Saturday Night Live: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The real tragedy about Dave Chappelle is when he tries, he can still be very funny and very insightful, including about political issues (policing, etc). I saw some of his monologue and a fair amount made me laugh. The problem is that like many top comics before him, he's gotten so caught up in lashing out at the changing times and being a contrarian that he lost sight of his own place in the larger matrix. The contrarian pushback too many comics fall into has become his major identity. I don't believe the Dave of 20 years ago would be cheering becoming a (somewhat volatile) hero to the alt right or bigots.

That's my only commentary on tonight!

Edited by Vee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It was odd to me that it seemed like a skit that would have been written in 1987 about the unfortunate choice of stunt people for Crystal and Alexis on Dynasty, rather than commenting on anything about contemporary media.  It also replayed much of the humor from the RuPaul/Bowan Yang scene from last season.  And, as is the case for most SNL sketches, they couldn't figure out an ending.

Edited by j swift

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Several of the 'lost generation' cast members in that were very prominent and popular...

Cecily stayed a few years too long (although I would guess she wanted to leave in May and Lorne pushed her to stay longer), but she's an absolute gem who could have been a star in just about any period of the show. I hope she has a decent sendoff. I'm surprised it was released this way but that may have been her choice. 

She's the first woman in 20 years who isn't leaving midseason because of pregnancy. 

• Members

Honestly, I had forgotten that she was leaving the show, lol! I was busy doing computer stuff and was watching the whole show in its entirety laughing of course, but it didn't phase me when Cecily's truck woman character announced that she was going to prison during Weekend Update. Finally, it was the Blue Christmas skit that made me realize Cecily was leaving. What a sweet goodbye tribute and very fitting for the holiday season. 

Please register in order to view this content

• 3 weeks later...