August 21-25, 2006

Toups

• Members

I wouldn't worry about it. J&J have been barely on and many J&J fans have been so screwed with over they years I think many left already. The writing is good and the show is on major high. The ratings this summer show that if things happen and the stories are decent and move regularly the show will do well and that is why Days has had a fairly good summer in the ratings while others haven't. I know many people who are ABCD fans that are starting to turn on Days and like it. Days is really going to start surging-word of mouth is so good for it right now and peopel that read Hogan's plans will be hyped as well. I am not saying J&J leaving or Carrie/Austin won't matter but I think the writing and stories are the key and if they keep up what they have been doing Days will be just fine. With so many other shows in freefalls, Days may be at #2 sooner then anyone thinks :lol: .

I just makes me so happy to see how well they are doing all the way around. Days and Y&R have really bee the big ratings winners this summer it seems as everyone else is either falling or staying put.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although "Guiding Light" predictably fell back after hitting its 2.3 ceiling last week, it did manage to beat the venerable "General Hospital" - its national time slot rival - in viewers on Friday. Considering that GH gets more press and attention than GL does, this has got to be good news for Barbara Bloom and the rest of the CBS Daytime executives.

• Members

That IS good news. What I hope is that GL overtakes one of(if not ALL) the ABC Shows. Considering how GL is shown at 10AM to half the country anyhow, that is a VERY impressive number. I bet with a better HW, the show would get a second wind.

GL simply has better actors and more "human" storytelling. Does that mean that it's the BEST written soap on the air? Hell no.

But GL seems to be more about the human condition than GH. Maybe that's why GH fans, sick of seeing the same damn [!@#$%^&*] time and time again, are crossing over to Springfield.

• Members
Agnes, you are ON lately. Your AMC/ABCD-related commentary slays me and is deadly accurate most often (got a give you a margin for error and difference of opinion). :lol:

Aaaaaah, AMC was like that at on time...many moons ago, say July 2003 and before.

Go GL, DOOL and ATWT! Kick ABCD's collective asses!

• Members

The hot girls and self entombed coffin fetus, will cure all that ails AMC. MMT is a friggin genius. :rolleyes: I have a feeling in a few weeks AMC's 2.4 is going to look like a high point. ;):D I hate that my beloved AMC has been reduced to this, but something has to give to finally get the Trash taken out. The Josh blacklash didn't work, etc., if this is what it takes, so be it. I say, bring on 2.0. :)

• Members

Aww, the thread title just warms my heart. :D ABCD is going downhill fast. Frons must be sh!tting himself, given that GL beat ALL 3 ABC soaps last Friday! It is my deepest wish that GL takes over and beats either AMC or OLTL in the ratings. GL in my opinion is a great show that gets bad ratings. :( They may have kissing cousins, but the show is still more enteraining than all 3 ABC soaps combined.

• Members

GL is currently competing against other soaps with a handicap not being accounted for. From what I understand/ have read on this board, GL is not shown in some markets and shown at strange times in others. And yet its rating are not hugely out from other soaps.

Maybe if CBS/P&G/Nielsen did a proper breakdown analysis by area, one would find GL attracting higher numbers than other soaps on a like for like basis. CBS could use that as a basis to persuade affiliates to screen the show at a decent time / pick it up again, boosting numbers etc. As it stands, its gotta be cheap to pick up, because of it's low ratings and particularly its low demos. I doubt, on a like-for-like basis, though that its demos improve a lot - it would probably skew older than GH.

As it stands, GL is probably picking up higher ratings than many of it competitors in markets where screened at a competitive time / screened at all. Imagine what numbers it would have if it had the distribution of say GH, for example?

• Members

Mulder sorry but that is a matter of opinion. I gave up AMC before I gave up OLTL, but I find both equally as bad right now. GH I can still watch depending on who is on, but on both OLTL and AMC when my favorite characters are on I can't even watch. The writing and all is just so bad on both of those shows. I tried to watch the Vicki scenes the other night and the Kevin and Kelly scenes and I ended up turning those off. And Tad and Dixie are my faves on AMC and I don't even enjoy their scenes at all anymore.

OLTL is terrible, and I for one think both it and AMC deserve to be where they are at. Higley, Frons, McTavish, JHC, and FV have done what they wanted with the shows despite the fans objections. So let them look at lower ratings and bad revenues for awhile because of it.

• Members

Good for ATWT. I like that the show is staying constant in the HH ratings, and seems to be gaining ground w/ overall viewers (which IMO is better b/c it includes people like me! :))

ARGH! GL needs to start gaining on the ABC soaps! I'm still waiting for the week when GL's above one, two, or (hopefully) all three of them.

Archived