DreamGirls!

Queen_Nubia

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMIGOSH! You, too? LOL! :lol: I was totally expecting him to pimp-slap or pistol whip Beyonce a couple of times right then and there!

We saw the movie Christmas Day after dinner, which is usually our tradition. LOVED IT! A great ensemble cast, but Jennifer Hudson OWNED this movie and deserves every bit of praise she's gotten. I missed the original broadway show but did buy the soundtrack years ago. I think the original DreamGirls would have been proud. While I thought Beyonce did a good job (I had very low expectations), and I loved her son, "Listen," I don't get the Golden Globe nom at all. ITA with whoever said she was just being herself so I'm not sure how much "acting" was actually involved on her part. The one thing we could have done without was that silly montage. It's like we had to be bludgeoned over the head with "Beyonce is Beautiful; Beyonce is Diana Ross." Okay--we GOT IT already! Eddie Murphy was hilarious and I thought was channeling Little Richard and James Brown. The third young lady got little publicity, but she was terrific and quite funny! I loved seeing original DreamGirl Loretta Divine also.

• Members

Heh! :lol: So true! All the way down to "Call Me Miss Ross'" wigs, heavy makeup and other trappings. My sister and I were still trying to decide if Curtis actually loved Deena. The moment he told her mother she was a product was quite revealing to me. I also thought she was a trophy and found it interesting that she had to beg him to let her have a baby. I guess he didn't want her to mess up her figure and miss out on those other gigs.

• Members

Great catch, and ITA! Marvin Gaye was my heart and the What's Going On album is one of my favorites of all time. I remember reading years ago that Berry usually picked the songs he wanted the artists to sing and they all had the same formula. When Marvin came out with his concept album and wanted to produce it himself (GASP!), Berry had a fit but was finally forced to admit that Marvin was right.

BTW--I thought Eddie's character and the other DreamGirl had amazing chemistry. You could have knocked me over with a feather when it was revealed that old boy was STILL married 8 years later! :blink: I was like, "Girl, you need to take some of those album royalties and buy yourself a clue!"

• Members

Oh definitely, it was the little knit cap and the way they were standing at the mikes. He definitely turned from Little Richard/James Brown to a Marvin Gaye hybrid.

As for Beyonce...it did appear that she was playing herself and her voice started cracking me up when it got airy like my Diana Ross.

This will definitely be an interesting awards season for me.

• Members

I love WonderRobbie, Steve.

I saw the movie. Twice. In the same day. I went to a 4 o'clock show, the theater was halfway full (on a Wednesday! Incredible) and there was applause after AIATYING and the final number AND when JH's name came onscreen. People stayed to see her name, I could tell people were like "When the hell are they gonna show the name of the girl who OWNED the movie?" and then they did "And Introducing...Jennifer Hudson." Huge applause. Chills, mothereffin' chills.

The evening screening was even better! The theater was PACKED! And the audience started applauding halfway through The Song and after it and after the final number AND when JH's name came up. The applause was THUNDEROUS. Hoots and hollers. I have never experienced anything like it. Applause for a movie? WTF? They can't hear you,lol. Insanity. I was applauding right along with them. It was like a live show. I can still feel the excitement right now.

I want to see it again. Now. Dammit.

I thought Eddie Murphy sounded a little like Stevie Wonder in some of those songs, clearly not modeled after him but the social song seemed like one of Stevie's.

Jamie channeled Ike when he said "And I'll deal with you later." to Bey. Beyonce was very likeable in this, I had little issue with her performance, she had the moves down and of course, she's beautiful (the girl can't anunciate to save her life, I hate her accent). But so is J. Hud and this is her first movie and she blew it out of the water. Just owned the screen. When she wasn't on-screen the movie became much less interesting.

• Members

Some artist are timeless, the Masterful Marvin Gaye is one of them. "What's Going On" has to be the 2nd greatest album ever written, #1 is "Songs in the Key of Life." Gordy was a monster most head's of those record companies were; they used the artist to get rich then left most of them penniless. Colonel Tom Parker (who was NOT EVEN AN AMERICAN CITIZEN) is the reason Elvis died. That man had a gamble problem and Elvis was the one who paid for his habit.

Eddie Murphy better get a nod and the Oscar for his performance, he was incredible. I agree the chemistry between Eddie and that young lady was marvelous. And I couldn't believe he was still married either, she was very naive and in love but smart at the end and that is all that counts, her getting out when she didn't see him changing.

• Members

The lyrics of the song were a dead give-away also.

Beyonce is not one of my favorites, she was bland and continued little to the movie. She was trying to make herself into Ms. Ross instead of bringing something to the character she was only mocking the Supreme Diva. Not the way to influence and win over the audience.

• Members

Well, in fairness, she played the role as written, just as Sherly Lee Ralph when she originated the role of Deena. Jennifer Hudson was awesome, and the best part of the movie, as was Jennifer Holiday, on broadway.

On a related note, I still laugh at the fact the director insists this movie aint about the supreme & motown....yet he had Beyonce studying old Diana Ross footage.

Archived