Is it just me or all soap lovers crazy?

• Members

I try to explain to people why Daytime is going down hill and who Fronz, Bloom..etc are and how they like to micromanage things. Nobody seems to understand daytime serials. Also, I hate how people don't understand that you just can't run out of material in daytime (ideally) because it is basically an "open-narrative serialized drama centered around characters and struggle" so basically you can't "run out" unless it's plot driven. Also I prefer Daytime to Prime Time because serialized dramas are on daily and I love old daytime because it is so compelling. I try to explain to people some social issues that were compelling and people are don't believe me. I have tried to show people clips from the good old days and people make comments like "Wow that is Cheesy acting" or "Wow this is a soap". Clips such as Laura's death (The whole 2 minute scene, not the edited version) are always knocked. People tell me "Wow on GH people were having an argument in the waiting room that is to unbelievable" and I am like "On every primetime drama with a hospital there is an argument". I can't tell you how many times someone asked "What do you watch" and I respond with "Dynasty, All My Children, Dallas" and someone will say "All My Children? The soap?? I never watched soaps but I loved DYNASTY"

Redundant??

How do you people deal with this?? Am I normal or am I crazy? Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe it is an Australian thing, but nearly everyone I come into contact with watched Days at some point in the 90's, even briefly and thought then and now that that era was awesome. So it is easier to have a conversation about other shows. I can easily bring up the fact Kristen has returned (in the states anyway) and most people love it. I don't know, I always talk about stuff I like as if it were some new invention and everyone is missing out, so delivery makes a difference. but mostly just accept people don't like the same stuff and don't see things the way you do, no one is wrong, just different. I am sure there is a show you hate that others think is great, and they can't see what your problem is, so best to just accept those differences.

Or

Maybe you just need new friendshappy.png

• Members

As a life long Star Trek fan all I can tell you is that it's a waste of time trying to explain why you love what you do to other people. The sooner you release yourself from the belief that other people have to "get it" the happier you'll be. There's no bigger waste of energy in life than trying to make another person care about something.

• Members

Thanks for the responses but I can't stand it when people talk smack about certain elements daytime does while primetime is just as bad such as hospital scenes were people fight. I hate hypocrites but that is something i ma have to work on...lol

• Members

Some soap lovers are, in fact, batshit crazy and they prove it time and time again with the stan wars that have exploded over the past decade or so. Whether it'd be sending an actor/actress death threats for spoiling the couple that they stan for or actively browbeating HWs and EPs to skew the writing towards their favorite character's favor (to the ultimate detriment of the show), they reinforce the notion that some viewers are two bananas short of a fruit stand.

• Members

Unfortunately I think this is a byproduct of the Internet as much as anything else - I'm not saying that it's caused by the Internet, just that it's all out in the open now and that ramps up the attention-seeking. When I read about fan reactions to a primetime show, like Supernatural, the cast get a lot of fan support, but the actors also get ugly threats, as do their wives - in no time at all, when one of the actors was revealed to be having a baby with his wife, someone on Twitter started wishing death on the baby. It's ugly stuff.

As for the rest, I never talk about soaps with someone unless they bring it up first. You can't tell someone that you like something on a soap and hey you should watch this. Most people think of soaps as dead, or as parodies of parodies of parodies. Let them change their own mind, if they want to.

• Webmaster

I'd personally rename this thread and remove all and replace it with many or most. I'm a soap lover (whether I watch everyday or not) and I'm not nuts. At least I don't think I am. Self: "Are you crazy?" Self: "I don't think so, why, who told you that you were crazy?" Self: "Apparently there's a thread that thinks all soap lovers are crazy." Self: "Really? Well you're the best person I know, so if you're crazy..."

I was just kidding of course, wink.png. Although I do still think the all is wrong.

• Members

Of course some soap opera fans are crazy--and the net, for all the great it does, brings out the craziness in general with any fandom. Because, yes, those crazy fans exist, but also because the format of the internet makes it easier for people to do things like "troll" that they never could otherwise--I'm sure some of the crazy seeming fans are fine in person (and then many prob aren't... tongue.png )

As for the original post--I wouldn't sweat it. I've always had interests that just don't interest many people I know--since I was a kid. No 10 year olds I went to school with wanted to discuss Marius Petipa's contribution to ballet, or how brilliant Stephen Sondheim musicals were. I went to one anime/manga convention when I was 15, thinking I'd find more friends who liked the stuff I liked, and was horrified by most of the people I saw. Sure, over the years I've met people who have loved some of the same stuff (sometimes because of my influence, but I don't go out of my way to force something on them). And sure as a teen I sometimes was offended that people wouldn't be willing to give something I found so wonderful a chance. But I got over it. And being able to discuss such things on forums has helped with that a lot, actually.

I've been just as bad about some other things--I grew up with friends who liked wrestling like the WWF (which was mentioned here of course), and Star Trek, and while I appreciate that if they like it there must be something there I'm not seeing, but, meh, I can't be bothered, à chacun son goût.

• Members

I have noticed that a lot more peoplewatched soaps at some point in their lives, than admit (though by this I mean they followed a show for a few years--never got obsessed with the genre like me). I've been to parties where a bunch of people of my age range, drunk, suddenly reference something like Janet in the Well from AMC or, even more likely, Marlena being posessed. Of course both of those soaps were pretty hugely rated when those stories aired, so it was more likely they were aware of it being more part of the pop zeitgeist, but... And being drunk I guess, while laughing about the stories, people seem to have no worries about also showing how much they enjoyed them.

• Members

Exactly. Some people--say a boyfriend or whatever, might feel the desire to try to watch with you and get it--and in my experience sometimes they take to it. But you can't take it personally (to be fair I've never had anyone, even as a kid, mock me for any of my interests in which case I may take it more personally--but I don't make a big deal about advertising them nor do I hide them). But as Marceline says, you can't make someone care about something--it's like that old cliche, when someone lends you a book they really want you to read that you've never heard of--chances are it will just sit there on your bedside table unopened.

• Members

The GH SHIPPER contingent, especially those who actually wanted their favorite females paired with a brain-damaged serial killer, IMO, are pretty out there.

The GH SHIPPER contingent, especially those who actually wanted their favorite females paired with a brain-damaged serial killer, IMO, are pretty out there.

Archived