OLTL- What is going on over there?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why are they casting a new man for Viki when they have Clint there for her? Fans want Viki and Clint, so now they are going to jerk fans around again? Why? They treat Erika Slezak horribly, Viki has no story, and they even stole her love interest away breaking up the hugely popular David and Dorian while shoving Viki off to the side to put the ridiculous Dorian/Clint thing up. If Nora is getting story where is she? Do they even remembner that Viki and Nora are great friends? And why did they fire Dan as the best Kevin ever? They still don't know balance and it still isn't really OL when they can;t even give their 6 time Emmy winner a story.

• Members

OLTl is barely recovering from the failed attempt to redefine it. Since about 2002, production has been attempting to redefine it as a gritty police drama centered around John McBain -- even to the point of a two week funeral. Just remember Gabrielle Medina didn't even get a montage or a funeral service. The Todd Manning show we currently see is only production's grudging acceptance that for now that has failed, and if not perfect, still at least more palatable than what was even a year ago. It is only grudgingly that Viki and Clint are even get scenes devoted to them, Michael and Marcie get any story (they couldn't even be featured at their own wedding -- instead it was all about David being involved in papa McBain's death, then the infamous wedding crasher.). Catherine Hickland still doesn't have a contract, and it was a miracle they resigned HBS as Nora -- but there is no sign of her involvement in the upcoming promised triangle. Jessica and Natalie really have had no story about THEM so much as their pairings, and they cut what was arguably the best Kevin of the ten or so who have played the part. Due to aborted/poor planning, the Buchs have no male on canvas under 50 but Matthew.

There have been promises of return, but it is a long road back. Even the 'popular' characters like REG and Natalie are poorly defined, moved as plot points rather than developed characters. New Marty is a character in a much needed age range, but suffers from being poorly re-introduced, pushed too hard, and again, moved as plot point without real thought as to character. Due to Dena's writing, Todd is where most of the action and emotional impact is. The audience cares much more that Spencer plotted Duke's death, sterilized Kevin, framed Todd, hid TJ, and now was raping Blair than that he killed never-seen papa McBain in Atlantic City 25 years ago. With Kevin gone, Duke's death and the sterilization have lost impact. Even now, the framing is nowhere near what the punch would have been even 3 months ago. BUt these stories need to be fleshed out to more of the canvas than just Todd. Even Rex and Adrianna's involvement in TJ's story is forced.

• Members

Can I ask what's been so great about it lately in your opinion? The vets still aren't being properly featured IMO. So they're actually on once in a while now......big deal. From what I see, they're mostly used as props for other characters and their storylines. I'm not saying that it isn't better than it was, I'm saying that it's not One Life To Live.

BRAVO to your post! While I admittedly am not a huge fan of Erika or Viki, I'd be lying if I didn't say that she is indeed part of the appeal of the show. Love her or hate her (as I do), you can't have OLTL without Victoria Lord.

• Members

Zara, I LOVED your entire post, but this really stuck out:

ICAM. A big part of my problem with Evangeline is that I do not feel she is a fully fleshed out character, but that's not all the writers fault. REG does nothing for me and provides little to no nuance in her portrayal. Archer, from what I've been seeing lately, has become downright laughable. She makes Farrah Fath look like Susan Flannery.

• Members

OLTL is not the show it is capable of being, but I have enjoyed it lately. I am not in a rush to get home and watch it like I once was. Many days I still don't watch, but when I do, it doesn't put me to sleep anymore.

First, let me say I could give a flying --well use your own word -- about REG. I doubt very seriously she is the most popular actress on the show. She does get credit for having the most obnoxious fanbase. to me she is a ham.

Now on to why I've liked the show lately -- I think Paul Satterfield has done a great job as a loon. It's too bad he was overexposed and backed into a corner because he could have been a great character . I do see a story for Lindsey and Dorian. I personally think Clint and Dorian make absolutely no sense, but if it is a story for OLTL's greatest super couple -- Viki and Dorian -- then I'm for it.

I have always enjoyed Jess and Nash and always will. I look forward to them hooking up. I do think it's well past time for Antonio and Jessica to end. I have seen far less lately of John McBoring, Evangeho and screaming Natalie. Perhaps I'm just getting better with the remote. TSJ is fine as Todd. The other one isn't come back.

I like the story with Michael and Marcie and I hope this time it's about Michael and Marcie.

I've enjoyed the show more lately, but must admit I still don't trust it. In regards to the comparison to AMC -- that show just sucks. It represents everything that is wrong about daytime television now. I guess I should be happy though. With Passions biting the dust, OLTL needs AMC so it won't be in the basement.

One final note, I think every soap opera could learn from DOOL. It is doing it right.

• Members

I can agree with you that the show is depressing. I remembered watching the whole Spencer/Marty/Todd hostage situation and thinking to myself that the last time I had watched this show Spencer and Blair went off that warehouse and Blair had lost her baby! The show just seems depressing, dark, and bleak. Humor is seldom seen. Musical guest appearances don't cover up what the show is missing either.

I also agree with you about the show centering around Todd and Vangie. I would have found Vangie singing at Capricorn nice to watch for New Year, but I'd had enough of her.

OLTL isn't bad in ways, it keeps me hooked some of the time. It's just that while watching I just don't feel that interested in watching Blair suffer another miscarriage, Spencer committ another deadly act, another murder mystery, Todd go bad ass, yada, yada.

• Members

Faint praise. It is using them, but the cynic in me wonders why and for how long. Usually the ABC soaps move if not in lockstep, at least the same direction. Here, AMC has let go VI, JB, and now Cady. The big stories are the Satin Slayer and Zarf/Zoe, and the spoiler mill is saying at least one more big departure is on the way. GH has decimated the Quartermaines, and now SD has been fired. Without Alan, Monica may get less airtime than ever, and probably is next on the list. Although OLTL has no returns and significant recent losses, the stories are slow in coming and there is no guarentee of airtime for them. How much time did Nora's hyped stroke recuperation have?

I'm glad ratings are on an upswing, but there is still room for concern, Already the rapid pace looks ludicrous on paper. In 8 weeks, Blair has found out she's pregnant, fell off a roof, lost the baby, the heart infection, the coma, turned down a marriage proposal, has now been drugged and kidnapped, and almost raped. (KDP had better get a prenom!) There's only so much one can do to a character before they lose some appeal. DH has found out that the Manning well is what has worked best for her, but she may well run it dry quickly.

Archived