November 27 - December 1, 2006

R!ck

• Members

I think some of these numbers might be wrong in regards to how much some of the soaps went up.....for instance, Passions went up .11, not 1.01, correct? Just thought I'd point that out, I got really excited for a second thinking some of the soaps skyrocketed this sweeps, haha. :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks Rick for those numbers. The November numbers seem worse for most of the shows but the November numbers vs October seem better for most shows so I guess the news is mixed. If Passions had actually given us payoffs in November instead of building things up and backing out, they might have really done well. The other surprise is even with al GH did in November with L&L they were still down compared to May sweeps, which is kind of sad.

Looking at this, I guess I can't complain about Days since it seems there has been some improvement. I just wish some of the people ademption is talking about in his post will give it a chance. It has been really rough the last few months with how up and down it's been but this month has been solid so far. This feels more like sweeps IMO. As for J&M fans, if they are complaining that is just unimaginable. That is one couple Hogan has done wonders for (along with LUMI). J&M have had great stuff since Hogan and even with Beth so whatever the J&M fans are bickering about I find it hard to take them seriously. There just seems to be some fan groups that have been against Hogan since two weeks in and won't give him a chance or change their minds about him. Things take time and I think it's been pretty amazing how Beth and then Hogan have changed the show for the better. It has ways to go but December has been good so far minus the Bope stuff. That fanbase has a right to complain and maybe even Shelle and Steve/Kayla (even though I don't think any fanbase should complain just yet) but the J&M fanbase and LUMI fanbase really have no reason to IMO.

I hope for much better numbers for Days next week and beyond with what is coming.

• Members

Let's not play games here. The November versus October numbers don't mean squat. OLTL is hurting and it's hurting bad. The fact that it is .05 less stinky in November than it was in October doesn't mean anything. It remains a buttom sucking soap and soaps altogether are not doing well. When OLTL and AMC are competing on who is next to the last, it is a problem. When an advertiser looks at those ratings, they think, hmmmm, I'll invest my money in this soap first and this soap last. Two of ABC's soaps are going to be considred last.

I agree with Steve Frame on GH. It did hold its audience after Luke and Laura. That won't last long if it doesn't change its focus, but for one week, it did OK.

Cal was right about OLTL. There is nothing to watch and really no hope.

I think the soap that is consistently being underestimated is DOOL. Everything about that soap is heading in the right direction. It gets better every month. It is on many days the best soap going. If it stays consistent, and Hogan doesn't get derailed by the brass or fall victim to people wanting a miracle cure, then I really believe a year from now it will be a very very good show.

I honestly sense that NBC is the network that is saying OK let's see if there is a market for daytime dramas anymore. To be blunt, DOOL is the let's fish or cut bait soap. They are bringing back characters who sell and they are writing traditional good stories. One year from now, if DOOL keeps it up, we will know something about the future of daytime and whether the generational gap in daytime viewing can be closed. Either there is a market for this type show or there isn't. I want DOOL to keep it up though. They are the one soap who is saying OK, let's see if there is any point to the genre anymore.

If they stick it out for a year a lot of questions will be answered.

In regard to the networks: CBS is doing well and is the most consistent; NBC is telling us the future of daytime; ABC is a slut with no appeal beyond some momentary satisfaction.

• Members

Of course it would of helped if Hogan had started before October. People were expecting that he could come in snap his fingers and everything would be hunky dory. This is the normal amont of time for his storylines to heat up and start becoming interesting. If he had started in September they would of been hitting during November sweeps.

• Members

CBS Media Release:

Household Ratings

Week of November 27-December 1

The Top 12 Regularly Scheduled Programs

1. THE PRICE IS RIGHT 2 CBS 4.4/16

2. THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS CBS 4.2/14

3. THE PRICE IS RIGHT 1 CBS 3.7/13

4. THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL CBS 3.1/10

5. The View ABC 2.9/10

6. General Hospital ABC 2.6/08

7. AS THE WORLD TURNS CBS 2.5/08

7. Days of Our Lives NBC 2.5/08

7. All My Children ABC 2.5/08

10. One Life to Live ABC 2.4/08

11. GUIDING LIGHT CBS 2.3/07

12. Passions NBC 1.5/05

http://members.aol.com/jason47b

• Members

Here's my take:

CBS is strong. ABC and NBC may have vocal fans, but CBS can turn out some viewers because they have rarely strayed from the foundations that made each one of their soaps classics. Y&R is creatively in a holding pattern, but better a holding pattern than a decline. B&B is in a rut, but with Y&R's lead-in in most markets, the show should remain unphased for now. Also, B&B's casting keeps the show's buzz at a fever pitch. I guess if Bell can't come up with new material to boost ratings, he will just get creative with casting. The good news is it works, the other arguement is, for how long? ATWT is great, and it's retained it's nature through the years. It's healthy to say the least. Lastly, I can see GL remaining steady and having some bright points on the ratings charts. It recently proved it can rise, and probably will again from time to time.

CBS is Still Strong.

NBC is my network of choice and is stable. I expect Days to do well this month. It's rising from the ashes like a pheonix :-)! I love what I see. Passions is campy as usual. I don't see in doing much better, but with Days lead in I don't see it doing much worse either.

NBC will Most Likely Improve.

ABC is a fan favorite, and has the potential to be daytime's most watched network. That won't happen right now. It just stinks. GH needed to keep Francis and table the mofia, but no luck. AMC is just disjointed and hard to follow. It seems like it wants to be cutting edge, but instead it comes across as trying too hard to be hip, making it seem silly. OLTL is a narrow little soap. It's like Higley is convinced there are only seven characters on the canvas. She almost killed Days, and she's making OLTL anemic.

ABC Has The Most Potential, BUT Needs Help!!!

The Good news is, Daytime isn't losing viewers by the droves! Y&R, ATWT, and Days are at this point Quality serials that have strong casts and decent writing. I expect that these three soaps will be rounding out the top four in the ratings race this year, along with B&B. Something like this

1) Y&R 2) B&B 2) Days 4) ATWT.

That order, IMO, will be standard by May Sweeps. I expect Days to start tying B&B and ATWT to be nipping on both of them.

• Members

I sure hope your right ;)

I love/adore GH! I can't take it any longer! Frons/Phelps are killing this show they've dragged GH to the pits of hell and have destroyed more history in the last four months since the creation of this soap! JMO!

I feel like Frons has personally B!tch slapped me! With "how he wants story lines to go and doesn't give a flip to us that have stuck it out through the hard times! I may not agree with the story lines but change character history "just because" is insulting! I'm done until Sweeny and ABC wake up and throw these two uncreative asses out!

Archived