DreamGirls!

Queen_Nubia

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lordy be. I think I might wear out my DVD of Dreamgirls before June rolls around. I first saw it in the theaters back in December with my bestfriend (yes, Kentucky folk do know how to applaud and cheer during a movie -- and after -- and after... :lol: ) and I liken it to a religious experience. This definitely ranks up there on my list of all-time favorite movies. JH definitely stole the entire movie, but I do think Beyonce was very good in the role as written and I have to give her credit. I do think she put a lot into the role (she did lose 20 pounds to get ultra thin for the 70s Deena). For those who want to criticize the Deena glamour montage, I think that was supposed to represent the Vogue photoshoot from the original stage show. Also, not too many divas would appear onscreen looking so... plain... as Beyonce did in the early portions of the film. Granted, this was needed storywise to make the transformation into glamour Deena, but I liked the character progression from rather shy and timid, to glamour diva, to strong woman at the end and I thought Beyonce played the role convincingly.

For those unaware, the movie has a few soap opera connections -- Sharon Leal (Michelle) was Daliah Creed on Guiding Light, Loretta Divine (the jazz singer and original Broadway Lorell) recurrs on Grey's Anatomy as Adele, and (if you look closely) one of the backup singers on the whitened version of "Cadalac Car" is Laura Bell Bundy (currently starring in Legally Blonde on Broadway) who was Marah Lewis on Guiding Light. There are also 2 Kentucky connections, Bundy is from Lexington while Keith Robinson (C.C.) is also from Kentucky (and a former Power Ranger :lol: ).

I simply love the music and I love how it is incorporated into the film (very hard to do believeably in a film adaptation of a musical) by both carrying storyline while also becoming a performance song for the various musical artists in the film. The only two songs that aren't stage-performance based that I can think of off the top of my head are "Family" and "And I am Telling You". My favorite songs from the film are definitely "And I am Telling You", "Dreamgirls", "One Night Only (disco)", and "Step Into the Badside" (the later of which I can't get out of my head!).

I also have to remark on how stunningly beautiful the movie is. The staged productions are flawless and whomever did the lighting should have gotten an award somewhere. I love how the Dreams are always striking poses. A few times when they do their group pose and then are lit in silouette, I kept thinking of the opening logo to Charlie's Angels, though. Am I the only one? :lol: And the gowns! Holy moly! I don't think there is a horrible gown in the bunch. I love the mermaid gowns from the Dreams' premiere at the Crystal Room as well as the teal gowns from the NYE show (although, they kinda remind me of the gowns worn by the Muses in the Disney movie "Hercules" :lol: ) and those final gunmetal colored gowns from the farewell performance! Stunning! The only gowns I didn't care for were the "Move" gowns from the talent show (which, naturally, should've have looked good since they were poor and just getting started) and the mod "Heavy" dresses. But, then again, the Heavy dresses were definitely representative of that time and period (and were something you would've seen on the actual Supremes at that time). And was that supposed to be Effie getting out of the taxi in Vegas in heels, but then showing up at rehersal in flats?! Minor detail, I know, but I'm a homo. We're concerned with such things. And I hated those flats, btw. It's the only thing that distracts from her performance. A true diva moment and she shoulda been in heels (and they would've gone better with that sharp suit).

I bought the DVD from WalMart with the special remix CD (which isn't as great as I'd hoped it would be. I've had the Club Mix of "One Night Only" since December and it's the best remix on the CD), so now I've got to go out and buy the special edition for the commentary and such. :lol: Yes, I listen to DVD commentaries and *all* of the Special Features.

And I cried. I cried during "And I am Telling You" and I *always* cry at the end (even after watching the thing a billion times).

And, no, Beyonce can't enunciate to save her life. IMO, it's the only thing distracting about her performance. Diction classes, girl, diction!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived