DreamGirls!

Queen_Nubia

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, Motown was notorious for not paying its artists. Unless you were Smokey and producing your own stuff and writing for other acts, you could forget it. I remember Smokey once sharing an anecdote about a potential artist the label wanted to sign, and the first thing out of the person's mouth was, "Motown? Isn't that that label that don't like to pay its singers?" I lost track of the number of artists that ended up having to sue the label years later for their fair share! Marvin Gaye once said that at one point, Berry had his nose so far up Call-Me-Miss-Ross' bum that he couldn't be bothered with anyone else. Miss Ross was so ambitious, it was said she didn't care who she had to step over to get where she was going. Most of the female acts wanted to kick her ass: Brenda Holloway, Gladys Knight (who didn't want to sign with them to begin with because she KNEW what time it was), Mary Wells, Flo Ballard, and Martha Reeves, to name a few. If you got out of line, Miss Ross' favorite line was, "I'll tell Berry."

That's the one thing that I could say didn't quite ring true with the Deena character in the movie. It was like she was too good to be true. Are we really supposed to believe that she wasn't hip to what Curtis was doing on her behalf and that she was totally unaware as to how she benefited from it? :rolleyes: I think they handled the character with kid gloves in that respect and wondered if they were being hyper-sensitive to all the criticism Papa Knowles and Beyonce received throughout CD's tumultous tenure.

ITA about Eddie. This is the best movie he's done in years! I really felt bad for his character when Curtis cut him loose. The look of hatred on his face, I honestly thought he was going to get a piece. That's why the overdose/suicide shocked me!

• Members

I saw Dreamgirls yesterday and I really liked it (although I think Chicago was a tad bit better).

The standouts are clearly Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy. It's funny, on American Idol, I didn't really like Jennifer (I was rooting for Fantasia and LaToya). But Jennifer was the heart of this movie, and I wish her continued success. During the "And I Am Telling You" scene, it literally gave me chills. People in the audience was clearly supporting her, and she got several applause afterward (she brought my mom to tears).

I was so happy to see Eddie Murphy in a good movie role (funny how I saw a Shrek 3 movie trailer while waiting for Dreamgirls to start). Jimmy Got SOUL!! :lol::lol::lol:

Jamie Foxx's character was an ass, but he played him to perfection. I think Jamie is an underrated actor. Even though he has an Oscar, you never read about what a great actor he is like you do with other actors.

Beyonce was alright, but her performance wasn't earth shattering (tell me again why she got nominated for Best Actress :unsure: ) Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but I don't think she displayed any acting chops. Maybe it's the way Deena is written, but I think anyone could have played Deena. But this movie will go great on her resume and I'd like to see her next acting role as a non-singer. But one thing that I can credit Beyonce for, is how she channeled Diana Ross. OMFG!!

It was good seeing Danny Glover again.

This is definitely a movie that should be seen at the movie theater. I'd like to see it again before it comes out on DVD.

• Members

I am supporting Eddie and Jennifer all the way in the Oscar race, if either of them actually win..*I* may cry.

"Jimmy want a rib...Jimmy want a steak...Jimmy want a piece of your chocolate cake!"...how can someone not win for that!

And it was so very nice to see Danny Glover again...he's like an uncle that you are always excited to see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally this movie came to my theater...and I just saw it.

First - this movie was Jennifer Hudson's. It was mainly about Effie. She was amazing - and some of her solo songs were outstanding! At first I thought her acting was so-so, but by the middle and end of the movie - she totally sold me on her performances as an actress!

Second - Beyonce was good - but bland, and never had a chance to shine. I think her performance scenes lasted longer in total minutes than her speaking scenes did. She was good, but for acting alone - her scenes in Austin Powers Goldmember were more impressive. Now I gotta give the girl props though - bc that one song she did solo about 'crossroads' - was totally outstanding and she definitely shined in that song.

Third - Eddie Murphy did an amazing job in his smaller, supporting role. The Golden Globes got that nomination right. I honestly didn't know Eddie could sing that well?

Fourth - I LOVED seeing Sharon Leal - I totally recognized her as the Boston Public english/choir teacher. I haven't seen her in forever, so seeing her was a delight. Also loved seeing her Boston Public co-star, Loretta Devine! 2 great surprises there! :)

Finally - I'm really really confused with all the award nominations that the movie is getting. I don't understand why Beyonce gets Lead Actress when she totally had a Supporting Role that honestly I don't even think she pulled off an impressive enough performance to garner. Not her fault - but the role wasn't written to really give her an opportunity to impress the Academy/Golden Globes. I honestly thought the 3rd Dreams girl (the one with Eddie's character) had a chance to shine more than Beyonce's role - she had more of a speaking part with fire under it. Now Jennifer Hudson - she was totally the Lead Actress of this film, and not at all a Supporting. I don't know why she didn't get the Lead - there is no way Beyonce's role was more of a Lead than Jennifer's. I mean the movie was about Effie mostly. I guess maybe Jennifer has more of a chance to win in Supporting? Either way, I'm rooting for Jennifer and Eddie to win!!!

• Members

I saw it and thought it was awesome. I thought everyone did a great job. Beyonce was better than I expected and I loved Eddie Murphy's part and Jennifer Hudson's. Although I was annoyed that Effie would let her kid live in poverty just because of her pride LOL. But that was just a little nitpick.

• Members

I loved this movie. I thought jennifer, eddie and jamie carried this movie. I wasn't impressed with Beyonce's performance, because she was just playing herself. I really hope jen and eddie win at the globes tonight, they both outdid themselves, eddie really did make up for Party all the time. :lol::lol::lol: I hope beyonce wins best song though for listen, too bad it got disqualified for the oscars for having too many writers on the song. I went out and bought the cd the next day after the opening. My faves on the cd are: When I first saw you(both versions), An I am telling you, One Night Only(both versions), Dream girls(the finale version), Listen, Patience, Stepping to the bad side, and Jimmy's rap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just saw the movie and I really wish that this movie was up for Best Pic at the Oscars. I thought it was very good, well-produced and directed. The cast was pretty good. The only one who kind of disappointed me was Jamie Foxx. Usually I think he is a great actor but I didn't think he was so good in this film. He just seemed like he was phoning it in. He almost seemed bored. Other than him, the movie was casted perfectly.

• Members

I just saw the movie and I really wish that this movie was up for Best Pic at the Oscars. I thought it was very good, well-produced and directed. The cast was pretty good. The only one who kind of disappointed me was Jamie Foxx. Usually I think he is a great actor but I didn't think he was so good in this film. He just seemed like he was phoning it in. He almost seemed bored. Other than him, the movie was casted perfectly.

• Members

As an undereducated muscial theatre geek, I went into this with so little knowledge. As expected, Hudson blew me away. Every relationship of her character was off the charts as far as chemistry and brilliance. And the phenomenal ending made me squee, that's how badly I wanted Effy to come sing with her "Dreamgirls" again. And she did. The end with Curtis and Magic had me scared, though. Oh man....lol. The music was great, too. I'll have to look into this show some more in the future.

Archived