DAYS/PAS: Switching timeslots in Chicago!

• Members

Today during DAYS, they announced on a local-made commercial that DAYS and Passions are switching timeslots beginning next Monday, January 15th. That means DAYS moves from 1pm to 2pm, and PAS goes from 2pm to 1pm. I wonder why NBC-5 made this decision. Any other timeslot switches happening in the country?

Considering Chicago is a big ABC Daytime / DAYS crowd, I wonder how this will affect the numbers for DAYS vs. GH. Days of Our Lives will now be up against General Hospital, while Passions will have As the World Turns and One Life to Live as rivals. Since Chicago is the 3rd largest market, will this effect anything you think?

P.S. The last time Chicago's NBC made a change in timeslots was in 1999 during the week when AW ended and Passions began. At that time, DAYS was airing at 11am, SUN at noon, and AW at 1pm. When AW ended, DAYS moved to 1pm and Passions debuted at 2pm. SUN finished out its run at noon.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought it was interesting how they did the timeslot promo. Tabitha said "That's not good" and then the announcer's voice said "No, it's okay." And then later, "Really, they are still here." Almost like they were addressing cancellation concerns.

• Members

Maybe NBC is experimenting a little with the time slot in order to keep Passions. If the rumors are true about another dreadful hour of the Today show being added, then moving Passions to another time would allow them to keep the soap on the air. It would be better than them cancelling i!! So if the ratings stay the same or they do well in the new time slot, maybe that will be what saves Passions. But who will save the audience from another hour of the Today show???????? :blink:

• Members

I could be wrong but I don't think it would NBC's decision to move Passions in that market but it would be a decision by the local NBC affliate there. I'm just guessing but maybe the local NBC affliate wants to move Days to a later time so that more people in school can get home and be able to watch it.

• Members

I don't know about the rest of the country, but Chicago market has room for a fourth hour of TODAY (not that it's needed!) and PASSIONS. Right now Martha Stewarts's show is on right after third hour of TODAY, followed by a horrible (IMO) hour long show called IVILLAGE LIVE, which they just recently added because the 11:00 a.m. news show stopped. Then is MEGAN, which was recently cancelled, followed by the soaps. So they have the Megan slot which will be empty soon. And I don't know if this IVILLAGE show will make it or not; doesn't seem likely based on what I've seen so far.

• Members

This is HORRIBLE news for me. I've only just started watching DAYS again and them moving it against GH is really going to force me to make a difficult decision. Giving up OLTL for DAYS was a no-brainer, but I don't know about giving up GH...

• Members

Chicago is an NBC O&O station. This new timeslot makes "Passions" uniform to the NBC stations in the Eastern Time zone which airs "Passions" at 2pm Eastern. And the Chicago station is in the Central Time zone and the new timeslot of "Passions" is 1pm Central (2pm Eastern).

Passions is supposed to air nationally at 2pm Eastern (1pm Central) on NBC but, a lot of affiliates air it in different time slots especially in the Central time zone. My NBC affiliate airs "Passions" at 2pm Central which is one hour after it is aired nationally in the Eastern time zone and most Central time zone stations.

The L.A. affiliate which is also an NBC O&O station airs "Days" at 1pm Pacific and "Passions" at 2pm Pacific.

I don't know what this says about "Days" since "Days" is supposed to air nationally at 1pm Eastern (12pm Central).

NBC's soap schedule is so messed up. It's not uniform like ABC Daytime where the Eastern & Central time zones are in sync.

• Members

Actually a lot of NBC affiliates have room for a fourth hour of Today. It's not about that. Local stations like lots of hours for syndicated programming so they can make lots of money. Syndicated programming have lots of available ad time for local affiliates to sell to local adverisers. The last thing these affiliates want to do is give NBC another hour. Right now NBC has five hours of daytime hours. The affiliates are NOT going to give NBC six hours of daytime hours. That means that one of the soaps will be cancelled to make room for a fourth hour of the Today show.

• Members

If a fourth hour of Today is coming, I wonder why my affilate replaced Megan's show with Ellen? Here in Detroit, Megan's show aired at 10 am. But since that has been cancelled, it has moved to an overnight timeslot while Ellen has moved from 4 pm to 10 am. Greg's whatever his name is show has also been moved overnight while Extra and Inside Edition moved to 11 am and 11:30. Days and Passions still air at 1 and 2. Rachel Ray's show airs at 3pm while a half hour of local news and Inside Edition airs at 4: 30pm. Martha Stewart's show airs on the ABC affilate here at 10 am.

• Members

They don't have to cancel Passions to make room for a fourth hour of Today. At least here in Detroit they don't. All they have to do is bag the 4 o'clock newscast because that failed for another station here in Detroit and the second half hour Inside Edition. Then, they can move Ellen back to 4 o'clock.

Archived