few reasons I watch anymore. They really blew it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought Zoe and Bianca were popular with the audience, despite what I think of it...

...and what I think of it is IS that ABC/AMC is trying to get away with slipping a penis into their signature lesbian. It's not a hard conclusion to jump to with how much they've been avoiding doing a full-blown Bianca/Lesbian-Female romance through the past several years, and now that there's a man in the role of the Lesbian Female onwards we move with a seemingly romantic relationship. A Bianca/Zoe love story is not kosher with me unless Zoe gets the operation to become a woman...and they recast Zoe at that point with a female actor.

They should have definitely made Zarf/Zoe a "straight" transgender or at the least not seemingly planned a Bianca/Zoe romance if they had no intention of following through with "the operation."

• Members

I think they blew this storyline from the very beginning. It could have been very compelling but McTavish, like usual, did not touch on the emotions and conflict as deeply as needed. They made Zoe into a joke which is a shame because Jeffrey deserved better material. And I didn't like the idea of Bianca/Zoe. I thought it was kind of a round-about way for the show to put her with a man, but not really. I would be very surprised if they went ahead an recast Zoe as a woman.

Can the writers come up with reason for him to come back??? They couldn't even come up with a storyline for Dixie so...no.

• Members

Zoe/Zarf was just plain unlikeable. He was pushy and rude to most everyone he came in contact with. They really focred him upon the audience, gay, straight, man, woman, that's just not something you do with a new character.

• Members

I agree. At first, I was unsure but Jeff won me over but the character grates on my nerves. He/she only exists to prop up Babe. :blink: I could've also done without all the aura nonsense.

The show wanted to pair Bianca with a man without incurring backlash. They should have just made Bianca bi and been done with.

• Members

I enjoy the character, even if it is a bit over the top... I have a few friends (not male-to-female lesbians) that are very aura/soul mate-y, so I sometimes enjoyed what came out of Zarf/Zoe's mouth. Especially when the let the humor poke through.

That being said, I don't think JC is willing to whack his winkie for the show. Fans will never accept Binks with a male (even if it is a she on the inside)... There really is nowhere for the character to go.

Just a thought... Colby's a big Zarf fan. Could Colby go with?

• Members

Not shocked at this but I am disappointed. Jeffrey has brought such a presence to AMC and he truly is such an enjoyable actor to watch. I have had my issues with his story as everyone has I am sure but from a Zoe perspective it was a great story. Jeff really honed in on the character really well. Making her a lesbian though was the biggest mistake.

• Members

I don't think AMC will have a choice with Palmer. From several things that I have read Mitchell is planning on retiring. His health is not good. He will be 87 this year, and I am sure it is getting harder for him to work. You can tell esp. in the funeral scenes that he wasn't feeling well.

I don't want to lose him but can understand more if it is his decision to retire.

As to Zoe, I was sure I was going to hate him/her, but I love her. She is different and I like that. She/he is not like any other character in daytime, and I hate to lose her. Sure there are problems with the story. I like the chemistry with Bianca, but I would rather see a true gay story or at least see them get together and watch as Zoe goes through the full surgery and hormone route. As a fan I will know that JC still has a penis, but the character won't anymore. I can suspend reality to accept that.

Shoot with everything else daytime asks me to suspend my reality for - what's one more thing.

Archived