DreamGirls!

Queen_Nubia

• Members

I went to see Dreamgirls with the family yesterday, and I loved, loved, LOVED IT.

Jamie, Eddie, Keith, Beyonce, Anoki, Sharon and Ms.Jennifer Hundson were all phenomenal.

The story, music, and acting were all great, but one of the best parts was the audience reaction to the movie, which made the experience even more enjoyable. There were thunderous applause for Jennifer Hundson as she was singing “An I am Telling You” during the middle and at the end of her performance. I as dying when I saw people standing up and shouting, “you go girl,” “take your time,” “sing it” and “tell him!”….especially considering this is Utah, were movie goers are mostly passive. Beyonce got a nice round of applause when “Denna” finally got some sense during the song “Listen.” And at the end of the movie, people were standing and clapping.

The whole thing was a great moving going experience. I went home and downloaded the deluxe soundtrack. The disco/dance remixes to “And I am Telling You” and “For One Night Only” are a nice addition too.

In sum, the movie gets two big thumbs for from me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jennifer Hudson OWNED this movie.

We all began to clap in thunderous appluase after her rendition of "I'm not going!!!" LOL, I was shouting ,"You go girl" and "bastard!' at the screen whenever Kurtis bullied Effie.

Jennifer and Jamie carried the movie through the performances, rendering the cast more in supporting roles. Beyonce impressed me but it seemed like she was just playing herself. The most moving scene involving her character was when Deena found out about Magic.

I'm seeing the movie again on Saturday.

• Members

lol, hence why she was cast, lol.

Oh, I loved seeing Sharon Leal as the 4th Dreamgirl. I had no idea she was going to be in the movie. I loved her on Boston Public as the music teacher.

Also, it was great to see Loretta Divine in the flick, the original broadway Lorrell....and a Boston Public alumni too, lol.

• Members

The movie was phenomenal! Jennifer Hudson completely blew me away. As many have said, when she sang 'And I Am Telling You..." the movie theater went wild...no wait...when we felt the moment calling, you could feel the anticipation in the room. When she finished the solo...people were applauding like we were at a concert...AMAZING!

I think each and every actor did a great job and I hope that this movie receives all of the accolades that it deserves.

It was also very funny at moments, because I swear Jamie Foxx channelled Laurence Fishburne's Ike Turner at least twice. ;)

• Members

lol...I guess our audience experiences are becoming pretty common...

DREAM OPENING FOR DREAMGIRLS, SAY REPORTS

Tuesday, December 26 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early reports indicate that Dreamgirls may have made a bigger splash than anyone expected when it opened on Monday in 852 theaters. Some venues reportedly added midnight screenings and allocated additional screens to the film after selling out existing tickets a day in advance. L.A. Weekly columnist Nikki Finke wrote on Monday, "The target audience had been African-Americans, gays and upscale whites. But now the movie is playing bigger than expected with white audiences in general. Anecdotes are starting to come in of audiences cheering and clapping and crying." While Finke wrote that the movie was originally expected to do about $4.5 million in business on Monday, ShowBIZ Data estimates that the take is closer to 8.4 million.

For a complete list of ShowBIZ Data's Monday estimates click here: http://www.showbizdata.com/dailybox.cfm

• Members

lol...I have been doing the same thing. "We're your Dreamgirls, boys! We'll make you happy. Yeah... We're your Dreamgirls, boys! We'll always care. We're your Dreamgirls... Dreamgirls will never leave you! "

lol...I think me, you and Venus need to get together take this on the road ;)

I am also digging the Disco version of "One Night Only"

Archived